Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face shields
I was wondering if the face shields that are put on the horse effective and do they last for more than a few seasons.
If you're talking about fly masks, then they can. A lot depends on what type of fencing and if you have donkeys. LOL!

I use the crusaders and so far they've held up really well even if the donks get them which can and does happen if Joe loses one in the field.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
I like the Cashel Crusader masks the best, also! Mine have lasted through 2 summers so far.

EZ2SPOT
A lot depends on each horse and how many hours and months the horse has to wear it.

My horses can be in face masks from March thru November. If ticks get under their chins or up in the poll area, the life span of the mask is drastically shortened.

I also wash them in the washer every night, on slow for four minutes; if I get thru an entire season with the same mask for each horse, it's a miracle.

I do a lot of Ebay shopping for fly masks - lol

My fly mask preference is the Farnum Super Mask. They're in the middle price range and have held up to 22 acres of fence posts, woods, leg rubbing and the washer better than anything else I've tried.

There are some cheaper ones that have held up but their velcro latches are really tough for my arthritic hands to pull loose at night. Sometimes I have to stand on the opposite side of the horse and pull the fastener down/toward me. Another reason I like Farnum's masks.
That sounds like a wonderful way to control the flies from the face of the horse but what about the rest of the horse?
quote:
Originally posted by maryk

That sounds like a wonderful way to control the flies from the face of the horse but what about the rest of the horse?

Assuming you're new to the horse world and this is a legitimate question[Smile]

Nothing's 100% but in my case fly spray works nicely; just have to change sprays 2 - 3 times thru the season as the flies grow immune to the stuff. The stinkier the better as long as the chemicals don't burn the horse.

In my own experiences, the better fly spray smells to my nose, the less it work to keep flies off horses.

I won't use fly sheets because mine wander on 22 acres of hills and trees. They are more prone to itch against something in the heat than in the winter, on those blustery cold days they go out in blankets.

There are companies that sell belly guards and leg guards, along with fly sheets.
Crusaders, thanks everyone! Mary I have heard that some people use apple cider vinegar on there horse for flies.
What about skin so soft. I have heard of people using that for fly control, does that work?
quote:
Originally posted by maryk

What about skin so soft. I have heard of people using that for fly control, does that work?

The only time I used Skin-So-Soft, my farrier said to quit using perfume to keep flies off my horse and get something that works [Big Grin].

For trail rides and camping; I've used deep woods Off or back woods Cutter. Please be aware that some horses are allergic to deet that's the main ingredient in these products, but it has worked on my horses... except once when the horse flies and deer flies were merciless when camping. Endure helped some but still didn't work for long, the flies were so bad, but that was a very rare occurance. Endure is great for mosquitos but is on the expensive side to buy. I try to keep some on hand for trail riding and camping trips.

A word about using Off or Cutter: Spray it very lightly on the horse. A small amount goes a long way[Wink].
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Okay I will stay away from the skin so soft. What kind of repellents do they make that are natural for say the horsefly,deer fly, green fly? And do they work?