Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saddle for heavy rider?
Ok, so here's the deal. I'm a big gal. My horses have short backs. I'm looking for a new saddle.

I sold the saddle in this pic because it was too long for my smaller horses. It's a 17" Circle Y.
[Image: meanddusty.jpg]

I sold the saddle in these pics because I felt the seat was too small for me. It was a 17.5" Tucker.
[Image: 017.jpg]
[Image: 009v.jpg]

So I need a new saddle. Like everybody else, I'm strapped for cash right now. I'm tempted to get the 19" synthetic that HSS sells. How do synthetics work with larger riders? Good or bad? I *think* based on the skirt length that it would work. On the other hand, I *know* the Tucker fit my horses. Should I suck it up and spend more money and go with the 18.5" seat?
Hey sunedee! Welcome to [de]! I really don't have anything intelligent to offer on the saddle question, but just wanted to say welcome. You have a couple of nice looking horses there. Stick around and tell us more about them and you. We are in southwest/central Indiana and we have 6 horses which we thoroughly enjoy! Where are you located? What type of riding do you do?
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Hey hmeyer!

I guess I should have done an intro thread before I just jumped in, huh?

I'm located in western Kentucky. I've got 4 curlies and one belgian that's going to his new home next week. I'm severely allergic to horses which is why I have curlies.

I trail ride mostly. We hit a couple local shows last year but I don't think we'll do that again this year. No room on the trailer with all the kids going.

So here's my crew!

Moon, 6 year old curly/draft/tb cross. He's an extreme curly which means that he has little to no mane or tail hair. The "clean" look has grown on me, lol.

[Image: 095small.jpg]

[Image: 105small.jpg]

Murray, 5 year old curly/spotted draft cross. He's not an extreme but he doesn't grow alot of hair.

[Image: Image17fixedsmall.jpg]

[Image: Image11fixedsmall.jpg]

Emmy, 4 year old curly/belgian/qh cross. She is my heart horse and honestly the love of my life.

[Image: 210small.jpg]

[Image: 215small.jpg]

And last but not least, Sailor - curly/perch cross. He's 3.

[Image: Image24fixedsmall.jpg]

[Image: mesailorsilly.jpg]
Welcome to DE, Sunedee!

I love the pics of your horses, especially the head shots! They all have that easy going calm look to them.

I can't comment to your saddle dilemma but you can always call the Horse Saddle Shop and talk to a saddle expert. They'll know about the construction of the saddles and be able to tell you what would be best for you.

There are several of us on the board from Indiana so we're sort of neighbors! I'm in southern Indiana.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
Aw, just HOW CUTE is that last picture??? [Big Grin]

Good luck with your saddle hunt. I'm sure with those draft crosses you're also limited by tree width, needing something up in the wider trees -- it may be just me, but it has seemed to me like a lot of the synthetics I've come across have narrow trees. Or maybe most of the folks I know who have synthetic saddles also have Arabians. [Smile] Just something to check on, I guess.

'plash
Thanks, 'plash!! I love me some Sailor, lol. He's a good boy. That was his second show and he was only 2!

HSS has a 19" synthetic with FQHB.

I don't know. It's just the $600 is easier to swallow than $1900, you know? I think I'm probably going to just suck it up and get the Tucker though.

Thanks!
Sunedee, welcome to DE. When I was a Big Gal, before I recently lost a bunch of weight. I rode in a 17" Big Horn synthetic saddle. I believe it fit both my horse and me well. I like the synthetics because they are so easy to clean when trailriding, and you dont' have to worry if they get wet if you're caught out in a rainstorm. Following is a pic of the saddle I had.

[Image: AppygirlandHi-Grey-DERideMTR.jpg]

I don't think I have any pics of me "in the saddle", but I'll look around and see if I can find one.

I love your curlie/crosses. Also, I'm in Kentucky, too (Lexington). Would love to have an opportunity to ride with you sometime. Do you ever ride at Double J/Mammoth Cave?
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Eureka, I found a pic of me in the saddle!

[Image: appygirlinthesaddle.jpg]

This Big Horn was a very comfortable saddle. I loved it.

Chuck at the Horse Saddle Shop would be happy to help you find the perfect saddle.
Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Hi Appygirl! It's good to know that you were happy with a synthetic. I've already talked to Chuck once. I think before I make up my mind for good, I'll call and talk to him again. I'll need to layaway if I want the Tucker anyway.

I'm about an hour and a half from Mammoth Cave. I've never been but my trailriding buddies were talking about going this year. We heard the camping facilities were really nice. I'm planning on taking a week off the second week of May so .... Maybe we'll be able to meet up?

Have you ever been down to our end of the state to go to Wrangler's Camp in the Land Between the Lakes? We ride there alot and also in the Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois.

Too cool to meet another Kentucky trailrider!
You guys will love riding at Mammoth Cave. Doublel J Campground is one of my favorite places to camp. Jack and Jan, the owners of Double J, are super nice and the facilities are great! Nice electric sites, or primitive camping if you desire. Stalls, pens, and turn out paddocks available for your horses. Also, NICE shower facilities, wash areas for horses, firewood for purchase....ice,soda and snacks, too too; and free wood shaving bedding for stalls and pens. Trails are very good, with most being intermediate to challenging. The perimeter trail is beginner/novice friendly. Lots of nice scenery.

I have never ridden at Wrangler's. I hear the trails are nice there, but it's a little tricky getting a good camping area since they don't do reservations.

Let me know if you and friends reserve in May, and I'll see if I can join you.
Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,