Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Checking In
Hi all,

Just letting you know we're still here in Colorado. It has been a very rough stretch... after last summer's injuries (my wife broke her knee, I broke a rib) we lost our dear golden retriever to cancer in January. Then, last month, I woke up one morning and went to feed, and found our 28 yr old Arab "Chinook" in full colic, covered in sweat and blood, on the ground in his stall and all feet tangled up in the gate panel. I got him up, but he could hardly walk. By noon that day he was gone. He had been doing SO well... I am grateful that the last months of his life we some of his best recent times.

That left Seven all alone, and he has always freaked out when Chinook left him, though he's fine with leaving Chinook alone... So I borrowed a pony for a couple of days. When it came time to return the pony, I loaded both the pony and Seven into the trailer and went to the pony's house. Unloaded them both, let Sev walk around for a while, then loaded him back up and drove to the training barn where we often work. Rode fairly hard for a couple of hours, then brought him home. He walked into his stall, put his head down and commenced eating like nothing was wrong. Amazingly, it seems that his trouble had more to do with the "leaving" event than with being alone. He was fine for a couple of weeks (there are horses nearby, and I even left a gate open to let the two neighbor horses visit if they wanted to (they did). But the last couple of days, he has become agitated - he screamed at me when I left for work this morning - and he NEVER used to make any noise. ...Took a long lunch and let him gallop around the round pen for a while, walked with him to cool off and let him graze a bit. He seemed okay when I left for work again, but I am frankly worried about him. Mara doesn't want to get another horse right away, even though it seems like every other person we run into wants to give us one. One guy offered me a truly awesome cutting horse that he had for sale for $13,000 - for a thousand bucks, if I would promise to keep him. I couldn't even pull the trigger on that, since I don't know if I have the energy any more to campaign two horses...

The day after Chinook died, a litter of Golden retrievers was born to a beautiful bitch, in the care of a really great breeder, and we put down a deposit on one. He'll be picked up on May 24. Once the new pup settles in with us, we can think about a companion for Seven. Anyone know how to keep goats? (It might come to that.)

Hope everyone is doing well, riding well, and appreciating the company of those awesome people we call horses.

God bless you all.
You two sure have had a string of bad luck. My sympathies over the loss of Chinook and your sweet golden. Big hugs to both of you.

Congrats on the pup!! I've seen pics on FB of the litter and the pups are gorgeous.

Seven may still be grieving and maybe more time would help. On the other hand, there are plenty of "companion" horses that need a home. You wouldn't feel it necessary to campaign another horse and Seven would have a bud. BUT...the on going care & feed costs don't change.

We'd love to see pics of the pup! HINT HINT!!
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
Thank you PG - I guess that it's true - "into every life some rain must fall" or whatever that saying is. Overall we are so blessed... and look at THIS!

[Image: Puppies4-23-13.jpg]

AAAWWW!
"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
awww!! I can smell the puppy breath from here. [Smile] Look at those sweet faces and those little black toes sticking out. Waiting till the 24th would be really difficult for me but I commend the breeder for keeping the pups that long to give them the best start they can have.

Keep the pics coming!
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
Iam so sorry about Chinook and your retriever. I can't imagine the depths of your losses.

Don't know enough about goats...maybe a mini horse/donkey would be less cost? Poor Seven, rough on him too.

Congrats on the new pup...the picture almost makes me think of getting another one...(but not quite!) Sure are cute though.

Be interested to know what you end up doing.
My deepest sympathies are with you, AD. I had a similar experience when my Appaloosa gelding Warrior died of EPM, and then our dog Angel died not long after that of old age. All her organs just shut down, and she went from a healthy older dog to one on death's door in just a few short hours. I couldn't believe how quickly she went. She was a mixed beagle by the way.

One thing I know about goats is that I can't stand them. I had a bad experience with goats at one place I boarded at many moons ago. I have heard that they do make good companions for horses. So who knows? It might be the way to go. <<big shrug>>

That pic of the puppies is just plain adorable. Is your pup in the pic? And if so, which one?

One more thing; If Seven screamed at you when you left him, it might be he's replaced Chinook with you. Just a thought. Has he done it anymore after that time?
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
So sorry about Chinook and your dog! The puppies sure look cute.
I hope Seven is doing well alone. I have never had goats but did have miniature donkeys until last fall. Mine were never accepted by my two horses but at my friends house where they went to live they did bond with one of her horses. Maybe Seven will be more donkey friendly than my two.
Sorry for your lost, the puppies
are cutie's, I want to give them a hug.
God's gift.
It seems as we get older these types of losses get harder to take. Our treasures take part of us when they go. It helps to visualize them running free just over the Rainbow Bridge waiting for us. It tough to lose old friends.

It sometimes seems to take a horse with a close attachment to another the better part of a year to recover from the loss, somewhat less if they understand their friend has passed on, not just gone away.

A buddy would probably help but some horses do seem to get along on their own after an adjustment period.

I would wait until you see how he gets along. You will know and the right partner will show up. If your wife no longer rides an older mini may be a good choice.

Congratulations on the Golden puppy. We are continually absolutely amazing by our Golden, Ryker. His willing temperment, gentleness and intelligence is like no other dog we have owned.

Perhaps your Golden will end up as Seven`s friend / buddy. Ryker and Profit have developed a relationship that just has never happened with any of our other dogs. When we are doing chores, Ryker will regularly lie under the gate to the arena and allow Profit to nuzzle him and lick him. Ryker will lick Profit's nose. Truly amazing.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Thanks again, y'all. Hook - lots of wisdom there. Current plan is to wait until the puppy is acclimated before taking any measures to alleviate Seven's loneliness.

He has definitely replaced Chinook with me - I have spent numerous half-hour stretches just sitting (standing) with him... he just lays his head on me and I breath with him. Much calmer for the last couple of days, probably helped by some hard work on Saturday (2 hours on the flag) and an unusually challenging solo trail ride yesterday. I was impressed by his attentiveness on the trails - felt almost like a mule, with not a single slip or mis-step, even though I asked him to do some really steep scrambling, and navigate several hundred yards of downed trees.

We've also been "drafted" into the NSHA (Nat'l Stock Horse Assn) and are committed to some shows this summer, so that will give him something more to focus on (in addition to cutting and versatility), so I am optimistic about keeping his little brain engaged.

I think he'll be okay for another month, as long as he gets plenty of companionship from me an Mara. I really do hope that Seven and the pup (tentatively named Magic) bond with each other. Our other dog (Angel - - Ginger??? I thought that was an unusual name!) is 14 now, and won't be around for the puppy's entire life, but hopefully hangs in there long enough to train him. (She's a heeler, and knows absolutely everything there is to know about everything - just ask her.) I'll post updates as this unfolds.

Meanwhile, stay safe out there everyone, love, enjoy, and remember that these most precious times are transient.

"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~