Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Bees & Hornets in Hay Shed
Does anyone have any idea how to get bumble bees and hornets out of a hayshed? The bumble bees will be easy, as they are in the hay shed under some plastic, but the hornets are under the floor somewhere and we have no way to pinpoint exactly where their nest is. I called a pest control company and it is way expensive to have them kill them off.

I cant put any hay in the shed until the heavily armed infiltrators are killed off.

You do need to find their nest. Should be pretty straight forward. Get a can of raid, the kind that can spray for some longer distance.

Knock hard on the floor, get out of the way quickly and watch where they come out from under the floor. Use the Raid to keep the more agressive one back until you locate the general location of the nest.

Come back after dark and spray the whole can of raid under the floor in the area where you saw the hornets boil out.

Repeat until you get them all. Good hunting. Smile
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Hey Hook, are you coming through KY any time soon? LOL

Thanks for the info! Now to find a brave soul to pull off this amazing feat!
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

The longer you wait, the more aggressive they'll become. I don't know what else you can do but what Hook suggested. Maybe try to throw something heavy onto the floor and see if you can pinpoint where they come out. You'd be a little farther away and maybe avoid meeting one close up and personal. Another thought would be to get some of those insect bombs and set off under the floor but I don't know how effective that would be if they are in the ground. Are these yellow jackets?
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
I suppose you could close up the shed and empty 2 or 3 cans of raid in there and see what happens.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
The hornets are quite tactical in building their nest under the floor as we can't get under the sides because the metal siding goes to the ground. Also, I have about 20 bales (maybe) from last year's hay still in there ($120 value) that would be contaminated if I bombed in there. But this may be the route we will have to go.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

I can't visualize what the shed and floor look like! Is there a way to dig under the floor enough somewhere to lob one of those bombs in there? Could you put a tarp over the hay to protect it? The nest is probably pretty close to where they are entering and leaving. Can you find it then spray into it?

Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
You should be able to move the hay out after dark.

Is there a beekeeper in your area that you might ask for some advice or perhaps borrow their smoker equipment?
Hook(ed)......on Horses

Yes, you're going to have to do everything after dark when they quiet down for the night.

Also yes, the closer to Fall we get, the more aggressive they are.

I opened the same gate I've been opening all summer long to bush hog the pasture.

There were bees up in the hollow of the gate that I had no idea were there ------ until this last time and out they came --- flew up the legs of my shorts and I got stung five times on the upper legs. Thank goodness they stopped with the upper legs[:O]

I went up to the house, got the Black Flag and emptied almost the entire can up in that hole.

I caught Mr. WTW at the feed store, told him to buy more and kill the bees in the barn as I noticed them starting to get a little feisty.

He took out three nests in the barn and I had only known about two[}Smile]

House flies also start biting this time of year because they know their time is short[Sad!]

If your hay is up on pallets, wait til dark, get on your knees with a flashlight and see if you can find the nest(s), then aim and spray.

If that isn't possible, you're going to have to move all that hay because I don't think bombing the shed with the hay in there will kill all of them.

For me, $120 worth of hay is only 20 bales and wouldn't take long to move. You could get a roll of garden plastic at Lowes or WalMart, roll it out on the ground, set the hay on it, cover it with the same plastic, then put cement blocks or big stones on the edges of the plastic so it doesn't blow off.

If you're in southern KY, we supposed to be rain-free at least until the weekend, maybe longer (I'm in southern Middle TN)so your hay shouldn't get over-heated under the plastic if it's just a few days[Smile]
Once you get the hay out how about just flooding them out?