Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Word: Fencing
This has been an eventful week for me during my :45 minute commute to work. Had a wreck on Tuesday morning and spent the past two mornings getting horses off the road and alerting owners. This is no small feat, considering I had to do this in a suit and heels!

Thursday morning, I encountered a big, black Percheron gelding on the loose. This guy is a repeat offender, as it is the 2nd time I've had to tie him up to a fence in hopes his owners will come get him. I suspect he belongs to one of the two Amish families that live nearby.

This morning, three of my neighbor's big spotted draft horses were out and I had to get them off the road and then navigate through his yard in the dark, almost getting eaten by his big Pyrenese dog, that really wanted to just lick me to death.

So, I guess the moral to all of this is: Check your fences and gates to make sure they are secure, as there seems to be a rash of escape attempts lately. Must be the cool weather!

I don't know the laws in your neck of the woods, but here in IN that's a traffic violation. Large farm animals loose on the road can cause serious auto accidents much like wild deer do. But in this case, the problem can be rectified. I know you don't want to get on bad terms with these people whose horses get loose on the road, but I'd start calling the sheriff's department about it. Once cops start fining horse owners for improper fencing for their animals and endangering the public, you may see results with no more horses wandering the roads [Wink]. JMO
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
I understand what you're saying RH, but I would hate to have a bad rapport with my neighbors. Who knows, some day they may have to put my horses up, too! Smile
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

I think if you own horses or cattle sooner or later, you'll have one or all get out! Years ago, we had a whole herd of cattle get out where a tree had fallen on the fence. I've had horses including Joe get out too. My neighbors horses got out one night which was scary but we managed to get them back in fairly easily. Fortunately, nothing bad happened to any of them.

There is another neighbor a bit farther down the road whose horses are "free range". They are always out and I have called the sheriff about them as have others. The "free range" horses have caused another neighbor's horses to get out and just this summer, I had to herd them back over the hill toward their farm to keep them away my place.

I'm glad you've been able to get the offenders off the road even in your heels & skirts!

Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by appygirl

I understand what you're saying RH, but I would hate to have a bad rapport with my neighbors. Who knows, some day they may have to put my horses up, too! Smile

Once in awhile I can understand, Appy, but you made it sound like this happens almost everyday. I can understand someone's livestock getting out once in awhile, but the way you said it sounded more frequent than that. Sorry if I misunderstood.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
The percheron gelding gets out a bunch, but he is not one of my neighbor's horses. I really don't know who he belongs to, but presume it is to one of the Amish families in the area.

When ya live in the country, you just have to be alert that at any given moment there may be some sort of livestock out and about. I have also encountered cows and sheep! I personally think they are all escape artists!

Who knows, mine may be the culprits some day (glory I hope not)!
Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Wow, PG, someone actually free ranges their horses? That is so dangerous! Yep, I would definitely call on them.

The horses belonging to my neighbors across the road get out quite a bit, because their kids don't fasten the gates.

My entire drive to work is through farmland. You see all types of fencing on properties housing livestock. I love the single strand electric wire fences that some folks use. I would not be able to sleep at night, because I would be worried to death my horses (cows or whatever) was out!
Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,