Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone keep Horse Magazines I need HELP.
I can't remember what board it is on but someone had talked about how they store horse magazines. I'm a pack rat about somethings like horse magazines, books, bits, tack,....horses when the cash allows(lol not really not a collecter! never what to be that).

They take up a huge amount of space and are hard to find anything in. I would like to condence them some how but I am challeged in the field of keeping things in order(unless it's my tack room). It's so bad that some days I think that my own body is not in the proper order. [Wink]

I'm thinking of taking and ripping out what I want and putting them in binders. Now that goes agaisnt my "hate to ruin books" gene but it's the only cure I can think of for my over flow of magazines. I'm talking 10 plus years on 4 or 5 different ones and some for even longer then that. hmm that's roughly 600+ magazines!! Holy Beef Cows the problem is worst then I thought!!! Forget it I don't think I want to even deal with the problem! .... but I have to don't I. [Sad] Anyone want to help.

So I'm wondering if anyone has a method to this. A prefered storeage system, like what binders, folders, a way to index. What do to about if one page has information on both sides you want to keep but they need to go into two different spots.

If I don't reply back for awhile it's probably because I'm swimming in a sea of magzines with no life guard to save me.
Oh Dear!!! Can I relate!!!

What I finally did, was to buy three ring binders and the plastic page protectors that you slip the pages inside.

I then went through the magazines and would tear out an article and put the whole thing in one protector, with the title page up.

I just used the regular binder page-dividers, if more than one catagory went into a binder. Mine are into kind of loose categories, health, western pleasure, showmanship, training, legends (from AQHA Jounal) etc. If I am looking for something I only have to go through a hundred sheets rather than 100 magazines.

And now thinking of magazines, I still have stacks and stacks in the basement that I really need to go through.

I do have Journals from 1976 to 1978 that I need to do something with but I really hate to tear them apart. Lots of interesting reading and pictures of some of the greats. Those I will probably just stack up somewhere and leave intact.

Good luck Stormie! [Tongue][}Smile][Tongue]
I need all the luck since mine are all over the house, tucked here and there.

I have some really old ones too. A couple years of the QH Journals, a few really old ones from when my mom was young. I also have one issue of a magazine I think is called Women and horses or something like that with an article about Ruffin that I won't be ripping up.

What do you do if you run into a problem where one article ends on the front of a page and another one starts on the back of it? I don't have a copier and scanning and printing it off would be a pain. If anything I could just take a few here and there to the Club and use their copier but I hate to do that to. They should make the magzines so that they are easy to rip apart and put in binders.
quote:
Originally posted by Stormie

What do you do if you run into a problem where one article ends on the front of a page and another one starts on the back of it? I don't have a copier and scanning and printing it off would be a pain. If anything I could just take a few here and there to the Club and use their copier but I hate to do that to. They should make the magzines so that they are easy to rip apart and put in binders.

Forgot about those ones!!! They are all in their plastic covers and piled into a box waiting for me to take them to the copy place so they can get put in the proper binders. Something more to add to my to-do list. [Sad]
I am a organization nut when it comes to this. I keep mine all in each own binder and chrologically dated. The front tab has all the contents on articles and such... My dh calls it a sickness but it started when i went to nursing school and started collecting medical journals.It now has extended to my horse journals as well. It really comes in handy though when i'm looking up something in particular though. If only my house was half as organized.
Paint
do you have a huge index then or have to sit and go through each one to look for something like...training articles for weanlings/yearlings.
I just have the index for each binder, but i've only been collecting them for about 4 years.
[:O]Holy Manure! Thats more magazines than I had!
I had about 100 of them and what I did sadly was give them away to another horsey type person. Wish I hadn't there was a few mags that had some good info that I wanted to review but now they're gone and I think the person I gave them to threw them out![:O][B)] I wish I would have given them to a pony club or something so that they would get more use. I wish I would have kept my first ever horse magazine...
How sad.I regret it.

<font face="Tahoma"><font color="teal">"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."

"The horse, gives you the freedom from all life's challenges." H.Z.</font id="teal"></font id="Tahoma">

Actually, I think the best thing to do is to get rid of most of them! Very rarely do I ever go back to look something up. Information changes constantly, and what you read 4 or 5 years ago is probably no longer relevant. I've found I tend to remember training articles IF they are relevant to something I'm doing, or a problem I'm having.

I do save a few magazines...but only a few. The rest I give away, or donate for the silent auctions that some of our horse associations have at their meetings.

Dealing with all this paper just is not worth the hassle to me. My life is complicated enough! It is funny that this subject came up, just as I am getting ready to give away or throw away quite a few magazines!

EZ2SPOT
Throwing them out or even giving them away isn't really an option. Pack rat...that would kill me. No really because I know if they where stored in a way I could find what I wanted when I wanted it I would use that resource. I have yet to find a vet book that gives you enough information where many of the aritcles in Equus and The Horse give you way more. If I can just walk over, pick out a health binder and flip to something like founder it would make it so easy.

i agree that some things are outdated but something the older articles are useful to for tips like wraping, or soaking and since they put it in an old one they don't always put it in a new one.

So I have decides to sit down and cut the binding off each one and file the articles by topic and subtopic. Some I won't be doing that with like my AQHA magazines because many of the stud adds can come in handy. Or The Perfect Horse or Horse Journal because those don't have the amount of ads in them so cutting them up would only weed out the front and back cover. Plus I don't have many so it's not that hard to keep them.