Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chickens An Obscession *Pic Heavy*
On the 25th of June I bought 21 day old chicks from a local hatchery.

I made a slideshow showing them by breed and there are seven different breeds. The first picture shows them on June 26 and then again on the 11th of July. I can't believe how quickly they grow.

They are showing different personalities and a few are kinda 'peckish'. I have dubbed them Mean Jean and her sister Teena, both Plymouth Barred Rocks.

Chickens are not the easy subjects the cats were in the Kitten Chronicles!

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/IloveJoe_photo/chickens/?action=view¤t=02e7f368.pbw

edited to fix the slideshow link
What a mixed variety. It will be neat to see how they look when they have all their feathers.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Wow what a variety and so cute too! We would like to get chickens that lay eggs, no rooster though. One of our customers has chickens that look like beetles that have a beetle hair cut. Can't wait to see pictures as they get older.
Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

I just wonder how easy it was to take the pictures with them standing on the white cloth. How do you keep chicks in one place long enough to snap a photo?

Do chickens lay eggs without a rooster? I always thought you needed one. lol

Can't beat the taste of a farm-fresh egg, or for that matter farm-fresh chicken! Brings back memories from my childhood; some not so pleasant of being chased over a cellar by a headless chicken!
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Never thought about what a variety of chickens there are. How did you decide which kinds to get?
That Hoss is a good looking fella, and Mean Jean certainly holds herself in a superior type of body stance!
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

quote:
Originally posted by appygirl

I just wonder how easy it was to take the pictures with them standing on the white cloth. How do you keep chicks in one place long enough to snap a photo?

Do chickens lay eggs without a rooster? I always thought you needed one. lol

Can't beat the taste of a farm-fresh egg, or for that matter farm-fresh chicken! Brings back memories from my childhood; some not so pleasant of being chased over a cellar by a headless chicken!

A few of the breeds stayed exactly where I put them, I think that is just how they are. A few of them, the Araucana types kept wandering off.

Apparantly chickens start laying eggs at about 18 weeks of age, no rooster necessary. But since I would eventually like to have more chicks I would have bought a rooster if I had not been given Hoss. If I were to show or exhibit any chickens, then I would want a good looking rooster of the same breed as the hen I wanted to reproduce.

I was buying fresh eggs from a neighbor and paying 1.50 per dozen. MMMMmmmmm the taste is just so much richer. However the neighbor couldn't provide me with the quantity I go through. And I have always wanted chickens.

I have always said I bought the chickens just for the eggs and I could never eat one of them, but Mean Jean and her sidekick Teena are testing my resolve. [}Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by Montezrider

Never thought about what a variety of chickens there are. How did you decide which kinds to get?
That Hoss is a good looking fella, and Mean Jean certainly holds herself in a superior type of body stance!

Thanks, I think Hoss is handsome. He is certainly a big boy.

I made the decision on breeds based on their appearance, egg laying color, cold hardiness and gentle or docile nature. I think Mean Jean and Teena might be the exceptions to the breed standard for the Plymouth Barred Rocks. [B)]

My Pet Chicken has a breed selection tool and all the chickens I got were on the list matching my criteria.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/breedQuestions.aspx

They are now starting to establish pecking order and it is pretty hysterical to watch them slam dancing against each other and doing some pretty advanced Kung Fu type kicks. I have been instructed by some co-workers to video tape their antics so they can see them.

Well, we are into week 5 and the girls are getting huge. Today I did another Chicken Photo Shoot and man that was alot of work!

I just found out I have 8 breeds instead of 7. One of the Light Brahmas turned out to be a White Cochin!

Light Brahmas on the right, White Cochin on the left:

[Image: DSC_0081.jpg]

Silver Laced Wyandottes:

[Image: DSC_0054.jpg]

Golden Laced Wyandottes:

[Image: DSC_0063-1.jpg]

Easter Eggers:

[Image: DSC_0061-1.jpg]

Barred Rocks:

[Image: DSC_0058.jpg]

Black Australorps:

[Image: DSC_0070-1.jpg]

Buff Orpingtons:

[Image: DSC_0045.jpg]

Hoss has been jumping the 4 foot fence and putting himself in the infamous red cedar tree! He is grounded to his hutch until the coop is done.

[Image: DSC_0004-3.jpg]

I actually gave him a bath and a foot massage today[:I] I love that big dumb bird!
I'm just cracking up that you put them on the toilet lid to get them to stand nicely for their photographs!! [Image: laugher.gif]

Bath and a foot massage??!? I wanna be a chicken at your place!! [Big Grin]

'plash
I felt sorry for Hoss so I let him out this morning and he and the everyone else got some treats:

[Image: DSC_0007-2.jpg]

The day I took all these pictures of the girls, I also cleaned Hoss's House so he had to go back into the tub. I figured while he was in there I could scrub his feet (I suspect scaly mites) and put some vaseline on them. [:I] Hence the foot massage. He stood while I scrubbed his feet with an old toothbrush, then I....I...gave him a bath!

Here he is all wet and back in his clean disinfected, poultry-powdered hutch:

[Image: DSC_0002-3.jpg]

We don't have A/C so I ended up with a whopper of a migraine after all the back and forth carrying chickens in this heat!