Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Season!
Who takes precautions with their horses?

Joe is in his dry lot during the night anyway but I make sure to bring the donks in as well. I've started easing Joe back out onto pasture but don't let him out till mid morning.

The pasture is in front of and beside our house and we own on 3 sides of it as well as directly across the road. We do not allow hunting on our property but the closest neighbors do hunt. Fortunately, they are very responsible and careful. The others that hunt near us hunt on their land which is some distance from us so I really don't worry about the neighbors. It's the other idiots that think any woods is okay to hunt in.

I've enjoyed watching a couple of bucks browsing next to the woods in the mornings when I feed for the past week or so. One is quite a bit bigger in body size as well as antler size and he IS big. I hope they can make it another year and I'll see them again. I know deer are plentiful and need to be thinned but not MY deer! [Sad][Sad][Sad][Sad]

Muzzle Loader is in, where I live.

My horses come in at night 365 days but if I hear shooting in the early AM, I wait awhile before turning them out.

My road is nearly all farmers and nobody allows anyone but each other on their property to hunt, so I am very fortunate that risk to my horses is at a minimum.

I am also fortunate the fella 1000 feet away, thru the woods, is a county deputy. I wasted no time texting him to let him know Mr. WTW had seen a camo truck parked near his dad's old cattle gate three mornings in a row[Big Grin]

That should pretty much take care of that camo truck looking to shoot the big buck Mr. WTW saw crossing the road in that spot[Big Grin][Big Grin]
Bow season is in right now. Gun season starts the Monday after T'giving. I keep the horses in the first day and then turn them out, only in the back pasture, in late morning and bring them in well before dusk. The back pasture is situated so that a person would have to shoot toward the barn, house, or road in order to shoot anything there, and it is enclosed with white coated-wire fence. Usually the only hunters around are the guys who own the property next to mine and they are responsible and know there are horses here.
The only good thing about all the housing developments springing up around me, is that there's no hunting in the area anymore!

EZ2SPOT
Wide open farmland around us. Even so; by this time of year my horses are off our small pasture until spring and confined to our large barn lot... what we call "the arena".

Just remember if any of you folks ride on public lands that allow hunting; wear the brightest orange you can find... or better yet, hunter orange. The better hunters can see you, the less chance of getting shot at [Wink].
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown