Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new to horses and to forums
I'm so excited to be here! All the knowledge here is just what
I need!
I am new to forums so please forgive me if i do something wrong
Ok my story:
Me and my husband was going to wait on getting a horse till
I learned some things (my husband has little knowledge)
But we found Mink and fell in love and wasn't sure if he'd be around when we
Were ready so he's ours now and we have had him a week
The lady said he was "broke broke broke"
Hes in a smaller pen and comes when i approach
Im able to lead and he stays a respectable distance and stops when i do
I am able to pick up his feet and touch him all over
I rode him when we went to look at him and i didn't know what I was doing
But felt comfortable. he is neck reined
And that's about all i know
He is trained but i am not and Im worried i am going to teach him bad manners
So that's where y'all come in. You would think living out in the country it would be easy to find a trainer but i am still looking so i was so happy to find this forum of real people with real knowledge
Welcome Rhona Mink, what a cute name. I'm no expert but there are many here that will help you out, they are full of knowledge and have horses for a long time. Can't wait to see a picture of Mink.
Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

Hi Ronda & Mink & Welcome to DE. Love the name Mink! Do you know how old Mink is and what he was used for? Is he at your place or do you board? Where do you live? Not an address but a town & state on the outside chance that you may be near one of us that could help. You might check at feed stores. There may be saddle clubs in your area that could hook you up with someone.

Like Colleen said...we'd LOVE to see pics of Mink!

I'm looking forward to getting to know both of you better.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
Thanks for the welcomes
He is 8 years old. she said he was used in lessons and trails
We have forty acres in Blue Ridge Texas where we live
Any advise will truly appreciated.
I think there is a rodeo Club here i didn't think of that[Wink]
Welcome Rhonda. Glad to have you with us. Sounds like you've got a good horse to learn from, and believe me Mink will teach you a lot. I know my first horse did. When I think of all the mistakes I made... [B)][:I]. But I learned. Just don't be shy. We'll take anything you care to ask seriously and give you the best advice we can. If not we'll try and point you in the right direction where you can get the info you need. We're here ready and willing to help.

Tack shops are also a great place to find a trainer and connect with local horse people.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Welcome, Ronda! If you could find a trainer who would give you lessons on your horse, that would be an ideal situation.

Good luck to you with your new horse!

EZ2SPOT
Welcome Ronda. It is always exciting to hear about the adventures of someone just starting out with horses. I am sure you will go through many of the same things we did when we started this journey not knowing a thing about horses. First off, do you have a veterinarian? Has he/she checked Mink out to make sure everything is A-OK, including up to date on all his shots, worming, hoof care, and dental care? Health problems such as soreness, hurting feet, or need of dental work can cause problems you don't need to deal with when you are trying to learn yourself.

Can't wait to hear more and see some pics!
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Hi
Ronda
Look at feed stores and talk to your Vet.
Or Farrier.Get all the info you can.
Hello and welcome, Rhonda!

You are correct to think, if you do something wrong with your horse, it may teach him a bad habit.

Every time a human approaches a horse, the horse gets a lesson, good or bad[Smile]

If you Google "horse riding lessons in Blue Ridge, Texas" you will get some hits. I came up with a few BUT beware because not all teachers are created equal -- just like when we were in school[B)]

Mink is a great name. He sounds like you have stumbled upon a terrific first horse; sadly that doesn't happen too often with new horse owners[Sad]

Meaning, what you need is someone to give you and your hubby lessons, with Mink, as it sounds like he's pretty well schooled.

But even the most patient of horses will eventually take advantage if the owner is unaware of their subtle attempts at "one upsmanship" -lol

If you find yourself starting to say "this isn't the same horse I bought three months ago", that means he is starting to take advantage because you aren't recognizing the little errors you might be making in simple things like his daily handling.

Someone who gives lessons and trains, can be of immense help in that department.

Yes do you have a large animal vet? Where you live you might be limited to someone who does cows, horses and other livestock, as opposed to someone who is strictly a horse vet. Not everyone has the privilege of picking and choosing their vet[Sad]

Since you're new to horses, when you do find a vet, that would be the person I would ask for a couple of farrier or barefoot trimmer recommendations, regardless of whether you want to keep shoes on Mink or keep him barefoot.

Vets normally don't like to do that but if you look pitiful enough and being new in the horse world, I bet the vet will cave and give you a couple names[8D][Big Grin]

Shoes or barefoot - what to do? If Mink is already doing well without shoes, leave him that way for now.

You won't be riding him for awhile, it's cheaper, and if his hooves are healthy/strong, barefoot is better; at least until you get going on the riding and decide how often and what terrain you will be riding in.

Yes, teeth are important. Take note of how Mink eats from the feed pan and how he eats his hay. If he turns his head sideways or stretches his head over the front of his feed pan, he's probably got some tooth issues that the vet or equine dentist needs to take care of.

Even if he's not doing the above but he is quidding hay (chewing up his hay but spitting it back out in a ball), he's got back molar issues that also need help from the vet.

Vaccinations: I'm sure the Seller told you when and what Mink's last vaccinations were? If not, it would be helpful if you could get that information, so as to give it to your vet. Your vet will help you decide what vaccinations Mink needs, based on where you live, what Mink's job will be, and if he will be traveling in a horse trailer somewhere[Smile]

Lastly, like everyone else, I hope we see a picture of Mink soon[Tongue]
Thanks everyone. everything y'all have said is great advising
Walkinthewalk you sumed everything perfectly
Ill keep yall posted