Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, I rode Blackie for the first time
Hey all,
Wanted to share that I got to ride Blackie today successfully. We lunged her first in the round pen and she did well. Then, I got up on her and rode a bit around the ring. I felt pretty good on her and she was well-behaved. The only thing that didn't set well for me was probably the english saddle. I will admit that she probably works well in an english, but its just not that comfortable for me (I have ridden western for a while and we spent a whole week on our ranch vacation on western saddles). It was the right size etc for me and her, but it was just sooo different. I'm thinking about checking out an aussie saddle to get hat blend of western and english. I don't want to jump her and really would prefer to trail ride and maybe even competitively trail ride her and the english saddle just wasn't enough for me. Do you all think I should try the english again and just make myself get used to it(no offense to those english riders out there, but its just really not my cup of tea at all) or should I check out an aussie? Any advice would be great. Smile

Oh, and one thing I have to tell you all and complain about:
So I'm in the barn getting Blackie all ready with one of the trainers on site and we're talking, enjoying, ourselves etc. Well, a friend of the stable owners shows up and just kinda stands there admiring my horse and hangs out watching everything we're doing. Well, no biggie usually and I thought she was just being curious and/or polite to compliment Blackie and THEN (and I just can't believe this) even though she knew the horse belonged to me and I was right there, she says to the trainer "If you ever hear someone who can't handle the horse wants to sell her, I'll buy her". I was like "What?" Then, she proceeded to get just enough in the way that I didn't even feel like I was working with the horse at all. Now, I can be confrontational but just didn't want to deal with it, ya know? I thought ok, whatever. THEN, she follows us to the round ring and stares at Blackie as the trainer lunged her, all the while making comments about how she should only be ridden english (even though she has been ridden both ways) etc etc etc. I am so glad I had sunglasses on because I was doing some serious eye rolls. Trust me, she just didn't look like she rides much or rides english correctly and just knows enough terminology/info to think she's knowledgeable. So time comes for me to get up on Blackie and she and her husband and 3 other family members I didn't know are all standing there staring at us!!! I realize I'm being a little sensitive but I was really looking forward to riding her without all the commentary and remarks about "If y'all ever want to sell her...." over and over. Yea, I get it lady- You like my horse! Enough!! Even my husband, who never gets bent out of shape about things like that thought she was soooo obnoxious. Anyway, long and short of it, she followed us back to the barn to watch me clean her (all the while offering tidbits of help). When I was done, I got Blackie back to the pasture and it was done. But geez! Has anyone ever had stuff like that happen? I mean, how rude and annoying! And its not like I could say much because they were the owners friends! Ugh! Sorry, just had to vent it all to a bunch of fellow horse owners. Just frustrating because it tainted what was actually not a bad ride at all. [8D]

Thanks for letting me spout off [Big Grin]

One of the down sides to boarding your horse at a facility is having to deal with people like that. There really isn't a lot you can do about them, but go on about your own business and ignore them. Sorry your special time had to be infringed upon by such an unthoughtful person. The trainer should have spoken up and said that the horse didn't belong to her as she is yours.
As for the english saddle, I would just get the type of saddle that you want and forget about what she has been ridden in. The horse doesn't care what kind of saddle you use, as long as it's comfortable for her. If you don't intend to show, who cares what type you use? Do you know anyone with an Aussie you can try? Or maybe check out the endurance style saddles. They are usually a little lighter than western saddles. I have two endurance saddles and love them both. They are rigged english, which I prefer. AE rides aussie, and can tell you about their rigging.
Bottom line... do what YOU want with your horse, and don't let yourself be influenced or intimidated by " helpful" advice. [Big Grin]
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Aww,thanks! I needed to hear that. Smile You are right and that is the same thing I would have told someone else with this problem but when its you yourself, its hard to ignore them when you just want to grab them and shake them- heehee! Thanks again Montezrider! Smile
BLACKIE: National Show Horse
BIG RED: sorrel quarterhorse
JAKE: sorrel/chestnut quarterhorse
Congrats on the first ride Smile It's always such an unknown when your first starting out. Sounds like having the trainer there was a good move. Another set of eyes to give you little adjustments etc.

