Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trailer Shopping Update... 5/7/10
This is once again aimed at DE'er's in and around IN.

I've taken a good look at my 1995 WW horse trailer and have decided I need to do one of three things:

1) Replace the tongue & groove wood inside the exterior wall where Terra rides in the trailer. The wood is rotting, and the padding nearest the rear of the trailer along that side has come loose.

2) Renovate my trailer with some sand blasting, a new paint job and some minor interior work (like that pesky sidewall). It's starting to rust with some pinholes in some places, but the floor and the underside is still in good shape. Just the body is starting to go.

3)Buy another trailer either new or used, but I'm not rich by any means. I've already discovered there isn't much out there in the 4 to 6 thousand range, and I can't afford much more than that.

NOW! There's a place not far from me that wants to build me a new horse trailer for around 5 grand, but I'm afraid it will be more like a converted stock trailer, though they have promised I'll have a drop ramp like I have now. The thing is, they don't specialize in making horse trailers, and I'm afraid there won't be anything between the horse and the trailer shell. It will have a dressing room also like my old trailer. I know this sounds good, but something keeps alarm bells ringing in my head. I'm so afraid if they build me a new trailer, it won't be what I expect. Does that sound crazy to you[confused2?

They also do renovations but said it could cost up to $3000 to do so from what I've told them about my trailer. They haven't seen it yet.

I've looked online, but there's not much to choose from and not many in IN let alone NE IN.

We went to Kerlin's near Silver Lake this afternoon, and was shown a new trailer that would probably be like the one the place near Markle would build for me. The one at Kerlin's is a 2-horse bumper-pull. There's wood covering the inside of the door where you load the horses but nothing on the sides. It's a slant-load steel trailer, but that doesn't bother me. All my trailers have been steel. The dressing room isn't quite big enough for my twin sized air mattress. Just a bit smaller than my present trailer.

So, my fellow Indianans; Any tips on trailers for sale that might suit my needs? And, of course, any advice from the rest of you would be greatly appreciated on what I should do.

I guess I should add that if I don't find anything before then, I can always drool all over the trailers at the HHF in early April. LOL! Who knows? Maybe I'll find a bargain there.

Unless a terrific bargain comes along, I think you would definitely be ahead by waiting until the HHF. Even if you didn't buy one there, you would at least be able to see a good many trailers in one location, and get a feel for what might work for you, and price ranges.

I wanted an aluminum over steel trailer, and they are more pricey than all steel. But, while looking, I DID see a steel trailer that I seriously considered buying. I belive it was a CM trailer. It was very reasonable, too. The dealership where I saw it, usually comes to the HHF every year.

EZ2SPOT

Have you tried advertising in Craigslist for Indiana and surrounding States for "Wanting to Buy" and just putting in what you're looking for? There might be something out there in someone's yard that they haven't gotten around to selling, or is waiting for the time to sell.
Just a thought...folks do that all the time up here.

I'm thinking that your instincts about the "alarms" are spot on. They're quoting you $ amounts with not having seen your trailer? Hmmmm...seems expensive too.

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
If your trailer has good floors and undercarriage and you like the basic design and layout the cheapest option would be to give it a face lift.

I suggest that you take the trailer to a few different auto body repair shops and get some estimates. If they don't do that sort of work perhaps they can recommend some one who can or one of the guys at the shop may take it on as a personal project. If you do it right away and give them some extra time they can do it as a fill-in job and you may be able to get a better deal.

Of course, new trailers are tempting, but trust your instincts about buying only a brand name one.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Ginger, I bought my trailer at the HHF in 02. I purposely waited for the HHF as I knew there would so many dealers there and I could shop in one spot. I spent an entire Saturday checking out all the dealers and walking through trailers. Like you, I had a basic list of 'must haves' and a very limited budget. I ended up with my 3-horse slant, stock type with dressing room. I custom ordered it from the manufacturer through the dealer. It is a base model with only one upgarde, the window in the dressing room. I am VERY happy with the trailer, it pulls great and has transported my horses safely to many, many rides.
I ordered my trailer at the HHF, too, with some modifications, and I've been quite happy with it. Plus, it was just fun to look! Probably a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me, but it really was a thrill at the time!

EZ2SPOT
I'd say trust your instincts especially with limited budget. If they don't have any examples or satisfied customers, you could end up very dissatisfied and no money to fix it. Wait for the HHF. They might get some trade-ins there and be interested in a quick turnaround sale.
I agree with your reservations about having one built by someone who doesn't specialize in horse trailers. I would not want to be a "learning experience" for them. Personally, unless you are wanting a trailer with living quarters, I think your biggest bang for your buck is in stock type trailers. Corn Pro makes a great trailer at a reasonable price, and stock trailers can be very versatile, and can be used for many things besides just carrying your horse, for example, hauling your hay, moving your friends and relatives far far away, etc. Of course, if that is not what you have your heart set on, it doesn't make any difference. As far as new trailers, I think you can get a good buy with some of the specials they run at the horse fair.
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Ginger, my friend Maria is selling her red LQ two horse trailer for $4,000. It is nice. It has a shower, AC, cook stove, commode, sink, etc. I can send you pics if you're interested.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Here are some pics:

[Image: Picture204.jpg]

[Image: Picture266.jpg]

[Image: Picture267.jpg]

[Image: Picture203.jpg]

[Image: Picture204.jpg]

[Image: Picture209.jpg]

[Image: Picture242.jpg]

[Image: Picture201.jpg]

[Image: Picture249.jpg]

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader