Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At Witt's End
EPM was one of the things I thought of as well, RH.

Dr. Willard spent a good amount of time checking Thunder out. He checked for muscle tone loss, which is a sign of EPM. He checked for flexibility and weakness in his legs. He pulled on his tail moving from side to side and had me walk Thunder off in a straight line to see if he walked well while he was tugging on his tail (he did). He criss-crossed Thunders hind legs to check his standing ability to see if he swayed or toppled (he didn't). He used hoof testers on his frog and heels checking for soreness indicative of navicular (didn't find any).

He said I may want to try rocker toe shoes on the front feet (I have natural balance shoes on right now), which pretty much work the same way.

If we have to go to the next level we will check for EPM exposure with blood work ($80) and exrays for navicular ($240).

Dr. Willard was trying to stay as inexpensive as possible at first, since nothing really jumped out at him on clinical exam.

At the end of the day, Thunder is 19-20 years old and he may just be having old man issues.

Doc mentioned a joint supplement injection that can be given weekly for a month and then once every couple of weeks, that is less costly than feed through supplements. So I may go to that at some point.

We shall see what the future holds.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Thank's for the info,on your horse
i would like to know what happen
later. If you have to get x-ray's ect.
Managed to do some trail riding Sunday at Shelby Trails Park in Shelby County. Tagged along with a couple of guided rides about :45 minutes each. First trip out, Thunder was a little hyped up and stumbled a few times. By the second round, he was calmed down and didn't stumble any.

So, I wonder, if his problems could be caused by inattention? If so, how do you get him to pay attention?
Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

My buddy, Dave, says to make a horse work when they stumble due to inattention. If they stumble at a walk make them trot a bit. I wonder about working him over rails or posts laid on the ground would help him learn to watch his feet. [confused2
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
I had the hardest time trying to teach Seven to pay attention to where he was putting his feet. I'd set up rails and poles and he'd plough right through them without paying one bit of attention. He'd also trip and stumble on level ground sometimes (usually in an arena, almost never on a trail).

The "cure" came in the form of little rings of bells (actually more like rattles) that Sandy dug out of her bag of tricks... they fit over the hoofs where bell boots would go. About a half hour with those things and he was picking his feet up, paying attention to where he put them down and was well on the road to understanding that he had to pay at least a LITTLE bit of attention to what he was stepping on. Now he is really sure-footed

I was amazed, and still don't really understand what happened there AG, but figured I should tell you in case someone you know has ever used those things. It was a good passive training tool that caused no stress and no chance of injury - and it worked!
"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
I thought of setting up some timbers/logs for Thunder to step over as I lunge him. I would try them first walking and then trying to trot him over them. Having said that, however, the paddock where I lunge him isn't particularly level/smooth ground. It has some dips and rises (just like you'd find on a trail I suppose), so I wondered how safe that might be setting it up that way?

AD, I was thinking along those lines today, wondering what I could put on his feet to get him to pick them up. Didn't want to put anything on that would harm him (i.e., chains), but I like the idea of rattles/bells. How did you get them to stay on? Were they on Seven's bell boots?
Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Oh, Thunder didn't stumble a single time today when I lunged him. Yay!
Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

quote:
Originally posted by appygirl

I thought of setting up some timbers/logs for Thunder to step over as I lunge him. I would try them first walking and then trying to trot him over them. Having said that, however, the paddock where I lunge him isn't particularly level/smooth ground. It has some dips and rises (just like you'd find on a trail I suppose), so I wondered how safe that might be setting it up that way?

AD, I was thinking along those lines today, wondering what I could put on his feet to get him to pick them up. Didn't want to put anything on that would harm him (i.e., chains), but I like the idea of rattles/bells. How did you get them to stay on? Were they on Seven's bell boots?

As I recall (it has been about ten years) they just clipped together like a bracelet. Sandy is at the NFR in Las Vegas, but when she gets back I'll try o get a photo... might not be a bad idea to put them on Sev again and see what he does.

He absolutely MURDERED a set of X-formed lope-overs in an NSHA trail class last summer. That was right he "slicked" a serpentine with poles laying between the cones - while everyone else was riding in big "S" patterns, I asked Seven to nicely side-pass over the poles, which he did perfectly without so much as a touch... the crowd yelled "show off!", then Seven proceeded to pretty much destroy the lope-overs ... I was laughing too hard to get upset with him, but that is NOT what judges want to see!!
"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~