Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many calories...
Anyone know how many calories you burn trail riding? Posting? Cantering? Standing trot? Talk about making exercise fun!
http://www.weightlossresource.com/tools/...tor1_2.cfm

Has a drop-down menu with lots of excercises--abuot 5 or 6 different ones for horses, including grooming, loping, trotting etc. You can also put in your height weight, etc. which makes it more accurate.

Also, here's a site with a chart of lots and lots of horse-related activities and calories burned:

http://tinyurl.com/2qf583
Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

http://www.weightlossresource.com/tools/...tor1_2.cfm

Has a drop-down menu with lots of excercises--abuot 5 or 6 different ones for horses, including grooming, loping, trotting etc. You can also put in your height weight, etc. which makes it more accurate.

Also, here's a site with a chart of lots and lots of horse-related activities and calories burned:

http://tinyurl.com/2qf583

Thanks Flooper! I especially like the second site you gave. Now if I could just make horseback riding a full time job I'd be a bean pole in no time![Tongue]
Linda
I don't know about the riding part, but there's lots of other exercise that we do as horse owners all the time such as toting hay, unloading grain sacks, carrying full water buckets, grooming horses, pushing wheel barrows, cleaning stalls... need I go on? LOL It would seem to me that these things take a whole lot more exertion than just riding[Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin].

And lets not forget about camping. I know some of us don't have to, but there's always the loading and unloading before and after the trip of the truck and trailer. And let's not forget about setting up camp and all the little things we do once we're there for the comfort of our horses as well as ourselves[Smile][Wink].

I had to laugh a year or so ago when a lady called on the phone who was looking for health club members at a reduced rate. I don't know if she understood the significance when I told her I had two exercise machines out in my barn. When asked what they were, I told her that they had four hooves, manes & tails, and whinny. She kept trying to sell me a membership, and I hung up on her! ROFLOL!!!

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Linda, I found this site that lists some of the common horse activities http://ultimatehorsesite.com/info/caloriesburned.html

HeHe... what Red Hawk said!

Looked at those charts, but they don't say anything about stacking 80lb bales 6-high in the barn. Or picking them out of the field. throwing them onto the trailer etc. They talk aboutt baling hay, though. Last time I cheecked everyone I knew had a machine to do that. Not that it's light work, but most of the time you're sitting in/on the tractor or baler... easy compared to picking them up by hand (which we always have to do).

Most private horse owners I know are pretty darn fit, and riding is the least of it. Regardless of how their profiles might appear, they're not people to get into contests of strength and endurance!
quote:
Originally posted by Arenadirt

HeHe... what Red Hawk said!

Looked at those charts, but they don't say anything about stacking 80lb bales 6-high in the barn. Or picking them out of the field. throwing them onto the trailer etc. They talk aboutt baling hay, though. Last time I cheecked everyone I knew had a machine to do that. Not that it's light work, but most of the time you're sitting in/on the tractor or baler... easy compared to picking them up by hand (which we always have to do).

Most private horse owners I know are pretty darn fit, and riding is the least of it. Regardless of how their profiles might appear, they're not people to get into contests of strength and endurance!

Dadgummit, Arenadirt. You ruined my excitement over finally getting my own horse property after boarding for 2 years! Just kidding. If it can get me fit again, I'll love every minute of it . . . almost. [^] Just hope I still have time ride! This place is going to take a LOT of hard work without a cowboy! I better teach "Magnum" how to pull logs and manure spreader before the move!
Linda
Don't be intimidated Linda, you'll love every minute of it! But in case you do get to feeling overwhelmed, keep this in mind: you probably know some people who have (or are) teenagers. I've found them to be an invaluable resource. (More and more so as I get longer in the tooth...) The young'uns don't tire easily, work for a pittance and are (contrary to some popular opinions) generally a pleasure to be around. Their high energy levels actually inspire me to go longer and harder than I otherwise might. They do need more supervision than some (not all) older folk, but IMO it's worth it - especially on days like our annual major hay-day when we have to put up hundreds of bales at a time.