Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new poster, with new horse!
Welcome to the Forum PalRider. You have a very nice baby there with some well respected. Quarterhorse bloodlines.[^]

Training a horse (BTW what is his name) is a very rewarding sometimes frustrating experience. Trust in yourself and your horse and remember good horse training is really just a lot of little successes.

I wish you the same kind of experience as Beccajane with making him a life long companion.

Please send a few more pictures when you have time and keep us up to date with his training.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
I only have one update, which is that i found his vice...lol I knew he had to have one for the price I got him for, but hadn't found it yet. He apparently enjoys rearing up, a lot. I've got him doing basic showmanship, moving away from pressure and giving his head, whoaing and walk/trotting both ways on the longe line, minus the time he likes to spend in the air. He hasn't done it leading yet except when we tried to get him on the trailer, but I'm a little concerned about it while longing, and therefore won't try ground driving until we break him out of that little habit. I might try the training forum and see if anyone wants to share "my horse likes to rear" stories and experiences Smile Anyway.. here's another pic, (and I know he's filthy, I bathed him after working with him!) I know he wants to be a pleasure horse...or a trick pony haha

[Image: 2785163850105317182S425x425Q85.jpg]

[Image: 2186746470105317182S200x200Q85.jpg]
DON'T DO THIS AT HOME (or anywhere else)!

Years ago my FIL trained a horse to rear on command. He thought it would make a nice showy trick. The horse agreed and decided it would be fun to do all on his own. FIL realized it would be too dangerous (especially if he ever sold the horse) so to train him out of it he would clobber the horse over the head with a board when he reared.

Different times, different methods.
quote:
Originally posted by hoopski

DON'T DO THIS AT HOME (or anywhere else)!

Years ago my FIL trained a horse to rear on command. He thought it would make a nice showy trick. The horse agreed and decided it would be fun to do all on his own. FIL realized it would be too dangerous (especially if he ever sold the horse) so to train him out of it he would clobber the horse over the head with a board when he reared.

Different times, different methods.

Boy, don't know how many times I've heard that one too, and the egg smashed between the ears (now where do they carry those eggs while riding a rearing horse???).....but I've always wondered if a rolled up newspaper would work? [B)]

Rearing can be VERY dangerous though, so please be extremely careful, and find professional help if it's beyond your level of experience.

What triggers the rearing, is it random...or when he has bit pressure on his mouth? What type of bit are you using? Have his teeth and mouth been checked? Back pain? Just throwing a few things out that I'd start with.

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Yeah Hoop I am pretty sure no one has trained him for it Smile He hasn't been ridden or bitted or even saddled or any of that, the people claim to have done nothing with him up until this point (he's barely 3, I guess they didn't want to do anything wrong). I think at some point they did something screwy trying to longe him though, because he seems to just randomly panic and go up instead of forward. I've got him desentized to the longe whip which helped a lot, am not using the chain which also panics him..a round pen would probably be better at this point but there isn't one, so I'm trying to just calm him down on the line. Small circles, looping it over him, etc... He is fine leading, I just think he's going to need a lot of desensitizing and slow/correct longe-line training until he learns that nothing's going to eat him. I could also be confusing cues with him, I'm thinking of getting a friend out there with a video camera so I can try to see if I'm unconsciously doing anything while longing that sparks it, but I really don't know what is causing it since it seems completely random.

As far as back pain or anything he seems fine, his farrier is awesome and he just had his checkup so I wouldn't imagine it's pain-related, he isn't lame at all.. I think it's just random. He's not mean, definitely not mean, just really timid and.. instinctive if that makes sense.
I rode a mare a few years back for someone that would rear when you got on her. She had learned that if she reared, the rider would get off, untack her and put her up (smart pony [Big Grin]) I simply stayed on and she would eventually quit. She was a very nice ride and I actually like the little mare but I think her owner ended up selling her. She was never mean about the rear, it was just a way to buffalo the rider and allow her to be on permanent vacation.
I read somewhere about keeping the horse up in the air once they reared. I think this would take a pro with a good sense of balance and timing to do though. I know I wouldn't want to try it. Anyway, when the horse wanted to go down, the rider would lean back and force the horse to stay up. The idea was to tire the horse and make rearing seem like hard work.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Honestly...this horse is still a baby, and hasn't even been ridden yet! I don't think this rearing is anything but playfulness, and doesn't call for severe punishment at his point. I WOULD put him with a good trainer when it is time to ride him; someone who can nip it in the bud if he shows any tendency to do this while under saddle.

If this was an older, broke horse with the bad habit of rearing up while ridden, I'd be more worried.

EZ2SPOT
I'm new to this topic, kinda late I know. I too believe you do not have a vice, just a fun-loving baby. But dang those babies get big don't they? I've been taught to 'ignore' this behavior in a baby or trainee.