Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Safety Tips
Always use quick release knots and never wrap your longe lines or lead ropes around your wrists or body.
Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

These are great...and bet lots of us have learned these tips the hard way.....[B)]

Line lunging: never let excess rope hang or drag by your feet.
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

These are great...and bet lots of us have learned these tips the hard way.....[B)]

Line lunging: never let excess rope hang or drag by your feet.

Film at 11? This should be good...
"There is something about the outside of a horse...that is good for the inside of a man." ~Winston Churchill~
Believe me...the wrap around the leg rope and horse taking off....just like a cartoon! Wish I had footage!![Big Grin]
And if your hay is stored at ground level, keep that section of the barn blocked off with something so your horse doesn't climb the hay bales and have to be rescued...

EZ2SPOT
Tell me it ain't so, Vicki!
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

IS so!! Twice, actually...you know Warsong, she has to climb everything! Just about gave me a heart attack. Both times, I was able to get her down, but it sure could have ended in disaster if she'd gotten a hoof down in between the bales. I now keep a rope stretched across that end of the barn when I bring the horses in or let them out.

EZ2SPOT
And one of the simplest tips any beginner (or even experienced horse person) should do: Where proper attire when riding and working around horses... including:

riding boots (western or english) or at least good solid shoes with a well defined heal... NO SNEAKERS OR TENNIS SHOES OR FLIP FLOPS!

A good pair of jeans (the non-designer type) or riding breeches

And last but not least, a riding helmet (I know most of us don't, including me, but a helmet should be worn when working around horses as well as when riding them.)

I also made my riding students where a shirt with sleeves, but I do ride in tank tops a lot in the summer heat.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown