Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to look for in a trainer -Rocky under saddle-
I don't know where you live but the trainer down the road from me and PG is great and I would trust him with any horse I had.He has done a colt starting clinic with one of my horses and has helped me loads with Gotone.I have never seen improper treatment or head tying at his place and PG and I both tend to just appear to visit.He is in southern indiana.
BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

ILJ, do it your way; it is your horse, and you are paying...then you should have some say in it or find the person that goes with your philosophy. I don't think you are closed to certain correction methods, but something to consider as to correction vs. rough. Those things run through my mind with my horse (mostly cause I am not tough enough).

Once home, you have to be able to duplicate the training and correction as needed to get the same response or it can get sour once home, horse gets confused. So...I think finding trainer in line with your own way of thinking is pretty important.

So, is decisions the Ohio Trainer?? Have you been able to see her work?

I haven't seen her work yet. Either tomorrow or next Tuesday I am going up to visit her and she is coming Saturday to see Rocky and see how I work with him so she can use the same type cues etc..

I am leaning towards her pretty heavily, but we still haven't met face to face yet.

quote:
Originally posted by BethAnn

I don't know where you live but the trainer down the road from me and PG is great and I would trust him with any horse I had.He has done a colt starting clinic with one of my horses and has helped me loads with Gotone.I have never seen improper treatment or head tying at his place and PG and I both tend to just appear to visit.He is in southern indiana.

Could you PM me his info?

I'm not Beth but PMed ya anyway. [Smile]
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
My 2 cents on trainer Dave....he appears to really care about the horses he rides. I would really like for you to just look at him, if you are thinking of going to Ohio. I would leave my horse with Dave and not worry at all. He seems to be a good honest man who really loves working with horses. Good luck on your decision and , I agree, go with your gut feeling!
quote:
Originally posted by beccajane

My 2 cents on trainer Dave....he appears to really care about the horses he rides. I would really like for you to just look at him, if you are thinking of going to Ohio. I would leave my horse with Dave and not worry at all. He seems to be a good honest man who really loves working with horses. Good luck on your decision and , I agree, go with your gut feeling!

He appears to be just about 2 hours away, same as the girl I like in Ohio. My concern with Dave is his itinerary looks pretty full.
His prices look good to me.

Update:

Girl from Ohio stopped by on Saturday and met Rocky and worked with him a bit. Hubby is concerned that this girl, who I LIKE, doesn't have enough experience. She has broken between 4 and 7 horses...(I heard 7 and hubby heard 4). I am heading up to the boarding facility where her horses are today.

Tomorrow (Apr 29th) I am heading up to Indiana to meet Dave Davis. Even though trailering Rocky is going to be pretty expensive, I want to hold my options open in case I can make other arrangements to get Rocky there for less.

The other trainer Dunhorsechic referred me to is still in the running as well. I missed meeting her last Wednesday due to a chicken emergency. But I am going to watch her give lessons and I was able to find the facility and it is pretty close.

Thanks for the update. This Dave Davis? http://www.davisranchandministries.com/

Patience will win out here. A very important decision for sure.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Yes that Dave Davis.

I had to cancel my trip due to a personal issue and I am emotionally wiped out. I hate to ask for help, but I need positive vibes, please.

quote:
Originally posted by ILoveJoe

Yes that Dave Davis.

I had to cancel my trip due to a personal issue and I am emotionally wiped out. I hate to ask for help, but I need positive vibes, please.

Positive vibes coming your way NOW.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson