Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you do for a living???
I too, was a gas station attendant, as well as a Pizza and Drugstore delivery person to help pay the bills while I worked my way through he University of Waterloo to graduate with a Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering Degree. ( A long time ago[Big Grin])

Since then I have held several Engineering positions in various Industries from Home Appliances and Dental Bur Manufacturing to the Automotive Parts Industry. For the last 25 years or so I have managed auto parts plants in Southern Ontario. I have been with my present employer, who make Brake Pedals and Throttle Controls, for all of the big three and most of the transplants, for almost 10 years. I have managed all three of our Ontario locations with a short stint in England.

In my current assignment I am responsible for the costing and quoting of New Business for our world wide operations. The current economic downturn has hit us as well but we are looking forward to improved conditions and some new business awards in 2009.

Mrs Hook and I have been married for 37 years, have two grown children, (a boy and a girl), one grandchild and three step grandkids. We have our own little piece of paradise here where we have lived for the last 25 years with our menagerie of horses, dogs, cats and birds.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
awww shucks wtw. Thank you. Last night Mr. Parrot and I assembled around the wood burner and a few bottles of wine for our yearly planning discussion. It was aggreed that if we sold up the farmette, horses, moved to town and got mini jobs, our stanard of living could be much higher. Then we both looked at each other and said NAWWWW ain't gonna happen.
Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
I was with an outdoor first aid and medical kit company from 1991-2000. We sold that comany to another company and I went into radio. Was the production mgr (did all the production) for 3 stations and carried an airshift for 7 years until 1997. Then went back into the Outdoor FA biz (non-compete ran out) and started an internet business: www.rescue-essentials.com
It's not the best time to have a startup, but we're growing at a healthy clip despite ourselves (and the economy). If anyone here wants anything from that site, please send me a PM and I'll set up a discount program for you.

Would rather be cutting cows for a living, but the competition is... fierce to say the least.

I am a registered nurse specializing in orthopedics and neurosurgery, but my main area is sports medicine. I am currently working on finishing my masters in nursing in innovation and intra/entrepreneurship (basically looking for new niches in the nursing profession). My hubbie is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine and is one of the team docs for the university nearby. We have a 7 yr old who adores our horses and 2 miniature schnauzers- Lambeau and Maizy (my hubbie is a Green Bay packers fan and I went to Michigan so the dogs got names accordingly- lol)
BLACKIE: National Show Horse
BIG RED: sorrel quarterhorse
JAKE: sorrel/chestnut quarterhorse
Arena,

Nice store! Would any of the first aid kits fit in a saddle bag?
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
My 1st post. I really enjoyed reading all the different professions members have.

I work as an accounting clerk for a small CPA/Law firm. I've been in accounting a very long time. Worked for large companies but I prefer the smaller ones.

I'm really enjoying the forum. I've been reading for days.
quote:
Originally posted by catlpenr

My 1st post. I really enjoyed reading all the different professions members have.

I work as an accounting clerk for a small CPA/Law firm. I've been in accounting a very long time. Worked for large companies but I prefer the smaller ones.

I'm really enjoying the forum. I've been reading for days.

Hi Jan;

Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you aboard. Tell as a bit more about yourself, your horses and what made you decide to come out of "lurkdom".
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson

Hi there Jan. Glad you decided to post! There is sure a lot of good information on this forum, I too read for days before my first post.[Smile]
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Hi Jan, and welcome!

Have horses??? You KNOW that we love PICTURES!!! [Big Grin]

Ok...just went to your Profile info. Is that your horse on your profile page?? GORGEOUS!! ...and I see you're from Norman. Went to school with two girls from the area loooong ago that were from there. Have you lived there a long time?

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
Arena;
Oh my gosh...my husband will LOVE your online store! Can't wait to show it to him.
He asked to be "paid" in SAM splints for his extra job of overseeing the EMS Department at our local hospital. He wanted them delivered "in a brown paper bag" as his payment, in lieu of money. He's kidding, of course. (well, kinda. he really wants the splints to give to participants of his wilderness first aid course)

Now he can just skip hassling the hospital and order them from you!
If you can't be a good example, at least be a horrible warning.