Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Warning: De-icers
I was reading on the package insert for my new de-icer to never let minerals build up more than 1/32" on the heating element because it can rupture. Sure enough, before I could get my trough heater replaced that's what apparently happened with wires protruding out from the element into the water. I haven't replaced the outlet to a GFI yet but the thing just shut off with no shock to the water when I found it. Either this is pretty scary or I'm a paranoid new horse property owner. [cornfused
quote:
Originally posted by LindaOz

I was reading on the package insert for my new de-icer to never let minerals build up more than 1/32" on the heating element because it can rupture. Sure enough, before I could get my trough heater replaced that's what apparently happened with wires protruding out from the element into the water. I haven't replaced the outlet to a GFI yet but the thing just shut off with no shock to the water when I found it. Either this is pretty scary or I'm a paranoid new horse property owner. [confused

There may be a possibility of some internal circuitry to cut of the power when the element broke but I doubt it. My guess is that it shut down because the circuit was broken when the heater element broke. It is possible, depending upon the wiring and ground circuit that a short to ground was created through the water and tripped the breaker but I think you are a very lucky lady that there were no fatalities when the broken element was exposed to the water.

YOU really should get a GFI outlet or a CFI cord for MY piece of mind.[:I]
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Hook,
I have a guy doing the GFI today. I didn't know about the elements rupturing until after this happened and I read about that in the new de-icer manual. All I had been concerned with was a horse biting into the cord, so I ran it through piping so that couldn't happen. Thought we were safe for the time being, but I certainly was wrong on that one!
Linda
quote:
Originally posted by LindaOz

Hook,
I have a guy doing the GFI today. I didn't know about the elements rupturing until after this happened and I read about that in the new de-icer manual. All I had been concerned with was a horse biting into the cord, so I ran it through piping so that couldn't happen. Thought we were safe for the time being, but I certainly was wrong on that one!

Thank you Linda. You don't know how relieved and pleased I am.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Happy to hear that you are having it replaced and a GFI put in. Also happy to hear that no one was hurt.
Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Hook
Thank you Linda. You don't know how relieved and pleased I am.

Thanks Hook. I'm so grateful for all the info provided for this new horse property owner! Couldn't do it without you guys!

Linda
Linda