Now barn people.. ya just have to tolerate them [Big Grin] Even though they are really being a pain one way to possible shut her up would have been to almost agree with her. A Thank you, I agree she IS very nice and we are really looking forward to riding her.... I"ll keep your offer in mind but right now we are very happy. End of discussion. Of course I come across to people as upfront anyway so I think I would have just straight up told them I would prefer if you would not stay and watch. I really want to focus on this first ride. Thank you for your compliments. then ignore them they aren't important. In my barn I am already the odd one out since I have Andalusians. We ride how we want, are friendly, agree when people want to share with me how beautiful they are[8D] but just do our own thing. As for saddle??? well, saddle, smaddle. Ride in what makes you feel comfortable. Depending on my horse I ride trail/arena in my dressage saddle. With Nanse it just works better for trail riding in my western but more often than not I ride him in his English bridle. He is comfortable and happy so who cares what we look like when we mix and match. I recently added a Circle Y endurance saddle for my Morgan and that is a mix of western and no horn. Another great saddle is the Tucker Endurnce saddle. I find it's easier to fit that than the Aussie saddles. With an Aussie saddle quality is very important.
Laurie
Andalusians NW,
Ridgefield, WA
Green+Green=black & blue(treasure the knowledge of an experienced horse)
Thanks for the thoughts. I guess I should also clarify that although this person was hanging out around the stable, they do not board there- I think they are neighbors from a farm or two over. They were just there...hanging out....obnoxious as you know what. Oh, and also although it was my first ride on Blackie, it wasn't my first ride ever by a long shot. Just first one on a mare currently at the end of her hormonal cycle (who was a freak-a-zoid 3 days ago) who is a little spunky anyway. Gotta love those girls! lol
Hi Red, congratulations on having a great first ride on Blackie in spite of the peanut gallery! How annoying.
What is it about the English saddle that you don't like? Is it the way the stirrups swing back and forth or is it the feeling that you aren't as secure as you feel in a western saddle or is it your leg position? If it is just the leg position you could try a dressage saddle that will let you sit a little more like a western saddle. If it is the legs swinging back and forth or the slight insecurity I would look at the endurance saddles as has already been suggested. Unless you have some special showing needs I agree with the posters who say ride in what you and the horse are both comfortable with. I have one horse I go back and forth with. I show her in dressage but trail ride in a western saddle. She doesn't care as long as the saddle fits her. Have fun!!

Red, one day after riding Monte, I was walking him back to the wash racks. This lady, who was new there, approached us from the front while holding out her hand towards Montes nose. He started backing away from her, and I made the comment, Monte whats wrong with you? This lady had the nerve to look me straight in the eye and say in a very condescending voice... You're leaning back, dear, that's why he's doing that. Well! I was blown away by her whole attitude, and just smiled and rode on. I later came to the conclusion that it's true that children and animals can sense evil. [Big Grin]
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

I have come to the conclusion that dumb comes in many packages. Last year early my husband had an equipment malfunction and his Aussie saddle slid, horse spooked and he fell off and then the rodeo was on to catch said spooked horse with the horse eater saddle.... when all was said and done we were back at the stalls untacking when "minnie mouse" comes from across the barn to give her .02 worth of advice as she has been "reading" ... Now this advice s from someone who one day wanted to know "why do you lunge your horse?".. there will always be those experts that feel the need to share. I just tune out the noise. [Big Grin]

Now as for touching my horse... Forget about it. I am very upfront and direct. Don't touch my horse. If you have your own go pay attention to it. My horses really don't like strangers and will ignore those wanting to pester them. They don't mind stall cleaners but they do not seek attention from those not in the family. Many people only get to see our horses fanny's [Big Grin]
Laurie
Andalusians NW,
Ridgefield, WA
Green+Green=black & blue(treasure the knowledge of an experienced horse)
Monte and Laurie- I am dying here laughing at those great stories! So good to know I'm not alone and as Forrest Gump said "Stupid is as stupid does". You know, I know people always have to give their 2 cents about kids and how we raise them etc but for some reason I just wasn't expecting it with the horse, although people probably give more with them! lol Its those people who have "read" something or know just enough info to think they are experts that are the most annoying. I tell people that although we have experience and have ridden quite a bit, we are approaching getting back into the horses as non-experts so we can continue to learn the right way.

bois- In answer to your questions, its more the security and wanting my legs to hang a bit lower. I'm used to western and like having them a bit lower. Also, I have one knee (post-ACL injury) that isn't the most comfortable with the shorter stirrups. Dressage or endurance are definite possibilities. I don't intend on showing. I just want to have a great relationship with Blackie and enjoy riding her for fun. To properly get her ready for showing, I would want to devote time to do it right. Since I also have a young son (6), time is a factor-at least until school starts up again. Smile

Thanks for all the encouragement, questions, suggestions, and funny antecdotes! I loved them and it really helped. Maybe I can train Blackie to kick her when she comes around to bother me again..... J/K! lol

-Laura
(Red)
WOOHOO!! Congrats on your first ride! It's always nice to have that first one over with.

Sorry about the barn dweeb. Hopefully, you won't have to put up with her all the time.
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~