Gallus gallus, your bright eyes
love the things that I despise
spiders with their bristled legs
you eat, then lay my breakfast eggs.

Fleshy worms, slimed with dirt
for you are but a sweet dessert
and hopper’s whirring through the air
with wizened face and big-eyed stare
(I swear they aim straight for my hair.)

These creepy crawlies in the grass
once through your pointed maw have passed
become the most delightful things
from fluffy cakes to sweet meringues.

My little low and humble bird
I've learned to venerate your turd
when tossed upon the compost heap
come the Spring I’m sure to reap
most bountiful rewards.

And all because what I despise
is beautiful
in your bright eyes.

Love the poem. I also like your pretty coloured chickens.

I really want to get some chickens. I just need to figure out a place to keep them safe.
Thank you. Smile I am having a blast with my girls and there is no comparison when it comes to the taste of their eggs and store bought. Didn't someone on here raise chickens? ILoveJoe, I think. She inspired me to get my chickens. I built my little coop all by myself and it was fun to do. I'm hoping to build a bigger and better one next summer, then try actually raising some chicks.
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Love your poem! After having to gather eggs from a bunch of cranky hens as a kid, I've never wanted to deal with chickens as an adult. The different breeds are interesting though and no doubt, like with most home grown stuff, it's waay better than store bought.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
I LOVE it!
Ironically my chicken coop no longer has chickens but most recently housed a feral cat AppyGirl named Cooper and last night a pair of black snakes were having an intimate moment there. [Big Grin]
Your chickens look very happy and healthy and I miss the fresh eggs.
I loved the poem! Yes, the fresh eggs are the best...never did like dealing with chickens, though! Good luck with your venture, Monte, and thanks for sharing your poem!

EZ2SPOT
Thanks ladies. Smile

PaintGal, I can't blame you there Smile.

ILoveJoe, I remember reading your stories about your chickens and rooster's. Always got a chuckle out of them and the 'freezer camp' references.

EZ, thank you for the good luck wishes! Smile
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC