Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thrush-Seedy Toe. 10/26/09 Update
I mentioned in another post that Bud has a thrush infection in his toe. Some might remember that he had a couple of cracks in his left front. Here is a pic prior to me getting him and having his hooves trimmed:

[Image: leftfont1.jpg]

It's the crack on the left that has the thrush in it. Jeremy discovered it when Bud was shod last Friday and he cleaned it out then I squirted Thrush Buster in it.

I was going to ride him today so saddled up and walked around in the lot. When I asked for a trot he was noticably lame on that foot but he shows slight off & on lameness a LOT. Nothing really bad, no swelling or heat and many times, I'm probably the only one that would notice. I don't know if today's issue is related to the thrush or not but there's nothing else that I can see that would cause it.

Here's a pic from my cell after I scrubbed it with iodine shampoo and treated it again with Thrush Buster:

[Image: hoof-1.jpg]

Until Jeremy pared the chunk out of the hoof, there was not a hole or any indication of an infection. I really worked a brush into it and got a lot of black yuck out of it along with mud and grass. We've had a wet spring and there is rain forecasted for today and the rest of the week. [Sad]

I thought about wrapping it but then any moisture would be trapped inside which wouldn't be good. As it is, I know he'll get mud and water and who knows what else in it. I could put him in a stall but then he'd get pee and manure in it so I guess I'll just clean it everyday and hope to get a couple of hours of drying before the next rain. [Wink]

Does anyone have any other suggestions? The thrush pocket extends UP under the hoof wall at least 1/2 inch. [Sad]
Hi Karen. That looks like a challenge to get the Thrush Buster up in there. I wonder if maybe a small syringe with the needle removed might allow you to reach into the hole farther than the Thrush Buster tip? Maybe could get a squirt in a little deeper.
I know that, with Max, who I've always battled thrush with, he does better outside even if it is muddy than he does in his stall where is likely to stand in manure and urine, even with daily stall cleaning.
I'm hoping we get a little dry spell soon to let things kinda firm up. Even the mud around here is starting to stink!
Good luck.
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

You could try a boot to keep the mud and moisture out. This would work well in a stall. Outside it might depend on the specific weather conditions.

When our QH had an abcess we bandaged and put an oversize Boa boot on top of that for turnout in good weather. A little rain or dew was ok.

Lots of people in the yahoo barefoot group use Oxine soaks. They have great results and very fast with this. I haven't tried it yet as I am getting good results with Petes magic goo. I do know that thrush seems to be a very common cause of mystery lamenesses that come and go like you're speaking of. I think it is because it can hide so well in a hoof that you don't know it's there.
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

A very nice improvement in Bud's hoof. I suspect that now the Thrush is exposed and treated it will not be around for long.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Sometimes dentists have these syringes that have just a thin tube on the end instead of a needle, for squirting stuff into spaces where teeth were removed, if you could find something like that it might do the job nicely. Try asking your dentist for some cast-offs.

'plash
LOL! It was a bit of a struggle to get the hoof at an angle so the med would run down (which is up [Wink]. I had to hold the hoof so the sole was up and almost parallel to the ground. I was able to hold it for several seconds after squirting the stuff in it so hopefully it ran down which is up and covered the area.

I like the dentist syringe suggestion and think I've seen one around the house. Of course, finding it may be impossible.

We didn't have any rain yesterday so it had several hours to dry out. It's raining again today but after tomorrow we're supposed to have have several days with no rain. Hopefully, a couple of more treatments will get rid of it.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
His foot does look better.

A friends horses had some issue and they used a product called Clean Trax, you pour in the whole bottle and soak the foot.

Rather than true thrush up in there; that looks to be a very deep fungal infection of a different nature and is most likely why it's not responding to the Thrush Buster.

An alternative treatment that I have had success with when treating fungal issues in the sulci is:

First buy one of the cow dry products (ToMorrow or ToDay). I use ToMorrow

1. Soak the hoof in warm water/povidine (no shampoo)/clorox. Use plenty of povidine to make the water dark brown but only a about a capful of clorox. Clorox is something that "more is NOT better".

2. Pat the area as dry as you can get it with a paper towel.

3. Stick the needle nose of the cow dry as far inside the hole as you can get it and fill the hole. I always put diaper rash cream on top of the ToMorrow to hold it in longer.

I think I also see a small crack at the top of the hole. The cow dry may be able to be squirted in there too.

I soaked and squirted every night for quite a few weeks. I work and my horses come in at night, so in the mornings, all I did was brush the infected area out with a hard bristled finger nail brush then reapplied the ToMorrow.

I'm not even sure something like that will work on the actual hoof, but that hole needs more than thrush buster. It looks as if it will grow out and get trimmed off before it ever closes[Smile]

If he is sore when being ridden, I would keep him on pasture rest until that area is completely grown out. Maybe some ground work but nothing serious that would stress the hoof[Smile]

That all being said, that hoof looks fantastic compared to when you first brought the horse home. Lots of hard work and effort on your part and your farrier's[8D]
Thanks for the advice! I'll have to add Tomorrow to my shopping list. LOL!

Right now, I *think* it's better. I treated him yesterday and the cotton ball from Wednesday was still in the hole! I was AMAZED but it was there and there was no yuck in the cavity. I didn't get anymore of the black goo out this time but refilled the hole with Thrush Buster and a soaked cotton ball.

WTW, I don't think he has a crack extending up from the hole. I believe what you see in the pic is where the med ran down the hoof when I was holding it up. I did lunge him a little bit and he seemed sound but that might change today. [confused2

Of course, it's rained AGAIN.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~