Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Purchase
I'm looking at an Overo Paint today with some Quarterhorse in him. for trail riding. I've decided after a few falls from my Mustang, I need a dead broke horse who will let me make mistakes and reclaim my old riding skills before really working with Brownie Mustang. This guy is 12 & very broke. I'd be so grateful for any opinions on his confirmation. Thanks! Linda

[Image: gallery1]
He looks nice to me, of course I'm not a good judge. Looks a little sway backed, but not bad for a 12 year old. I don't think it's too much to worry about. For the kind of use you want him for, I think what's between his ears is much more important than his conformation or looks.
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

quote:
Originally posted by hmeyer

He looks nice to me, of course I'm not a good judge. Looks a little sway backed, but not bad for a 12 year old. I don't think it's too much to worry about. For the kind of use you want him for, I think what's between his ears is much more important than his conformation or looks.

Thanks for the quick reply. I printed a photo of him and he looks sway backed in the photo, but doesn't on the ad. I'm not sure if that's him or the monitor. Will have to see how he looks in person. This is the only photo I have of him now. I really appreciate your input! Thanks.
Linda
I think the reason he looks sway-back is because his one back foot is so far out behind him. His off-side hip will be dropped because of it and could very easily give you an impression that he's sway-back. See if you can view some pics of him standing more square, and I bet he won't look near that sway-back.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
I agree with Harv on what's between his ears! I don't see any glaring conformation problems that would cause problems if you intend to use him for trail riding. Remember to have the owner ride him first! If that goes well and if you're still interested in him, at some point you need to have a vet check and make sure to test for navicular.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
I agree with PG and Harv. And if he is real nice & quiet...grab him! (After the vet check that is) Sometimes you just need something to relax on. I think he looks pretty good, even nicer if he has a nice sweet disposition and no navicular or other health problems.
He's gorgeous....blue eyes to boot!

Saw a horse this weekend who was amazing Western performance, does mounted patrol, etc.....is sway backed, age 5 but is one fit horse.

I'm not sure how it affects them later in life??
Thanks to everyone for your input. I really lucked out on getting a lot of replies! I saw the horse today. He isn't sway backed in person, so it probably was his stance. He is a very sweet horse, but I didn't take him. He had some issues from probably being roughly handled in the past which would be a spook hazard on the trail. Tossing the leadrope over his withers freaked him out but he calmed quickly when rubbing the rope on him. Tossing the blanket on the "wrong side" really scared him. He will make someone who wants to work with him a bit a really nice horse, but I need a bombproof one that will tolerate my mistakes while I get skills back.

It is a tremendous help to get your input on confirmation and I really appreciate everyone's help! THANKS!

Linda
Linda
Linda,

Not that I'm encouraging you to get this particular horse but most of the time, there is not an immediate "Click" when you find the right horse. It takes time for a horse to get to know you and your habits just like it takes time for you to know the horse's habits. As an example, I helped Dave get up his lesson horses one day which involved walking about 100 miles to the back of his place and leading the horses back to the barn. I can't remember now who put the halter on this particular horse but I was leading him when suddenly he realized that I wasn't Dave and he pulled back. We did a tug of war battle for a bit till he settled down and I talked to him and rubbed on him a little. This was a dead broke horse used for beginner lessons but he didn't know me and thought I was going to lead him to his death. LOL!

Also, there is no bombproof horse. Any horse can spook for any reason but some spook easier than others. Take your time but keep an open mind when you're on the hunt for the right horse.

Good luck!!
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
I like this horse, he looks like a nice guy. You may want to keep an open mind and go back and see him again. Take some tools and do a little ground work again and see how he responds. He may be more accepting of you the 2nd time he sees you.

The first time I saw Joe, he was indifferent to me and standoffish. There was too much snow on the ground for me to ride him so I didn't. I wasn't really interested in him until a few weeks had passed (I did NOT want an Appaloosa) and I had looked at other horses but I kept thinking of Joe and I am glad I called them back and he wasn't sold yet.

He did everything I asked him to do when I rode him and the 2nd time he started looking at me, like I was actually there. In fact now that I think about it, he would not even nicker when he saw me for a long time after I bought him. The people told me Joe bucked when someone else came to ride him and it wasn't until right before I gave her the check that she confessed he was a stallion until about 5 months previously. [:O]

But I saw the potential in him and I am glad I went back.