Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hay
Okay thanks guys, very helpful. The farmer who is taking the hay from our land is using very large square bails but he says when we get horses he can cut the hay, give us half and he will take half but he will do our part in small bails. The farmers around here do a lot of round bails because they don't have to bring them in so fast as they say the rain does not penetrate them because of the way they are made.
Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

quote:
Originally posted by appygirl

How has your hay been this year, Hook? Have you guys gotten a ton of rain, too?

We have had a lot of rain this year. The first field we cut got rained on, and rained on, and rained on. Ed kept turning it, so we didn't lose it, but the nutrient level is really low. We are feeding it with some second cut alfalfa and everyone is doing well.

We got our second cut off with no rain, really nice looking hay. We are keeping our fingers crossed for a 3rd cut. Hopefully we will get a good stretch of drying weather the end of September.
Wow, PG, I want some of your hay. I buy from my neighbor and I know he's on the up and up and will only sell quality hay for horses, but I am seriously considering trying to find some less expensive and just keep my fingers crossed that it was put up right.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

I want to cry...though price is down a bit I think my last buy for Bermuda 18.95 or 19.95 (bales are between 110-120#)...fluctuates with the gas prices as they haul in from the central valley. I can only store 6-7weeks at a time.

I would think the round bales would get moldy in the middle if humid and hot weather?????
If put up right, round bales are just as good and keep like square bales especially if wrapped. The problem is them not being eaten fast enough to keep from spoiling if they get wet. Those with several horses that can eat a bale in just a few days should be okay. If only 1 or 2 horses are eating it, I'd try to keep it out of the weather until it's gone.

Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
Aha!
It has been hot hot hot here and humid; no A/C and you feel muggy 10 minutes after a shower!! ZHit 94 the other day, at least a bit cooler in the 80sand some breeze today. I moved my bales around a bit for circulation, but more worried about heat and combustion.

We lease 7 acres and grow our own hay. We cut and rake it and our neighbour bales it. We handle the hay on to the wagons and into the barn. Our average cost this year is $1.36 per bale. If we get a third cut it will go down a bit. Last year it was $1.17 per bale.

We use about 1300 bales in a year.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson