Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saddle for heavy rider?
We'll definitely have to see if we can work something out. I like the idea of pens. Can you still tie your horses out? Murray will NOT stay in a stall. If he can't get out, he'll kill himself trying!

Wranglers' will accept reservations up to 6 months in advance. When we stayed in October since it was fall break, we had to make ours a couple months in advance. We still ended up with a site without water, Sad

Murray would probably like the turn-out pens best. You can use those as long as you have more than one horse in them. Double J has 4 different pens. They have 13 or 14 stalls and countless metal gate open pens (probably around 20).

You can tie your horses out on high lines in primitive, but not when you're in the electric camping area. You can't tie your horses to your trailer or leave them overnight on the hitching rails.

It's good to know Wranglers will now take reservations. I'd like to ride there some day.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

I don't have any real answers, just some comments...

If you decide to go with a synthetic saddle, there are a number of different brands. This summer, I borrowed an Abetta endurance saddle from a friend, and was surprised to find I really liked it. I don't know what the western model is like to ride in, but I've noticed the trees seem to be ideal for short-backed horses, and also come in both regular and wide trees. So this is what I'd probably buy, if looking for a western synthetic.

At one time, I had a Bighorn synthetic, but didn't like it. It just didn't fit me or my horses. Everyone (and every horse!) is different, though!

Welcome to the DE, and let us know what saddle you decide to get!

EZ2SPOT

Hi sunedee! I don't have any saddle advice to offer, but wanted to say welcome and love the pics of your horses! Hope you find what you need! Smile
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Hi sunedee

those are some nice looking horses you have. Welcome!

I have a 14" Abetta round skirt for the POA bought used 5-6 years ago for the kids, and ended up riding in it...it is still going strong even though it really is wayyy to small for me. Resale is pretty good and can't beat not having to lift something heavy....esp. if tall horses......how tall are yours??

Hi Sundee, welcome to the Forum. You have a nice herd of horses there and I like how super friendly thy all look in the photos.
(Not sure I could get used to a tail without hair though Smile)

I am sure Chuck can fix you up with a saddle that fits both you and your horse.

Just a caution, I am not sure that you will find one saddle that will fit both your large horses and the smaller one. I suggest you review the saddle shop's templates on your horses to make sure.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Thank you all for your compliments on my horses. They're the light of my eyes and I'm totally barn blind so I enjoy the compliments, lol!!

So it seems most of you have had good experiences with the synthetic saddles. It's something to consider.

Thanks, Hook! I am definitely planning another chat with Chuck. How do you feel about using a thicker pad to make up for a slightly too wide saddle? I think the wide/fqhb tree will work fine on the two larger horses. Moon has a funny shaped back. A friend has had good luck working with the Skito pad people on designing a pad to fit the specific horse. I was planning on doing the same with Moon. I use a 1" 5-star pad with everybody else. Moon and Murray are the only ones undersaddle currently. Obviously I'd like a saddle that would fit everybody but I know that's not always going to happen. So again, how do you feel about finding a different pad for each situation?