Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DE Field Trip?
Oooooooo! That's a bad date for IN trail riders who are ITRA members. That's the weekend of the ITRA Fall Ride at MTR. EZ & I have had our reservations in for that since around January or February. It's going to be big this year too. Kim tells me the camp is sold out.

And I'm really looking forward to going. You'll never believe who I talked to recently, and she'll be traveling with me to join EZ. Care to guess [Big Grin]? Wouldja believe my dear friend Donna? Yep, you heard right. This will be her first time back into trail riding since she broke her leg a few years back. So not only will EZ & I be going to our annual weekend for the ITRA Fall Ride, but we'll have Donna's company too! Oh wow, is this gonna be fun!

Donna will be riding her Paint gelding, Jay [Wink]. And yes, I plan to take pics... and maybe even a video [Smile].

No offense, but I've been to Spud Creek. No thanks. Not worth the effort to even go there mainly because Salamonie and Lost Bridge has so much more to offer when it comes to trails... and it's only a half hour drive from me. Why should I drive 1 1/2 hours to ride flat level trails going through tiny patches of woods and wide open fields when I can get that and more in my own back yard? I won't be going, but Tippecanoe River State Park offers better scenery and trails than Spud Creek if want something in the same area as Spud. Just my 2 cents worth.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
My goodness, RH, the next time Chuck & Dale get the urge to do something special for the DE folks and the Saddleshop customers, all they will need to do is to re-read your post, and that should cure them of having any generous thoughts in the future!

For my part, I was excited to get the e-mail, and then disappointed when I realized it was the same date as the annual ITRA ride, for which I already had reservations. But for that, I would love to come.

I'm hoping the Potato Creek event will be well-attended, and that there will be a report and pictures here on the DE!

EZ2SPOT
Sure why not? But I sure wouldn't take a horse to ride the trails. Not worth it. Hope those that go have a good time in camp. The horse camp there is great, but I don't go to camp. I go to ride. So maybe I would show up just to visit and mingle if I didn't have other plans. I did think about that after my other post, but Tippy would've been a much better pick if anyone comes to ride and practically in the same area. JMO

And my opinion of Spud Creek stands when it comes to me personally. And it is the only modern horse camp in northern IN. It's just such a shame that the trails don't offer much except for a place to ride to those that live in the area. For that, I'm thankful for those folks.

Also it would've been nice if they'd asked for a discussion here first before making a final decision. Then they might've known about conflicting dates and other alternatives for something like this. I'm all for any get together of DE members, but this one was bad timing all the way around. Their heart's in the right place. They just didn't check things out with us. That's all I'm saying.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

Incase anyone is interested, Horse Saddle Shop will be hosting a trail ride at Potato Creek State Park in North Liberty, IN on September 14th. It's pretty informal. Just come whenever you can. Lunch is provided. You can get more info here - http://horsesaddleshop.blogspot.com/2013...-park.html

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the heads up but unfortunately we just can't make it.

It would sure be nice to see more of the Saddle Shop employees join in on the forum and tell us a bit of how things are going at the shop.
There is no shortage of experience and advice.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Thanks for the invite. Potato Creek is a little further than I like to trailer. Certainly hope you have a good turn out I'm sure it will be a day of great riding and socializing. If you host any rides in the southern part of IN, I'll be there!
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

THi
thank's for telling me about Potato Creek, i never heard
of.That sounds like a nice place to go.
I would like to go to the derby that would be fun
i have always wanted to go.

As for the Kentucky Horse Park...there is camping there I think so those that want to camp can but I don't know what the rates are. The hotels in the area range from the very pricey to the Super 8's. As far as my participation, it depends on how my mom is doing, how my MIL is, if we've got other camping plans and IF I can get someone to take care of the critters. Hopefully, Gary would sign up. [Wink]

The KHP is an awesome facility that is under used and under advertised IMO. I've been lucky enough to go to a few events there and know there is so much to do and see and would like the chance to go when there aren't huge crowds.

Fern> I feel your pain about critter care. I was able to get Amish neighbors to feed Joe & da Donks for me when we were gone and another gal to come to the house to care for the cats but to leave critters you love and are responsible for in the care of others is tough. I had NO updates at all on Joe until a couple of days before we got home and that was because I asked the gal taking care of the cats to check on him & send me a pic or 2. She is NOT horsey but decided that he was hungry and gave him hay. No clues about how much or where she got the "hay". From my discrete questioning, she didn't get the hay from the hay in the shed so I have no idea! Of course, I was in a panic that she found some moldy crap that I'd tossed to the side. The neighbor that usually cares for him had replacement knee surgery the day we left! I am NEVER leaving for more than a few days if she's not available to check on him.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
I have heard of a girl that will come and live in and look after everyone. We are talking some major dollars, but I may have to do that. I not only have the horses, but dogs and the parrot. I can't believe the number of people that are afraid of birds. They don't have to handle her, just do her food and water.

We have way too many to be able to take them somewhere to be looked after.
Found a link to the KY Horse Park camping info:

http://kentuckystateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/Kentucky_Horse_Park/r/campgroundDetails.do?page=details&contractCode=KY&parkId=90800&topTabIndex=CampingSpot
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~