Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face shields
Okay so maybe the ACV won't work to repel green flies, horse flies, etc. What about something that doesn't have chemicals in it, say a natural product?
quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

I can't remember where I heard about some horses being allergic to it. I think it was on one of the horse forums I used to frequent and don't anymore. I have talked to other horse owners that told me about one of their horses breaking out in a terrible rash. I'm not sure but I think it was similar to hives. That's why I recommend trying anything with DEET in it on one small spot on the horse to see if there might be any kind of reaction before using it on the entire horse.

Oh my. I never considered using it on the whole horse!
"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
On the home-made fly spray, here's the basics:

Water
Lemon Eucalyptus oil ***
Lavender skin cream
Rosemary oil
Peppermint Spirits

Mix in whatever proportion seems sensible - I'll try to get the actual recipe with quantities, but this is all I know as I sit here typing.

*** Lemon Eucalyptus is its own plant - not a lemon and not a eucalyptus. It does repel insects very effectively. It's the main ingredient in Mosi-Guard and some other "natural repellent" products.

http://www.mosi-guard.com/
"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Thanks Arenadirt for the recipe for fly control. If the lemon eucalyptus oil is the main ingredient in the Mosi-guard it makes sense that you would need the most of it.
Sounds like a great way to get rid of flies, Arenadirt. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
I take it Arenadirt that you spray this directly on the horse for fly control?
Thanks Arenadirt. Have you found the recipe yet? Sounds like a good natural way to repell horse flies, green flies, mozzies, and other biting insects.
Arenadirt, I'm surprised that your recipe would work to get rid of flies, doesn't that all smell good? I thought it would attract flies to you??
I think because of the that certain smell it repels the flies and other insects. Maybe because it smells too good.