Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitty Chronicles...An Update
The little kittens are still pretty shy, but I did get to stroke two of them while they played around my feet yesterday. You can see they still have their baby blue eyes. When do they change color, is it around 5-6 weeks?

Today Mama showed me how she teaches the lesson "How to teach the kids to eat mice 101."

I was really glad to see this because I can now refute my neighbors old wives tale about not feeding a cat or you will have mice. I feed this cat dry cat food, free choice and the bowl is always empty. This morning when I called Pastel, she came jogging down the road with a huge mouse flopping from her mouth. She took it in the garage, laid it down and called the kids out of hiding. I rushed off to get the camera and when I came back she was snacking at the dry food and the mouse was laid under my little red garden cart. The kittens nursed a bit then turned their attentions to their lesson.

My husband came in the garage midway through their investigation of the mouse and the two most timid kittens went back into hiding, but the bravest stayed to learn. Of course my husband muttered the whole while about cat poop and dead mouse carcasses until finally I handed him the camera and stomped off to fix some fence:
[Image: stompingoff.jpg]

Before I huffed off, I got a few good shots.

Pastel offers no encouragement towards proper technique used to grasp a mouse [poor mouse, hunh]:
[Image: mamaandmouse.jpg]

This little cutie seemed more interested in the flash going off than his lessons:
[Image: creamkitten.jpg]

The star pupil eventually just took the mouse and drug it off to the side:
[Image: bravekitten.jpg]
The mouse seems almost as large as the kitten.

I liked this picture with this little guy under the American flag on my cart:

[Image: madeinUSA.jpg]

I am hoping to get them all out of the garage and into the barn before the end of October...if they keep getting tame. I want them to be able to protect themselves a bit more before they move into the wide open barn and I block off the entrance under the garage door. My husband is hoping to get them out alot sooner and I am sure his methods would involve alot of arm waving, cussing and stomping and some seriously stressed out cats.

What a good mother cat to bring food. What beautiful blues eyes! they are really pretty kittens.
Colleen who hopes to have a horse soon.

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears -- Arabian proverb

ILJ, those are great shots. I just love the little orange male.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

What cute kittens! I love the first one too! (Of you umm..going to fix fence!) Sounds like hubby does have a little sense of humor, taking that shot! Looking at these makes me miss the kittens that we had around last year. I think they have all moved next door. Less dogs! It seems that Pastel is a good barn cat and a good Mommy. That was a nice, fat mouse. And at least one baby looked like it learned the lesson well. Thanks for sharing the pics and the stories!
ILJ are you stamping just a bit hard s you were walking away?

Hard to beat pictures of kittens. The expression on the grey one holding the mouse is so " I got it, now what do I do" and blued eyed innocence on the fawn coloured one. Appygirl, why do you say the he's a male?

C'mon ILJ tell us the names?

As you know we have 5 kittens, all who now have names: Mom GreyC, Braveheart and Lionheart (tabby twins), Onesy and Twosey ( white with grey spot and with two grey spots on their heads) and Tattoo (a GreyC look alike, Tabby white white apron and forearms, dark tatto spot on forearm) All getting more tame with the food bribes in preparation for their life altering experience. GreyC also brings mice and takes the kids on field trips.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Hook, the majority of orange kitties are male....true, some orange tigers can be female, but the males far outnumber the females in that color spectrum.

Kitties are one of our favorite animals at home (we have 3). Two of them are older 14 and 13, and sadly, I think the time is coming to make a decision on the 13-year old. Of course the Kiddo is having great difficulty having to think about such since it's so hard to realize you may soon lose an animal that's been a part of your life since early childhood.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

ILoveJoe
Just a little advice for what it is worth. It looks like your cats are in where you keep your lawn mower and tractor, if so I would tip the seats forward so the cats don't decide to try and sharpen thier claws on the seat. If they do somebody will be really unhappy, this is what I do.
Termite
I think we need daily kitty pictures so we can watch them grow up....just like we got to watch Cruiser grow up.
Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

I am heading out with camera to spend the day moving junk from the garage to the shed next to my tack. I actually have 2 full days in a row off of work! Woo Hooooo! I'll try to verify sexes on these little guys.

I am going to flip all the tractor mower seats forward, thanks Termite. Good Lawd! I can only imagine the ire my husband would generate if his precious tractor had claw marks anywhere on it. *shudder*

No names yet Hook, I will name them soon. Yes I was stamping and stomping and muttering "leave MY cats ALONE" as I huffed off.

My husband does tend to take pictures of me when I am not aware. His specialty seems to be when I am bent over something and my big tookus is the focal point.*grrr*

I spent the day moving the furniture out of the garage and into the shed. My husband is happy and amazed I was able to move a sectional, another sofa and chair, assorted hardwood chairs and all the wood trim all by myself. I backed the truck into the garage and slid furniture in and backed up to the shed door and drug it all back out.

The kitties now have wide open spaces to roam in and still a corner of boxes and stuff they can hide behind. No more mutterings from hubby about cat poop on our furniture. I did not mention the possibility of claws on the tractor or mower...shhhh.

Pastel attempted to get the kids to come out of the garage, but the doorway is as far as they got today.

Here comes the little male when mama called [yes he has man-parts]:
[Image: DSC_0001.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0002.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0003.jpg]
He almost makes it unmolested, but someone was hiding under the skids:
[Image: DSC_0004.jpg]
GOTCHA!
[Image: DSC_0005.jpg]
Hey! What's SHE doing here?!
[Image: DSC_0006.jpg]

I moved the plastic and sure enough cats crawling all over the furniture:
[Image: DSC_0011.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0017.jpg]

Pastel was relaxing after all the hub-bub of furniture moving and that pesky kid wouldn't let her rest.
Sneak Attack:
[Image: attack.jpg]

I think one of the shy torties had man parts, but I can't swear to it.