• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laminitis
What can i do for my horse
she is gettig laminitis.
I only have her on grass for 5 hr's
then take her off.Should i get some
Maintenance Formula that you put
in there grain. How about aGrazing Muzzle.[confused2
The first thing you do is call a vet and arrange to get her proper care immediately.

The vet will tell you how to manage the laminitus.

Do it now. Laminitus is a very serious and life threatening condition.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
I think we've been through this before with you. It doesn't matter how long a horse is turned out on grass.

Get her off the grass.
Get an experienced knowledgable farrier out to treat her ASAP.
Get her on Bute for pain, an ulcer preventative for ulcers caused from pain.
Feed her hay and only a couple of flakes/day. NO GRAIN.

She is in excruciating pain and each time she founders, she causes more damage to her hoof capsule. Get her off the grass and keep her off.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

I think we've been through this before with you.

Sure have.

http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic....IC_ID=8414

Fall grass is every bit as dangerous as Spring grass. We have frost at night, then fast warm-ups the next day; that causes a tremendous surge of sugars thru the grass which, in turn, causes founder.

You're going to have to get this horse off grass, no matter how inconvenient the arrangements might be.

At the very least put her in a round pen that's been stripped of grass, put hay in several piles around the round pen to keep her moving a little bit. A small amount of movement is good; too much movement isn't.
I'm new here so I need to know what Laminits is. Can someone help me??
Laurie
Laminitis is also called founder and affects the hoof. It's a very painful condition which can cause permanent damage making the horse unusable and many times the only humane thing to do is to put the poor thing down.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminitis"]Click for more info[/url]

Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~