Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face shields
Endure is great for flies too. So is Off and Cutter. I'm still trying to figure out why Off and Cutter didn't work that one time camping out. They usually work great on repelling any biting insects. And that's the only time it didn't do the job.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
I have been told that the store brand fly spray from Dollar General works great but I have not tried it myself.
Truth should be everpresent.
quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

Endure is great for flies too. So is Off and Cutter. I'm still trying to figure out why Off and Cutter didn't work that one time camping out. They usually work great on repelling any biting insects. And that's the only time it didn't do the job.

I use these too...and just a spritz on a soft brush and then lightly brush around the face area works well with sprays. [Smile]

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
I forget why, but DEET products (OFF, Cutter) are NOT recommended for equine use. Supposedly, if used on lactating mares it can sour their milk, and there are possible chemical complications if used in conjunction with other fly sprays... but - when it gets really bad I have used it on the ears, and no ill effects observed. It does work!

Permethrin is good stuff, and is the active ingredient in most commercial fly sprays (incl Endure, Pyranah etc.). At the height of fly season we have to use a lot of it and it's expensive. Mara has made up some concoction that works very well right now - have get the recipe from her. Will post it once I get it. Warning: smells just as nasty as any store-bought stuff.
"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
quote:
Originally posted by Arenadirt

I forget why, but DEET products (OFF, Cutter) are NOT recommended for equine use. Supposedly, if used on lactating mares it can sour their milk, and there are possible chemical complications if used in conjunction with other fly sprays... but - when it gets really bad I have used it on the ears, and no ill effects observed. It does work!

Permethrin is good stuff, and is the active ingredient in most commercial fly sprays (incl Endure, Pyranah etc.). At the height of fly season we have to use a lot of it and it's expensive. Mara has made up some concoction that works very well right now - have get the recipe from her. Will post it once I get it. Warning: smells just as nasty as any store-bought stuff.

Thank you for posting about lactating mares, AD. I had no idea Off and Cutter would do that, but it makes sense. I don't think much about situations like that since I'm not into breeding.

I've used Off and Cutter for years on my horses with no ill effects. But I don't drench them in it. I use it as lightly as I possibly can and spray it while making quick sweeps across the horse. You can hardly tell I've sprayed them with anything when I'm done. Also I only use it when trail riding and not for every day home use. It will usually keep bugs away from my horse for up to two hours. I've yet to see any fly spray made for horses do that. So let's see; the way I use it, my horse might get sprayed with it maybe two or three times a month. If that.

I'm not doubting your word, my friend, but I'm just going from my own experience. And like I said; some horses can be highly allergic to DEET, which is the main ingredient in Off and Cutter. This might be the reason it's not recommended for use on horses.
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Thank YOU Ginger -
I didn't know why DEET was so frowned upon. Allergies? How did you learn that?

I'll feel a little better now about using it on Sev's ears when the usual remedies aren't working. I know from the few times I've used it that it works really really well, but was always afraid to use it except in extreme situations.

Still waiting for M to give me the recipe for the home made stuff we have been using. Will post.
"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Note of interest about DEET - unlike permethrin, it doesn't poison or kill flies. What it does is mess up their CO2 receptors so they can't hone in on the source (horses, people). Basically, it temporarily blinds them. When we sold Atwater Carey to Wisconsin Pharmacal Company and became part of WPC, I had to learn some things about it because WPC owned the Repel brand (now owned by Cutter). Some of the studies were pretty shocking - in a good way. In one study they made rats drink pure DEET, and in huge quantities that would have converted to a human drinking 2-4 ounces of it every day. After a few months, the rats lost their appetites, and that was the only reported effect. Guess they weren't allergic!
I can't remember where I heard about some horses being allergic to it. I think it was on one of the horse forums I used to frequent and don't anymore. I have talked to other horse owners that told me about one of their horses breaking out in a terrible rash. I'm not sure but I think it was similar to hives. That's why I recommend trying anything with DEET in it on one small spot on the horse to see if there might be any kind of reaction before using it on the entire horse.
--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
I was reading in another forum that one used apple cider vinegar in the water and to him that seemed to work for fly control. Has anyone tried this?
quote:
Originally posted by maryk

I was reading in another forum that one used apple cider vinegar in the water and to him that seemed to work for fly control. Has anyone tried this?

I have also read alleged success stories. All it did at my farm was cause all the water to get dumped and tubs scrubbed[B)]

Even the Wino that loves ACV/water from a spray bottle, wouldn't drink the water. And no the spray didn't work either, so his "drinking days" quickly came to an end. That horse would smack his lips so hard for the spray bottle that it's a wonder the next farm over didn't hear him[Big Grin]