Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help...what tree size do I need?
Thank you for your help. I did try two pads, but it just made it roll and slide forward even more. So I think I'm going to try a pad I saw that is 1" thick felt and has shims all the way along the back so you can adjust the fit. I actually decided to sell the saddle in the pictures(a friend wanted to buy it and it fits her horses well, plus I need a slightly smaller seat) I'm going to look for full bars because when putting the templates on my gelding he needs the wide. But I was wondering if there is a possibility of a saddle having the same angles as the saddle I have now, but not measuring 7" in the gullet like my saddle does? I just want to be sure I'm looking for all possibilities when searching. I wish I could just buy new(I'd love to get a Dakota from the saddle shop) but it's not in the budget right now, so will be looking for used, and mainly online. Is there a way to measure the angle of the saddles bars, or can that only be done with the templates?

And as far as a crupper goes...Are they painful to a horse at all? For instance, would running barrels with one put too much pressure/pull on it and cause pain to her?
Now I'm getting even more confused...
I was looking back at pictures of that same saddle on my gelding. With the templates, a wide fits him perfect. But in the pictures(just taken in Sept) the saddle appears to pop up in the back on him as well. The saddle is Full quarter bars(measures a tad over 7" from concho to concho), so I'm confused as to why it doesn't appear to fit better. Then I also found these pics taken right after I'd ridden him, and remember thinking it was weird that he was not sweaty on the one side of his wither, but in my ignorance figured I just hadn't ridden him enough for that side to get sweaty[baghead] After reading through some old posts here, I realized that it was probably because it wasn't fitting correctly. Of course at this point it doesn't matter about that saddle since I've sold it, but I want to be sure what I get won't give me the same issues. Do you have any thoughts as to why he wouldn't be sweaty on that one side?
Here are some pics of him.

[Image: September2012232_zps010b0e29.jpg]
[Image: September2012234_zps29f4688b.jpg]

These are the sweat mark pictures...
[Image: September2012247_zps3adbf283.jpg]
[Image: September2012246_zpsa68d3ac3.jpg]

And an above shot of his back...
[Image: PICT0280_zpsec0eb4cf.jpg]
quote:
Originally posted by Zeva

Now I'm getting even more confused...
I was looking back at pictures of that same saddle on my gelding. With the templates, a wide fits him perfect. But in the pictures(just taken in Sept) the saddle appears to pop up in the back on him as well. The saddle is Full quarter bars(measures a tad over 7" from concho to concho), so I'm confused as to why it doesn't appear to fit better. Then I also found these pics taken right after I'd ridden him, and remember thinking it was weird that he was not sweaty on the one side of his wither, but in my ignorance figured I just hadn't ridden him enough for that side to get sweaty[baghead] After reading through some old posts here, I realized that it was probably because it wasn't fitting correctly. Of course at this point it doesn't matter about that saddle since I've sold it, but I want to be sure what I get won't give me the same issues. Do you have any thoughts as to why he wouldn't be sweaty on that one side?
Here are some pics of him.

[Image: September2012232_zps010b0e29.jpg]
[Image: September2012234_zps29f4688b.jpg]

These are the sweat mark pictures...
[Image: September2012247_zps3adbf283.jpg]
[Image: September2012246_zpsa68d3ac3.jpg]

And an above shot of his back...
[Image: PICT0280_zpsec0eb4cf.jpg]

To me the saddle looks placed too far ahead on him in the first picture.

In the third photo the sweat marks seem to indicate that the saddle has been shifed to the left on his back which may account for the diferent side to side pattern.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
I really need to work on where to place the saddle. I guess old habits die hard. I put it where it should be, then end up shifting it forward because it looks too far back to me. The saddle does tend to roll on him, so as long as I keep the saddle centered, I shouldn't get the uneven sweat marks?

I was able to borrow a few tree forms from a local tack shop. The tree forms are from Steele's equifit line. From what I understand, these trees are also used in the Dakota saddles, correct? The owner of the tack shop only gave me the first two forms(described on the steele website as semi quarter bars and standard quarter bars) I showed her pictures of my horses and told her I'd like to try semi and full quarter bars, yet on Steele's website they have one step up from those two that's actually called full quarter bars. So I was wondering if anyone knows which tree is used in the dakota as the full quarter bars, because I've only seen Dakota's advertised as semi and full quarter. It was raining so I didn't get too much time to really try them, but just quickly threw them up on both my mare and gelding and I'm pretty sure the Standard quarter bars seems to fit them both better than the semi. I'm just wondering which tree my husband's roping saddle was built on, as it was sold to me as full bars. Does Dakota put serial numbers on their saddles anywhere so that I'd be able to call and get more info on the saddle? I may also call the tack shop tomorrow and see about getting the full bars form also...that way I can see for sure where it will fit on them(I'm pretty positive it will be too big for the both of them), and compare it to my husbands roper to see if I can figure out which tree it's on.

Again, thank you so much for your help.