Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Daily Equine Drying Up?

And now I know the reason why DE will go days at a time without a post if members don't check in every day like I do. It only takes a few seconds if that, and I sure miss all the chit chat. Here lately it's been amazingly dead. Surely there's things going on that can be talked about, and too many times I've seen new members join with no replies ( I know I'm guilty of this too ), and they leave never to return. The forum needs to grow if it is to survive. Otherwise it'll stagnate, dry up, and blow away [Sad].

Red Hawk

Facebook gets all my time! Sad but true.

Beth

And this is the sad example of why the forum isn't near as active as it should be. Facebook is stealing everything that ought to be discussed here. Maybe I'm the lone voice in the wilderness, but there is no way I'm signing onto Facebook. Any other forum I've ever visited I can view without joining... but not Facebook. There's no way I'm going to sign up for something I can't experience before joining up, I don't care how popular it is.

Please people, let's bring DE back to life... or shut it down and make Facebook the official forum of DE. If it keeps up like this I might just quit coming here to a ghost town... and don't ever expect me to sign up for Facebook. No way, no how.

One last note: I check in to DE every day without fail. I'm beginning to wonder how many other DE members can say that these days.

Exactly what I've been saying for a couple of years now. Facebook is the death of forums. I enjoy facebook like millions of others but it is NOT the same as a forum. Most of my "friends" on FB are from the different forums that I belong to.

I've been out of cell service and internet service for sometime. We've spent the last 2.5 weeks getting to and camping in Montana. Getting ready to enter Yellowstone tomorrow for 3 nights then onto Cody for a few days. We're supposed to be home sometime the week before Labor Day. Maybe. When I get some time to get pics together and post about our trip, I will! Maybe 2 or 3 peeps might see it...
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
I check in every day too but my riding life has been nearly nonexistent since the weather has been bad and a lot of things going on. I'd like to live vicariously through someone else's riding life! Please post what you've been up to!

I belong to Facebook but I don't spend much time there. It's a great time waster and I'm not interested in most of what goes on. And I'm not about to get into the games. I've even considered closing my account.

I sure hope we can revive this board.
It does seem whole lot less active around here than it used to be. Sad

I's a self-perpetuating decline, too. I would be more likely to post random tales if there were more people posting, and I bet a lot of others feel the same way.

In the spirit of site-revival, here's a random tale of two weeks past...

NSHA (National Stock Horse Association) held a large-ish show here July 27 & 28th. A good friend was begging me to participate so Seven and I attended an all-day clinic on that Saturday, then rode in four classes (reining, pleasure, working cow horse, trail) on Sunday. Loved the clinic - really good trainers and all, and we did okay on Sunday considering that we had never done anything like this. It was much different from Versatility Ranch horse - the judges were looking for quite different things. Anyhow, all well and good... until the following weekend, when we went to a cutting.

WOOT! First time in the cutting show pen in a year, since Seven fell and I broke my ribs. I was SO ready! Barely started warming up when a guy rides up beside me and holds out his hand "Hi! I'm Pat Parelli!". I was trying to focus, so my gut instinct was to say "Good for you" and ride away, but because I love our little association I was polite, introduced myself and suffered a minor grilling about my horse, my experience etc. Anyhow, I went on my merry way eventually, got warmed up (I thought) and went into the pen for my first run.

I did learn a lesson - our first run was TERRIBLE! Seven had learned very well from the working cow horse clinic, that he should have his head on the cow's hip ("driving" position), which is exactly where you DON'T want to be when cutting. So we lost a couple of cows right away, and of course that put us out of the running. When time came for our next run, Parelli was already in one corner, and rather than risk offending him I sent my friend who was ready to hold corner out of the pen. Well, I madea bonehead decision within ten seconds, but semi-recovered from that and we did a whole hell of a lot better - but Parelli would not shut up for the entire 2½ minutes, which I found extremely irritating. I am used to having a trainer either in the corner or turning back, who will talk to me during a run, but it's usually just to point out a "wrong" cow, tell me we're "clear" (all cows are behind us except the one we cut) or such things.

