Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it spring yet?
I just finished cleaning stalls and had to remove a couple inches of snow from Dylan's stall and some in the barn aisle that blew in through same stall. It's supposed to be zero or below again tonight and i'm going through hay at an alarming rate. I'm never a big fan of winter but this one is really getting to me. Cold, wind, and snow, all at the same time and unrelenting. I think it's time to move south. Or southwest.
I just checked the forecast, and it's scaring me all over again. -18F for Monday night. I hate to think what the wind chills will be. At least our well pit is totally insulated. I couldn't see hardly any of it peeking out of the snow coming back from feeding the horses a little while ago.

My workplace closed sometime this afternoon. I was supposed to go in for overtime today. My husband and I went to town around noon and got home about 1:30pm. Coming home, the snow blew hard across the highway causing whiteouts. I'm glad we didn't meet much traffic coming home, because the left hand lane was drifted shut in several places. I hate to think what it's like now.

Dove and Terra have been doing fine blanketed and in their stalls in the barn. Barn cats, too. The 20 degree F temps we've had today almost feel like a heat wave compared to how it's been, and they're talking a high of 30F tomorrow before the bottom falls out on Monday.
I just hope we can get our fuel tank filled by then or Tuesday.

Yes, I'm so ready for spring... for warm, gentle breezes and rides through forests and meadows. Right now that seems more like a fantasy than reality. My newest flute arrived today. A drone that plays with ease and has a beautiful voice. I can close my eyes when playing it, and see my favorite riding places filled with green grass and trees with soft green leaves... and warmth, definitely warmth.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Very cold here too, windy and snow squall warnings,just got home, roads are bad. I've had enough winter too. can't wait for the sound of the frogs....
Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

UGH.... We had a bit of a break today and Sunday is supposed to be even warmer then the dreaded ARCTIC VORTEX slams into us on Monday. We had a few inches of snow last night but most melted off the roads today and what didn't has refrozen tonight. Next week is supposed to be cold & colder but not much snow.

I'm going through hay pretty fast too. I'm really really glad I got extra and I can get decent fescue bales if I need them. I probably should go ahead and get some & start mixing.

I am very much ready for spring.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
Cleaning stall's out,cold!
Cleaned saddles hopeing it will
warm.This winter is something eles.
So much Wind!!! and 0 to-8 to 50 below
we all might think about living in Alaska!!
It is warmer there then here that's bad.
Keep are chin's up and hope for the best!
For those DE members who live in warmer climates, a taste of what us poor souls in IN are going through:

This drift is a good ten feet wide in our drive to our garage:

[Image: 100_1182.jpg?t=1390750092]

And this is the drive to our barn. Thought it nice of Sal to pose for this pic in her winter doggy coat:

[Image: 100_1183.jpg?t=1390750127]

Okay, last one. See that yellow siding peeking out of the snow? That's our well pit. Pretty well insulated from the cold and wind, huh. Believe it or not, we have a heat lamp on in there as well with a faucet trickling in the house:

[Image: 100_1184.jpg?t=1390750216]
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
WOW, RH! You've had way more snow than us and the drifts are impressive! Our snow varies so much down here. There has been more snow to the east of us including Madison where Cherri lives. As of last night, the whole county there was under the highest road condition warning and only those in emergency vehicles were allowed on the road because of the drifts in the dips and valleys.

It is a heat wave here today with highs in the 40s and some sun. I got the stock tank drained and the new heater put in. Those floaty heaters just keep a little hole open so I replaced the plug heater that died during that first really cold snap. The new one better last through this next one. [Sad]
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

WOW, RH! You've had way more snow than us and the drifts are impressive! Our snow varies so much down here. There has been more snow to the east of us including Madison where Cherri lives. As of last night, the whole county there was under the highest road condition warning and only those in emergency vehicles were allowed on the road because of the drifts in the dips and valleys.

It is a heat wave here today with highs in the 40s and some sun. I got the stock tank drained and the new heater put in. Those floaty heaters just keep a little hole open so I replaced the plug heater that died during that first really cold snap. The new one better last through this next one. [Sad]

40s? Like above zero 40s? What's that? LOL
--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Wow RH looks just like here, been very windy here. If your well is deep enough you shouldn't have any problems. Spring is a coming.
Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

Red Hawk, Mr. WTW told me to leave your pictures up so I can remind myself to quit complaining (that wasn't the word he used - lol).

We were 45 F at 5:00 AM today (Mon). It's all downhill from here.

By Tuesday night we will have a low of 4 F without the wind chill.

Wednesday is supposed to be the last "Polar Vortex" day and we expect to start a slow climb into the sun tan temperatures of the mid-40's.

We live an hour north of the AL border in TN. This is ridiculous. This is ridiculous for 90% of the U.S. as all of us are dealing with cold weather that is just not normal[B)][8]