Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenie Mare
Haha, yeah. Everyone comments how me and her kind of look alike. And it gets even better because I wear black riding chaps and black boots when I ride. We like to match. :]
*Tara*
quote:
Originally posted by flashback

Hi!
I think you have a lot of work ahead of you! To get your easy spooked horse calm, I have had my horse for seven years now and he still spooks occationally but not near as much as in the beginning. the big thing is to build your horse selfconfidence and confidence in you as her trusting leader.
here are some great articles to desensitizing horses and practices how to help them overcome the spookiness hope they will help!

Hi Flashback;
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your info on despooking horses. Stick around awhile and tell us a bit about you and your horse experiences.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Welcome to the forum!
I like Picaboo, she is a very pretty mare. Love the pic's of the two of you.

I was wondering if anyone can give me saddle help? I know this is off subject of my mare, but I was just wondering if anyone here knows anything about brands of all purpose/hunter/jumper/close-contact saddles. [I'm a little green myself. Haha]

I know most of the people on this website ride western... is there anybody that knows english saddles? I plan on getting one soon- within the next two weeks, and I just don't know THAT much. I looked up the Wintec saddles, and from my opinion, they look fantastic. Then I searched for feedback on them, and it was just a love or hate kind of deal. I like them because they're synthetic and easy to manage and don't require leather care. People were saying how it screwed up their horses back, but that could be due to an unproper fit to their horse. That's mainly the owners part on not getting a professional opinion about the saddle after it's placed and ridden while on the horse. Other people say it's wonderful. Please tell me your opinion.

I mainly want to get something comfy. Something that will be comfortable for both me and Picaboo. I'm not riding to show, not riding to impress... I want something that I can use daily. All saddles I've seen are priced exclusively for show purpose. Not something ideally in my price range. [$100-600] I'm just not willing to spend THAT much.

If anyone could give me information on brands of saddles that are not that expensive, but perform very well for the price, I would love to know.

Thank you!
*Tara*
You can't go wrong with a quality leather saddle. Forget about buying new, look at used ones and get the one that is comfortable for both you and your horse. Before you buy it do some reasearch on the name and make sure its a quality brand. If they are taken care of they last forever, and if you want to sell in the future you will probably get your money back and sometimes more.

I have a Stubeen Wotan that is probably about 20 years old now and it still looks pretty much like a new saddle.

Most tack stores have used ones they have taken in on trade, you can also watch horse magazines and the regular for sale ads in newspapers. I wouln't recomend Ebay unless you know exactly what saddle and what tree you are looking for. If you know that then you can sometimes get fantastic deals there.

Beautiful girl you have there! Welcome to the forum, also.

Definately agree with Mrs. Hook, look for a good used saddle if you can. Maybe borrow from friends just to try out different types and see what fits you and your girl both. Different twists on saddles can make a big difference in how comfortable it is to you. Ride in them for a good while if you can. Love your pictures too!
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC

I second the advice on seeing if you can borrow some different types of saddles to see what seems best to you. Sometimes just a quick ride is enough to at least eliminate the ones that don't work, and then you've saved yourself that much possible hassle.

I like the "Romeo & Juliet" picture best... [Smile]

'plash
See, the problem is, I don't have many friends in the equine relations. I don't like the attitude of many people in the area. Everyone rides to compete and people can get really cocky and nasty. They think they're the absolute best. I'm not that way. I ride for the sport, I ride for the relationship betweeen me and my horse... not to show off, not to compete, not to get all prissy for nothing. So there isn't many ways I can try different types of saddles they would have. In lessons I use a Kincade. I really don't like the way it fits me. We used Maxams before. Yuckkk.

I currently have my friends saddle now, which is AWFUL. It's an off brand saddle and it didn't look so comfy on Peak's back. I had one lesson with her wearing it... I don't know, I kind of liked it because it was very worn in and had a deeper seat, but my instructor said that it wasn't my size. I also had to use a riser pad because it didn't fit her back.

Actually, I found a WONDERFUL saddle that I absolutely love. It's a Collegiate saddle. [Sells $1,000 or more.] Very very nice. It's a used saddle on Ebay, she used it for competing. 16.5, dark brown, medium tree, excellent condition! It comes with 2 girths, a martingale, bridle with reins and bit, SMB II boots, and a girth fuzzy. I heard Collegiates were actually good saddles. And it's not like this is a "starter pack" made with bad materials. [I know that not being able to try a saddle before you buy it is a risky move, but for just under $500 for all that stuff, there's no way you can go wrong.] I've seen pictures of the saddle and the things that it comes with.

So, if everything goes correctly. I will have this for Christmas. :]

Any thoughts on the saddle?

Thank you for the picture comments. :]
*Tara*
If its the Collegiate Saddle I am thinking of, it used to be made by Crosby. This was their medium level of saddle, so it should be ok quality wise.

I have strong reservations about the 16.5" seat though. Unless you are really skinny that seat is too small for you. When you are sitting properly in the saddle you should be able to lay 4 fingers on the back of the seat and just touch your butt. Also, don't forget you are young and are still growing.

Also, a medium tree does not really tell you whether or not it will fit your horse. It may fit her perfectly or it may hurt her back, you really need to put it on and see. English saddles can sometimes be restuffed to fit but you still have to get close to the proper shape of your horse.

Rather than buying from Ebay, I would start going to tack stores and looking at what they have. Ohio has a huge horse population, put a wanted ad where it can be seen by horse people and you should get lots of replies.

I owned a Collegiate Graduate for several years and was satisfied with the quality of the saddle... unfortunately it didn't fit my arab very well. It was a 16,or 16.5 and I came to realize that it was too small for me and I am a small person. The pommel was too high or close for my comfort. I am 5'2" and wear a size 4 jean and I still would have preferred a larger saddle. However we are all built different and it might work for you. You could probably sell it on if it didn't, and continue your saddle search. There are a lot of options out there and sometimes you just have to try them out and then move on to the next if it doesn't work. Can you go to a tack store and at least sit in some different saddles to try out how they fit you?
A good rider has a thinking mind, fine emotions and a sensitive hand.-Tu Yu,72 BC