Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arthritis and riding
colleen--chiro's out for me. My dr is worried they will do more damage than good to my multi issue spine. (more issues than just arthritis, unfortunatley).
WTW- glad to hear you are back on your feet. Spine issues are scary things. Your situation sound pretty tramatising. About saddles, I am not able to cope with anythign over 20lbs on a good day which is sad as I am 39. But with neck/shoulder issues it is all I can handle. I ride in wintec as it about the only saddle around here that is light enough for me to swing onto 16hh. Majority of saddles people have around here weigh 30lbs or more. hmmm Wintec does have a barrell model though.. There is a shop here where I can buy TENS maybe I will break down and buy one. and look into massagers. You are right in that one should keep moving. I think that because I DIDN'T move much all winter, it caused issues when I did try to start riding again-leading to the discovey of arthritis in low back. If I had been able to ride all winter I wouldn't have known anything.
This flare is beginning to settle some after 4 weeks. I am hoping it continues so I can get back to riding in the way that want. Or a close approximation of anyway.
Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens
Cayuse, very sorry to hear about your arthritis and pain woes.

I have issues from the waist down for years. My balance is still an issue as is pain. I agree, horse activities of any kind distract the pain!

Some good advice from from everyone...I am all ears myself.
My 2cents:
Warm weather helps
A beer now and then too
Abetta saddles are about 14-20# Shipping might be free on some sites?
Mrs. Hook has given me some good herbal/natural remedy advice in past...I might look into some of her suggestions
Got a Yoga DVD and mat for mother's day to try to strengthen overall but mostly help my balance, gonna start this weekend (geez, hope it is the senior version!)
PT can be really helpful.
Can you do anti inflammatory meds?

My back issue started after a riding lesson years ago..dropping stirrups and arms out on a lunge line. Probably the bouncing set off trouble already present in my back. Ironic, as were trying to work on my balance issue from pelvic injuries... So, gaited horses sound like good idea. Not sure why I don't have one!
Minis and a cart : maybe in my future.

Let us know how all goes. Be interested in what you find works for you. Take care!

FB, there should be a "fractured bones" club and you need to be the president - lol

All these war wounds of mine are precisely why I went to gaited horses 23+ years ago. It was that or never ride again and, as it were, the PT told me to give up riding altogether. I gave up a bunch of stuff but horses and snowmobiles weren't on that list - lol

My troubles started when I was 12 - lol lol My horse and I unwittingly rode over top a pheasant who then decided to fly and hit the mare's belly.

I didn't have a saddle, went off and landed with the small of my back in a huge anthill. I was bent backward like a pretzel and part of the injuries were a fractured pelvis.

And so it began, I didn't stop there and mom continued to say "young lady, some day you will regret all these antics".

I think I was 27 the first time my back went out to where I was crawling on my hands and knees. My son was about a year old and my SIL had to watch him a few days. It was the first of a handful of crawling episodes in my life - the latest being this past April - lol

REally not funny for any of us but if I don't laugh at myself, I will get depressed over the fact that I can't ride anymore and I'm only 67.

Meaning, Cayuse, take this very serious while you're enjoying your lifestyle[Smile]

As far as driving a horse goes - that would not work for me unless the cart had car shocks on it. I can barely sit on the John Deere to mow; it hurts every time I hit a bump or small hole, even with the back brace and four Excedrin[8]
Hey Cayuse and walk......this may be the horse we need...easy to mount anyway.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXPKQG4o60g

quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

Hey Cayuse and walk......this may be the horse we need...easy to mount anyway.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXPKQG4o60g

Now that was way cool. The things kids can come up with. Amazing.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
fractured bones.. I can't take anti-inflammatories as I am already taking them for Crohn's Colitis.
it's pretty much Tylenol and limited amounts of robaxacet.

WtW I take everything seriously. I am no wild thing, wasn't even as a teenager. Grin. Horses are my one and only passion and activity in my life. They are my therapy in more ways than one--mental and physical. (I have anxiety and depression issues). So this whole situation is worrisome.
fb- that is some good pony to tolerate that form of mounting! hilarious. Are we limber enough to try that?
Cayuse
A lovely horse is always an experience...It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. Beryl Markham
Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all. Monica Dickens
I agree that is the pony for us.

What cute pair[Smile]
I would look into yoga,
Maybe you can the YMCA i don't know.
You can get book's and do it at home.
It help's me alot.
Yep, Mrs. Hook, it was me who recommended the book and it is a good and simple plan to follow. Very easy to do at home and only takes about 20 min. a day to do. I could tell the difference in my riding after doing these for about a month. My back never felt better and I could sit the trot so nicely.
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Welcome back, Montezrider! It has been a while, and I'd wondered how you were doing!

EZ2SPOT