Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hay
Forgot to ask, what do you prefer, large square bails, large round bails, small round or small square. Is one easier to handle?
I like the ease of handling of the small 40 to 50 lb. square bales. I can move them when I need to rearrange for storage in my barn and they're much easier to bring down and open up for use. Unlike larger bales or round bales that sometimes need a tractor or special equipment to move, small square bales can be moved by hand. They are also more convenient for traveling and overnight trips with my horse, like camping out.

The only drawback is they're hard to find in some areas of the country where round are more popular for farmers when cutting hay.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
We have been getting oversized "small" bales for years now. Most small bales are 14" x 16" x 36", and ours are 16" x 18" x 42" and weigh in at 75-85 lbs. I had some high school football players help yesterday, stacking them 6-high in our barn, and still, so sore! What a great feeling to have it all done though...

Colleen, if you have a good tractor and plenty of room to break large bales, they can be quite a bit less expensive per pound than small bales. But otherwise, you will be much better off if you can find ones like RH is feeding. I'm getting too old for even those 'large small' bales, myself!
"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Red Hawk, that really makes sense, thanks for the feedback guys.
Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

I like the square bales. It's much easier to know and control how much you're feeding and the amount is easily adjusted. It seems more & more hay in our area is being round baled because it's easier and cheaper for the farmer to handle. So far, my hay guy is still square baling and I sure hope he continues to do so.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
I prefer heavier square bales. With one and a third horse (an Arabian and a mini), a round bale is just too much for them to eat quickly enough.

It has been a horrible year for hay this year with all of the rain and prices are reflecting it, too. Last year, I paid $6 bale and this year the cost is $7/$8 bale.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

We use the small square bales too.

Easier to handle, feed and store in the hay loft.

[Image: 1003296_627303693947109_840441137_n.jpg]
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
How has your hay been this year, Hook? Have you guys gotten a ton of rain, too?
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

I prefer small squares. I am short and I am now retired - those three twine bales are not only for the men to jockey around but the young men.

I have never liked rounds because I have always wanted to control how much my horses eat. Now that I have two horses with insulin resistance, it is crucial I control their hay intake. If they had a round bale, they would spend all winter on it, instead of roaming around the 23 acres and getting much needed exercise.

For me, storing small squares is also easier as we don't have a machine shed or an extension on the barn to accommodate storing extras.
Darlene,

I can't believe you're paying that much for hay! We had quite a bit of rain early but there is a lot of hay around my area. I paid $5/bale for alfalfa/grass delivered and put in the barn. I think that's what I paid last year too.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~