Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
short legs long fenders!
how does everyone feel about "surgical procedures" lol to shorten fenders. I am 5 ft but I need a 16" seat. I am having a heck of a time finding a saddle. Usually by the time I get everything cranked up I have so much leather under my legs I can't feel my horse. He is 16.2 and my cues are way high on him anyway so all the extra bulk does not help. I also want something fully tooled so that also worries me about loping off leather. Any tips.

Can you get fenders in child size? I'm not a western rider, but I also am short and have gone through the "looking for short leathers" search. It's easier with english tack I think. However, with my Bob Marshall saddle, I had stirrups with 2"neck that I wanted to use and was really having trouble finding leathers. I used aussie ones, but the too much leather under my leg problem arose. I finally wound up buying those heavy duty web dog collars , and they worked like a charm.
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

Not unless I get a custom saddle. I am not sure if Circle Y or Crates will do that , I need to check. It is always a challenge and I hate cutting on a saddle because it kills the resale value. If anyone out there has any suggestions on custom saddles I would love to hear them. It would be fine If I had a small rear to go with my small legs....alas..J-Lo has nothing on me. lol
-Misty
I have always managed by pulling the fender as tight as possible against the top of saddle,lift your leathers and look cause you can usually pull them tighter than you think,then put a couple of extra holes in the correct spots and cut off excess(this doesen't show anyhow except as bulk).At 5 foot and rather round myself getting the best feel without bulk is hard to do anyhow!I'm not good at explaining things so hope you understand!
BethAnn
BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
Old thread, but, I've had the same prob with western fenders, except I'm more of a 14" to 15" seat. I found the Tex Flex Hillcrest 16" adjusts short enough using the factory holes and I could punch at least one more set higher up if I need to. I had a 16" Tex Tan Fast Back roper on the bullhide tree, and it was just to massive plus the fenders and leathers are man-size. I couldn't possibly shorten that one.

Dakota will allow you to order shorter adult fenders. I don't think it costs extra, but I could be wrong. I've just read other people's posts, not ordered a Dakota.
HI TC, Welcome to the Forum. Some very good suggestions.

Tell us a bit about yourself and your horses. We do Like Pictures here.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
quote:
Originally posted by lvmyaussie

how does everyone feel about "surgical procedures" lol to shorten fenders. I am 5 ft but I need a 16" seat. I am having a heck of a time finding a saddle. Usually by the time I get everything cranked up I have so much leather under my legs I can't feel my horse. He is 16.2 and my cues are way high on him anyway so all the extra bulk does not help. I also want something fully tooled so that also worries me about loping off leather. Any tips.

I purchased a used custom saddle on ebay that had been made for a long legged man and I am a 5'5" woman with legs on the short side. I had the same problem with bulk and the stirrups did not go up quite far enough, but I could get by. I had the opportunity to take it to the man who had made it in OK, Marty Byrd. He could have made new shorter fenders to fit me with the same tooling and he would have tried to match the darker "used" color of the leather. I wanted billets and a back cinch, too, and everything would have been around $400 to make and place on the saddle. Overall, it was a good deal and even though I had gotten a real good deal on the saddle, I passed. The saddle was sold as a 16" and was actually a 15.5" which was a slightly tight fit. For that reason, I could not rationalize spending more on a small saddle. I was, however, able to rationalize ordering a completely new saddle with the same type but slightly larger tree, with the right lenght of fenders, and picked my own tooling pattern. Within a couple of weeks, a man called to ask about my used saddle. Marty, knowing I was going to sell the older saddle, had been kind enough to send them my way! Not that you can find the maker of your saddle, but someone who does make or repair saddles can make a set of shorter ones for the saddle you have. It is worth a try especially if everything else about the saddle is good.
South West Illinois

When someone shows you who they are,...believe them. ~Maya Angelou
Hi Crooked post. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the information. Tell us a little bit more about you and your horses. BTW we do like pictures. [^]
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Hi Crooked post. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the information. Tell us a little bit more about you and your horses. BTW we do like pictures. [^]

Hi,

More about myself...uh, you mean beyond the fact that I have short legs?! LOL Well, remember you asked for it! Here's a brief history of me and my mare.

I as a small child I rode a Welsh pony with other pony riding friends in a small Kansas town ! As a teenager, I had access to my grandparents halter horses (arabs, apps, QH) to ride, but in my twenty's I got away from personal horse ownership for thirty years. My daughter has been involved with/owned/bred working cow horses for almost 20 years. I did ride her horses during visits until she gifted me with a SHORT 7 yo QH mare 1 1/2 years ago that she had purchased/rescued from a starving situation. A friend of my daughter's in Oregon, had been trying to offer trades for the little grey mare and eventually offered us "Sadie" aka Cash N CD. We made the trade for the much taller 3 yo sorrel cutting/cow horse bred filly.

Seems Sadie didn't "make it" as a high caliber cutter and the Oregon friend would not devulge details, possibly to not besmirch the name of the local trainer (?) or to protect the previous owners (?). Sadie now bears deep pock marks behind her girth path from the excessive spurring she received as a two year old for refusing the training program (?) or just not being mature enough(?). We just don't know, but we do know she won't find that particular training method with us!

To wrap up my story, I am now working toward refitting my old barn with a couple of stalls and fencing my 3.4 acre property to be able to move my horse to my place this coming summer. The funds to do all this come from my job as a science teacher in a middle school. I have found that working with horses and teenagers have many similarities!

[Big Grin] Thanks for the welcome.
South West Illinois

When someone shows you who they are,...believe them. ~Maya Angelou
Welcome to [de] CrookedPost! Great to have you here.

Sounds like you are getting back into horses after a long hiatus. There are lots of us here like that, some like me that just started into horses in middle age. You'll fit right in. My wife and I got started at the tender age of 50, along with our grown son. We have 5 horses that we love, and try to ride, and live about 30 miles southwest of Indianapolis.

Your mare Sadie sounds like she has gone through a lot in her short life so far and is now so very lucky to have you to give her the life she deserves.

Best of luck to you and her. Looking forward to getting to know you better.
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer