Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trailering a friend's horse
There has been some great advice so far on this. PG, very good point from the insurance point.

My friend and I have gone on camping trips together where one or the other of us will drive and trailer the other's horse. We split the cost of fuel and ride together. When splitting fuel costs, the best formula (so to speak) is for the owner of the truck to fill up, at their expense, prior to the trip. Once reaching the destination, you should top off the tank and then fill up again when you return. This is the actual amount of fuel used for the trip. I had a difficult time explaining this to my friend who thought we should split the price of the first fill up as well.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Hi Cary
Great point to check on your insurance and what'scovered if there is an accident. I need to do that myself. It's a big responsibility to haul someone else's animal.

I have hauled other's horses a few times as favours for free or the gas money....I am no veteran hauler but safety minded. I am more nervous with someone elses horse.
One experienced gal told me she wouldn't haul for under a hundred dollars no matter how short a distance, not only the gas but responsibility. Though I hauled her horse for free come to think about it!!

I don't know if hauling to a place (trail/show) where you are mutually going to ride and sharing gas $ would be looked at differently than professional for hire. Safety and care would always be the issue. A verbal contract/rules...not sure if legally that would change things if an accident. Until I hauled myself, I didn't get what the big deal was....maybe that's the issue with your friend. I don't like unloading other people's horses, that would bug me for sure if she wasn't there.

Interesting thread.