Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone out there lease thier horse?? Need Advice..
Hi Everyone,
I have a 14 year old Friesian mare that I want to half-lease. I am in the process of getting a lease agreement written up (with a lawyer friends help) that I hope will cover all the bases needed to protect us.

What I need to know is this:

1. How much to charge and how is this determined? (worth of horse, location, training, breed, expenses, etc...)

2. What are your (or your friend's) experiences with this? Was it a nightmare or a good thing all around?? Tell me your stories! Smile

3. If the horse came up lame-were there problems proving when/how it happened?

4. What are some important things I should ask a potential lessee?

5. Should I share my tack? The reason I ask this is because I ride in a Cashel soft saddle which may not be everyone's cup of tea. I cannot afford another saddle right now.

6. Should I enforce use of a helmet by the lessee?

My mare is used for pleasure only and is not show ring trained. She is a trail horse that has had a little dressage training. She is a good horse for an intermediate rider. The reason I want to half lease her is to offset some of her expenses as she is boarded and I still owe some $$$ on her. She gets ridden/excercised about 3 days a week by me now, My riding will likely lessen to about 2 days a week if she is leased.

Thanks so much for ANY feedback. Feel free to interject opinions, stories, advice and anything I probably missed. It's important to me to do this right by not only myself, but more importantly my horse. [Big Grin]
I've never leased out my horses but i haved been the leasee. Here are a couple of things that should be in the agreement.
What days the horse can be leased on, such as on tues, saturdays. You don't want to show up ready to ride and the owner is there tacking up. This has happened to me even with the forsaid agreement. One saturday i showed up ready to ride and owner's son was there with a buddy to use the horse. The owner knew about it and never even bothered to call me about it. I drove over an hour every saturday for my training session at this barn. I was really upset when that happened because it was more than once.
What the leasee is responsible for such as vet, farrier ect. I always as a leasee have thought boarding, feed, vet, farrier, equine dentist should rest on the owners shoulders unless it is a full lease.(100%). The owner thought i should be responsible for vaccinations ect, even though this was a 1/4 lease. There was two oher people leasing the horse and we found out she was charging all of us the price of vet ect.
What activites can be done with the for said horse such as pleasure riding only, taking lessons on ect.
Can they take the horse off of forsaid property for trailriding, showing ect.
If you don't mind them using your tack put it in the agreement, they can always buy their own.
A couple of good ideas would be telling them what bits, training items your horses prefer and you expect them to use.
I would also check references such as from instructors ect.
You might offer a trial lease say for 30 days to see if leasee, owner and horse is compatible with each other.
Some things may come up such as lameness; things like stone bruises, abcesses happen and rest on the owner.If the horse was overused through abuse and misuse this can rest on the part of the leasee but sometimes that is hard to prove.
The last horse i leased probally was the best i had, it was from a college student at a nearby college who boarded her horse. I payed the boarding fee, she took care of the vet ect. We did it for 6 months at a time. I did it for 2 years til she graduated and went back home. If there was a time she needed the horse on my day to ride, i did not mind as long as i was notified and given an alternate day that week, such as sunday. I gave her every other weekend to ride since i worked every other weekend. It was a good match. When it was over i decided i would just buy my own horse.
Hope this has helped a little.
That helped a LOT! I can only ride Tuesdays Thursdays and various times on the weekend. Thanks for sharing your experiences and suggestions. Anyone else out there with a story or suggestion?

How much were you charged??? I'm thinking of charging a flat fee (with provisions for vetting) so there are not surprises. This is a "gray area" for me.
I've never been involved with leasing but these are my suggestions.

Figure out your monthly expenses, board, supplements, farrier, regular shots and dental work, and any other reoccurring expense. After you determine that figure, then calculate what percentage are you going to ride and what percentage are they? That should give you a figure to work with.

Before I leased to anyone, I would talk to them and find out what they are looking for, what kind of riding they like to do (fast, meandering down the trail, etc), how much actual experience they have, how good a rider are they (are they going to be bouncing around on the horses back and always on his face)are they going to want to do lessons and if so, what teacher (then I would check out the teacher). How does all this fit in with your ideas?

Find out how they discipline a horse. If your idea of correction is to shake a rope at them and theirs is a chain over the nose - well you aren't going to get along well. What about longing or round penning? Some people will work a horse in a round pen until the horse is exhausted, others use it to just take the kinks out before they ride. What about their friends riding your horse?

I would also want to see how they ride, before I let them have access to my horse. Are they going to be teaching the horse bad habits or are they going to help further his training.

I am not sure about any extra vet bills, maybe split them in half. I can see not wanting to spend money on a vet call that is unnecessary but its important to know when to call the vet. Also, what happens if the horses gets hurt, who is responsible for the doctoring? A cut leg could require twice a day care for a month or so.

Also, find out if they really do have the disposable income to pay you. I have had friends who boarded horses and some people just wouldn't pay their bills. Also, make sure you have enough money put aside that you can pay expenses for a couple months if they don't.

Then once you figure out all the above to your satisfaction, I would want proof of liability insurance from them, and a hold harmless agreement signed.
Thanks for the insight. I forgot to mention that I have insurance on her. I need to contact Agri-risk and see how this might affect my policy.
I leased my "dead broke" with issues mare...she was in great health when she left. I had an open agreement (meaning I could visit when I wanted with no reason and no notice). She left me with snow pads on (navicular & arthritic) and the understanding that they get pulled within 2 weeks. 3 months later I went out to "visit" and she was at LEAST 300 pounds underwieght, pads still on, and running with a stud...not the only one like her "leased" either! BE CAREFUL please!!! My insurance was not in effect when I had a lease agreement on her!!!