I think Paarelli (understandably perhaps) thought I needed his help with every single detail - he probably watched our first run and was thinking "what a clueless horse and rider". Then when the run was over he was all congratulatory, as if we had put up a 76 or something, when we scored... I think it was a 67 or some such mediocrity. (Got us 4th place and a small check, but NOT something to write home about.) A little later, as novice classes were underway, Parelli and his entourage pulled out of the grounds in his massive rig, and he was honking his air horn and waving, WHILE PEOPLE WERE TRYING TO CUT COWS.

Upshot - next time I run into old Pat, I am going to ask him where Linda is. I think she seems a whole lot less overbearing and more fun to be around!

Sorry if I offended any Pat Parelli fans - but there can't be too many of them reading this, considering the state of the DE forums of late.
I love you guys/gals by the way. Hope to see more of you around here - I would never tell that story on facebook!!
"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Seems like you did pretty good!! and it always pays to be nice lol
Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

AD, loved your story and commentary on PP!!

I'm not a big Parelli fan. Guess you can't blame a guy for trying to make a buck though and people pleny willing pay for it.
Probably used to being the center of attention....but not yours!! [Tongue]

Sorry if he messed you up, but congrats on 4th...That is great!

RH is right...been quiet the last year. Pumps up, then not much.
I still check a few times/week. Maybe I'll post on my boring life.
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

Exactly what I've been saying for a couple of years now. Facebook is the death of forums. I enjoy facebook like millions of others but it is NOT the same as a forum. Most of my "friends" on FB are from the different forums that I belong to.

I've been out of cell service and internet service for sometime. We've spent the last 2.5 weeks getting to and camping in Montana. Getting ready to enter Yellowstone tomorrow for 3 nights then onto Cody for a few days. We're supposed to be home sometime the week before Labor Day. Maybe. When I get some time to get pics together and post about our trip, I will! Maybe 2 or 3 peeps might see it...

I'll be looking forward to seeing them, PG. I've always wanted to travel and never been very far away from home. Maybe... some day I hope.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
AD; I think I would've been telling Mr. P why Seven wasn't performing up to par. I will admit that Mr. P knows his stuff, but I definitely wouldn't want him throwing it in my face when I didn't ask for it. All I can say is you must've impressed him somehow, and he thought you and Seven had a lot of raw talent just waiting to be tapped. Otherwise why would he bother paying you the time of day? All-in-all you're tale has lowered my opinion of Mr. P. I had no idea he could be that rude and thoughtless. Fame doesn't give a person the right to jump all over someone else without just cause.
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

RH is right...been quiet the last year. Pumps up, then not much.
I still check a few times/week. Maybe I'll post on my boring life.

And I'll try to post more often. My problem is I'm involved with other things other than horses... like native American flutes... and EZ and I haven't been camping near as much this year because of family complications. Oh I'm still day riding at Salamonie and Lost Bridge West, but it's more or less the same old thing with nothing much to tell.
--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Agree that FB has taken a lot away from more than one horse forum I belong to.

I closed my FB account last year. It was supposed to keep me in the loop with family and friends that live far away. Instead it kept me in the loop with the kids arguing with each other via FB WHILE they're in school, for starters.

I can't ride anymore so I don't have much to say unless someone is discussing horse health issues. I still have four horses, ages 18, 19, 25, & 27. They have all slowly evolved into some level of Special Needs.

I took my first two Keepers to ages 27 & 29 with little more than getting 2/3rds of their family jewels cut off and a few stiches thru the years.

Horse keeping was a lot less grief 30 years agoSad

We have way more rain and "tropical" humidity than even this area is used to. That means Mr. WTW and I have mowed & bush hogged until we're wore out. Where we generally buy 120 - 150 gallons of diesel for the two bigger tractors, we have bought 240 gallons to-date.

And that doesn't count the gas for the little lawn tractor that does the back yard and all the tight corners in the barnyard.

Got a season's worth of hay in, Memorial Weekend. Beautiful locally grown mixed grass hay. It's stored in the barn, with plenty of air flow, on pallets, and I poured a generous amount of Kosher salt before we started stacking. The outsides of all the bales have turned a funky yellow from all this tropical humidity. No mold thankfully.

Others on another forum have mentioned the same thing and it's a first for them as well, so it isn't my imagination.

We had a really mild winter, this has been a great summer in that we have not had a lot of extreme temperature days. Just days where the dewpoint has been close to the % humidity. I can't wait to see what winter brings [?]

That sums my summer up[Sad]