Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riding a reiner?
I was afraid someone was going to say that!!! Someone did say he rides with spurs, they were telling me how someone else rode him with spurs and he was spinning, sliding, and generally doing it all as reiners do. That was along time ago and I think that person has left the barn so they are not available to ask.
I do have a pair of ball spurs (no rowels) however, I have only used spurs a few times in my life. I admit my leg is not as quiet as it should be...so before I go for a wild ride, can someone more experienced please give me some helpful hints in the proper use of spurs?
I think the main thing to remember is that they are just another way of asking, after you have asked with your leg. They are not for punishment and should only be used last. You need to practice making sure you don't spur him when you don't intend to. Then, when you do, you don't jab him with them, you just place them against his side and roll the rowel (or ball) along his side. I think where a lot of people get into trouble, and this has happened to me, is that when things get a little dicey, they tend to clamp down with their leg and their heel goes up causing the spur to make contact. Then that just escalates the problem. You have to conciously keep your heels down and off the horse until you get used to the spurs.
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Strap on some big ol spurs with rowels and say "Hold my beer and watch this!" then climb on!

Make sure someone has a video cam handy. [Wink]
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
My last words will probably be "Watch this." But I would never say "Hold my beer and watch this." If you cain't hold yer beer and do it, you don't need to be doin' it.
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

quote:
Originally posted by hmeyer

My last words will probably be "Watch this." But I would never say "Hold my beer and watch this." If you cain't hold yer beer and do it, you don't need to be doin' it.

[Big Grin][Big Grin] You guys are toooooooo funny!!!

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
"If you cain't hold yer beer and do it, you don't need to be doin' it."

This needs to be on a t-shirt!!
Good one, Harv. LOL!!

I LOVE the t-shirt idea!

Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
Yep I totally concure with the addition of spurs. Most horses are smart enough to know when you've got them on and when you don't. And when you don't you can kick all day on some of those numb ones and they respond with "la, la, la I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!" And of course you still want to ask with your calf first, then tell with you calf, then say HELLO with your spur "I said NOW", sort of deal. Doesn't take them long to figure out that they'd better do it when you ask the first time.

You do have to be conscious to NOT gig him inadvertantly when you're just riding around... keeping your toes pointed forwards and holding on with your thighs and knees rather your calves and leaving your calves loose goes a long way in helping that. Make sure you're sitting on your pockets. Think sit in a chair... riding WP tends to be too up and down for reining.

As far as putting your leg back to cue him... I don't know how far back you're referring.. But you leg should be back slightly behind neutral for a lead departure in order to engage the hips, as the lope needs to come from behind. If he's strung out dog trotting when you ask for the lope, you've not isolated/blocked the inside shoulder and you've not pushed his hip up under himself and slightly to the inside. You have to ride the back end up to the front, but that only works if the neck is functional i.e. not stiff.

Here's a video that shows a lead departure. Not that he not only picks up on his horse to get him soft in the face, but he bumps with his legs to get the horse round in the back, then in the departure the horse's hip comes to the inside in stepping to the lope. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR8TmNvZSjA&feature=related after his first circles and spins, you can see the sequence of his leg position and hand position in asking for the lead departure for the right lead.

If your horse isn't tuned into to you being able to ask for him to get round and supple at the walk he's not going to give it to you at a higher rate of speed. You should be able to pick up on his face and/or bump with your legs at any time and him be tuned in to what you're asking. Also it's very important to never let him just amble around even when you're walking around on him casually. You need to dictate your line and where you're going... helps him stay tuned in. Otherwise they wind up, off in La La Land.

Hope this helps.