Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*I know its REALLY early,,,,,,,,2009 DE Trailride*
Okay, guys some of you may be rolling your eyes and others are excited to talk about the 2009 DE Trailride. Well, let me be the first to tell ya you can never plan too early, especially when finances are tight and schedules booked. Hopefully, the 2009 DE Trailride will be the biggest turnout yet!

I gathered a little bit of info from several of you at the 2008 ride and it looks like some want to have it at MTR again (which is fine). However, several showed interest in going someplace else. I did alittle research and Shawnee National Forest is a great, scenic place to go. Especially, this one place in particular its an all-in-one like MTR. www.bearbranch.com I urge you all to take a look at the website: It has cabins, electric campsites, stalls, a restaurant, a tackstore, etc. Now, in October the Parrots are going to Shawnee, they are going to try to check it out. As always, if any of you have an all-in-one place you'd like to suggest be sure to post it here.

Some of you are probably saying its farther away than MTR, but look at some of our DE members and at how far they have to drive. But let me tell ya I've been to Shawnee once and the rocks and scenery are just awesome, there's is nothing like it!!!

I also wanted to address the t-shirts. Does everyone want to go with those again? If so, same design or different? What about same colors or a mixture like we had? If I could get some feedback soon I'd appreciate it.

So, start "rat-holing" money cuz the 2009 DE Trailride is around the corner!!!

Sounds good!!!! I think the the destination should be on each year's shirts especially if we change places. JMO
Wendi
[url="http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pnfoRs6vqud-JpZvz-_9EQw"]Wendi's Riding Log[/url]

Good idea, horsehugger!
Gypsy my mare
<><
Cowgirl UP!
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride

"And anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
Act 2:21 NLT

Count me out. There's no way I can afford the gas to travel that far. I can barely afford the drive to MTR, and this would be about twice as far. Some DE members don't have the money for something like this unlike the ones that come over distance that have joined us in southern IN the last two years. I don't blame you for wanting to go somewhere else. I just wish my husband and I were a bit more financially secure so I could go, too, if everyone decides to go to Shawnee.

On a side note: I friend of ours showed EZ & me some really super great pics of Hocking Hills in Ohio. She said, in her opinion, that it was better than Shawnee when it came to sites to see. She said that the scenic spots were more in one area and not so spread out. Also, Illinois has some strict requirements for horses coming from out-of-state. Lots of red tape and jumping through hoops just to take a horse there. Might be something that you folks will want to check out before making any hasty decisions.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
RH, I see your point, that is why I wanted to do this soooo early so people could start saving money. So, I would have your vote for MTR then? I'm going to tally up who wants to go where. And basically, the majority wins! *And once again if anyone has any other suggestions, by all means.....*

The requirements for Illinois are a negative coggins and a health certificate. Both you have to get from the vet. You can do them at the same time and your horse has to be present. The coggins is just a drawing of blood and the health certificate they just check out your horse (you will need to give them the dates, addresses, etc. of your destination.) Its really not too bad.
Gypsy my mare
<><
Cowgirl UP!
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride

AS I understand it, you also have to get a special entry permit, and can't deviate from it.

Although I would like to see some other places, I'm pretty much in the same boat as RH! Finances are tight. Next spring, I may be having Spotless shipped from Washington, and then will have to board her somewhere, and none of that will be cheap. On the other hand, if she should sell before that, I might have some extra money. It is hard to say what things are going to be like a year from now! So I have to vote for MTR, too, at least at this time.

EZ2SPOT
I've not heard of an entry permit, doesnt mean it exist, we should probably ask the parrots.....
Gypsy my mare
<><
Cowgirl UP!
Ride 2 live, live 2 ride

This is an invaluable site to know about for doing any cross-state-line horse transportation: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/...ates.shtml. Looks like there is an entry permit requirement for Illinois, but I'm betting it's doesn't require more than a phone call.

'plash
Yes, the entry permit is not a myth. It's fact and I believe that you have to go through your vet to get it. Illinois, right now, is very unfriendly toward horse people, and there's a lot of politicking going on at this time involving horses. There's also something in the works about closing down many of the parks and/or forests that allow horse camping.

Going to Hocking Hills wouldn't be near the hassel. JMO

Also, I understand about saving up and starting to plan now for a trip farther from home. Unfortunately for me, I've had to do that just to make it to MTR this year and barely could afford to go. Even if I started now to try and save for a trip of this length, there's no way I could have that kind of money by the time of the trip. It might as well be on the moon.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Bear branch is only about 2 1/2 hours farther than hocking!!! As far as entry papers, all the vet has to do is make a phone call when you get your health cert to get the permit number. No big deal.
It's pretty doable if we carpool.
It only cost us $172 each for the week long trip to Iowa. That was food, gas, camping, etc.
So think about it, and ask for gas cards for Christmas!! LOL Lord knows I'm gonna.
Wendi
[url="http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pnfoRs6vqud-JpZvz-_9EQw"]Wendi's Riding Log[/url]