Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
opinions on buying mediocre conformation
This is JUST a question...not buying...but:

Saw a horse that had been through a fjord eval, conformation per their numeric score eval system showed in medium range, movement medium range. Saw a video, mare, cute as a bug, quiet, willing, good basics. she had been bred in past with 5 foals.

If I was only looking for a solid quiet trail horse in this mare, what do you think the down sides would be?

Unless you have plans to breed for breed conformation classes, go for it. Most horses are only average in conformation and make perfectly good horses. Temperament and training are far more important than meeting a breed idealized conformation standard.

Make sure she is healthy and sound. Money spent on a pre-purchase exam is money well spent.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Hook thanks. That was my thinking if she was otherwise solid physically. She's a grey fjord, very cute, 12y/o, not a fasty which is fine, quiet, saw some videos on youtube. I am NOT buying another horse, repeat, NOT buying another horse......

but I sure like to look! The seller has dropped her price $500 ($3500) in the last month. Plus, she's in Utah, not that far...... Now....if they want to GIVE her away, plus pay for hay and transport, plus throw in a years hay to sweeten the deal........hmmmm[:o)]

Why am I always looking at horses?????? Then I saw a gal up the road who imports icelandics.....she's got 4 for sale! I noticed she has NOT dropped any prices...cheapest $10,500[:O][:O] but very cute... Still dreaming about that Fell pony....[Big Grin]

She is on www.youtube.com In the search: sierra fjord and there are 3 videos;bottom one shows the most though the 2nd one is cute....if you have nothing else to do....[Big Grin] She is pretty shaggy there but her ads in Horsetopia she looks really nice.

Very cute. I like those quiet tank shorties.....[Big Grin]
She certainly is laid back! Its hard to see under all that hair what her faults might actually be. I agree with Hook, a good pre-purchase would rule out the basics like soundness.... One additional caveat, it would be nice if you could find out what areas she scored low in, because scoring low in having large expressive eyes wouldn't concern me but scoring low in hind legs would!!
<'\__~
_(( // ====

I think she is so cute, looks really quiet, there were even other people in the area. Would be nice to see some outside video.
Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

Agreeing with Hook, I see no problems with her as a saddle horse. She seems very well trained and listens for commands and is quick to carry them out. I didn't see any kind of carriage problems in the videos.

I have to admit that I cringed after seeing the guy stand up on her back, I don't think I'd want anyone standing on my kidneys.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Thanks for your suggestions and comments, you guys are the best!

I emailed the lady; other interested party coming the 11th to see the mare. Got all the details, and she DOES sound like a great trail horse, emphasis on goes out alone, quiet, willing. No soundess issues Selling as bought gaited horses...she is trying to avoid a knee replacement and looking for smoother ride; she is 53.

The NFHR (fjord registry) eval scores for head/neck/legs/hind were each 6.5 out of 10; movement scores 6-7 range. I wonder if they are more critical with mares and stallions; they promote breeding only the best; in Europe, the stallions are licensed in some countries (not to say it doesn't happen unlicensed!!)

Still shots of her:
http://horsetopia.horse-for-sale.org/cla...s/ad363844

If serious, I would fly up to take look and ride, do pre purchase exam. Airfares reasonable! Seller says she would prefer a home where she did trail. Has had 5 foals, none past several years. I don't want to birth no babies.... can you think of semi broodmare status prior life as being any problem??? Heck, maybe kids wore her out and more quiet from all that!![Tongue]

I thought her pics gorgeous[:X].

I don't need another horse.. but IF she is all this lady says, she would be the RIGHT horse for me. I am hoping someone else buys her!!!!! BUT BUT BUT[Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

Thanks for your suggestions and comments, you guys are the best!

I emailed the lady; other interested party coming the 11th to see the mare. Got all the details, and she DOES sound like a great trail horse, emphasis on goes out alone, quiet, willing. No soundess issues Selling as bought gaited horses...she is trying to avoid a knee replacement and looking for smoother ride; she is 53.

The NFHR (fjord registry) eval scores for head/neck/legs/hind were each 6.5 out of 10; movement scores 6-7 range. I wonder if they are more critical with mares and stallions; they promote breeding only the best; in Europe, the stallions are licensed in some countries (not to say it doesn't happen unlicensed!!)

Still shots of her:
http://horsetopia.horse-for-sale.org/cla...s/ad363844

If serious, I would fly up to take look and ride, do pre purchase exam. Airfares reasonable! Seller says she would prefer a home where she did trail. Has had 5 foals, none past several years. I don't want to birth no babies.... can you think of semi broodmare status prior life as being any problem??? Heck, maybe kids wore her out and more quiet from all that!![Tongue]

I thought her pics gorgeous[:X].

I don't need another horse.. but IF she is all this lady says, she would be the RIGHT horse for me. I am hoping someone else buys her!!!!! BUT BUT BUT[Big Grin]

SO, when are you going to see her...............[Big Grin]

NO wait, as President of HAA,[:I] I am SUPPOSED to talk you out of acquiring any more horses....., so count the number of horses you have, review how much it costs to keep them, you might even calculate the ....... COST PER RIDE.[}Smile]

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

She looks like a real sweetheart! I think that's a good age too.
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

quote:
Originally posted by Hook

SO, when are you going to see her...............[Big Grin]

NO wait, as President of HAA,[:I] I am SUPPOSED to talk you out of acquiring any more horses....., so count the number of horses you have, review how much it costs to keep them, you might even calculate the ....... COST PER RIDE.[}Smile]

Now you know all HAA does is ENCOURAGE DE members to ADD to their equines and equine related stuff. LOL!!

Fractured,

I'm with everyone else on her conformation. She should make a great trail horse. My Joe's conformation leaves a lot to be desired but he can navigate a trail and get me back to the trailer in one piece. He's not going to make a reining horse nor a barrel horse and probably couldn't jump higher than his knees but I don't want him to do that anyway. [Wink]
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~