Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dan James Clinic!
What a fantastic opportunity for some lucky people and their horses! Dan James, one half of the Double Dan Horsemanship team AND the winner of the 2014 Freestyle Reining Competition that was just held at the KY Horse Park is having a clinic in southern Indiana. If you've not seen his performance, check out the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHhKo0m312o

The clinic is May 24th & 25th and will focus on ground control. It will be at the David Davis Ranch in Hardinsburg, IN. Hardinsburg is about 30 miles west of Louisville, KY on US Hwy 150. The 2 day clinic is $300 to participate and $10 to watch. There is plenty of space for overnight camping.

For more info and to make reservations please contact Dave through his FB page https://www.facebook.com/forcefree7?fref=ts or give him a call at (812) 620-5707

I'm trying to get things worked out so Joe & I can join the fun!
You sure are lucky!! that's great!
Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

Very talented trainer to say the least, and riding facing the horse's tail and bareback is no easy feat. I tried it once and almost fell off because of how much it threw me off balance. The part where the horse does a spin by himself with the rider standing in front of him is amazing. It reminded me of how I used to have Dove do rollbacks on the lunge line in his younger days.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
So you and Joe are taking up reining? It should be fun! I though the video was amazing, and watched it over and over! Who wouldn't love to have that kind of communication with their horse?

EZ2SPOT
LOL! The clinic is on ground control. I want to learn how to spin Joe from the ground. [Wink]
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
Actually, I thought that was one of the best parts of his performance! About the only way I can think of to teach a horse to do that, would bhe to have two people, one riding the horse, and the other working on the ground. So I will be very interested in hearing how this goes!

EZ2SPOT
I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but I thought it interesting that the horse did better spins without the rider than with the rider. I thought the spins with the rider were just the tiniest bit out of whack. And then the spin without the rider was spot on. Makes me wonder if the rider truly puts the horse off balance when doing reining spins [confused2.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Interesting thought, Ginger.
Last fall I got with some reining trainers and asked for help with spins. I learned to start by urging one forward-moving cross step, then sit totally straight, put the hand down (no neck reining, direct reining or any other reining!) and let the horse know to keep spinning with just a bit of calf pressure. It improved the speed and the form of Seven's spins - we even won the non-pro reining class at a Versatility Ranch Horse show a couple of weeks later (as well as the overall non-pro title, as he totally ran away with the cutting class).
I was amazed at how well Sev responded to me getting the heck out of his way during spins!
"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
I didn't notice it specifically during the spins, but there were several times when the rider seemed to be off balance, and the horse was doing the best it could. In no way do I mean this as criticism; it still boggles my mind that Dan was able to do all this bareback!

EZ2SPOT
WOOHOO!! Signed up for the clinic today and I'm getting really excited about it. Dave didn't know the details yet but thinks Dan will do a performance after the clinic on Saturday.

Dave said he got to talk to Dan about the at liberty spins and I have the scoop on how Dan trained his horse! Dave says he has his Friesian doing "at liberty" spins in the round pen but not out in the arena yet. He trained Crusader to do it totally differently than Dan did!

Make your best guess as to how Dan & Dave trained the at liberty spins!
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~