Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15" or 16" saddle seat?
Good candidate for a sticky, I'd say....

'plash
I agree, it would make a great sticky.

[Smile]I would like to know my size for saddle
Do you go by the size or how it feels
I am small person
I need a new saddle but not sure if the one i have is
right for me.
quote:
Originally posted by farmgirl

[Smile]I would like to know my size for saddle
Do you go by the size or how it feels
I am small person
I need a new saddle but not sure if the one i have is
right for me.

Check out this chart from the saddle shop.
http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/saddle-se...chart.html
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
I love the stickies! The sizing chart that Chuck has on the saddle shop site is the best and clearest one I've seen. I am just under 5' 9" and at 145ish lbs. (yeah, it goes up and down [Wink] ), I am a 16" seat.
The saddle brand and type DOES make a difference though if you are borderline on some of the sizes. That's where a nice saddle shop comes in handy where you can go and sit in a few. Unfortunately, Anchorage, Alaska does not have one. [Sad]
Next best thing is Chucks shop!

It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Karen-Anchorage, Alaska
I'm a smaller adult (5' to 5'1") and I've found three problem areas when trying to fit a western saddle:

1. Unless the saddle seat is built up with padding an/or a riser, a 15" or larger might very well still be too big. Slick seat saddles have no padding, so they will feel 1/2" to 1" larger than a padded seat, usually. You might need to go down to 14" in a slick seat. Saddle companies used to make some 14" ladies saddles with about a 3" or so cantle and fenders just slightly cut down. They were saddles for older teens and smaller women, as opposed to kid's or youth saddles. They had the quality and the look of a serious adult saddle, lol. Circle Y offers 14.5" in their upper end models of ranch saddles.

2. Saddle is too long in the seat, *and* the stirrups are also hung too far out in front. With that combo, I'm miserable. It puts me in a great position for riding a Harley, maybe, but not for riding a horse. :-) You can ride a longer seat, provided the stirrups are set back a little farther than usual. (Saddle seat English equitation has made a new art form out of this since the invention of the adjustable stirrp bar.) I've found that Tex Tan fits me better that Circle Y. I can actually ride the 16" Tex Tan flex and Imperial show saddles. The Flex I have is the 16" Hillcrest with the deep pocket, and the Imperials I've ridden are 16" but have a slightly built-up equitation seat. I can shorteh the stirrups enough without punching any new holes. I might have been happier with a 15" Tex Flex something but the store had a deal on the 16". I also tried a Circle Y 15" Flex, but the stirrups felt too far out in front for my liking.

3. Seatwork is everything. That's why you have to try sitting in the saddle, with the stirrups properly adjusted for you. The seat has to be the right length, cantle has to slope right, the "dish" or curve of it has to give you the right amount of room, the "dip" or low point of the seat has to be in the right place. One thing I've run into with older saddles, particularly ropers and some vintage show saddles, is the twist is too wide. Some western saddles are just too wide across the seat to be comfortable. They may work for tall riders, but I feel like I'm straddling a barrel and I can't get my legs around it. I think the modern show and pleasure saddles and most ropers have moved away from this and narrower twists are more common now. I don't see a lot of serious bullhide tree ranch saddles in my area. Local shops have mostly barrel, show, and flex tree pleasure models.
Some great suggestions and observations, TC.

Mrs Hook ordered a Dakota with a 14" seat from Chuck at the saddleshop and I am pretty sure you can order different stirrup leathers.

Tex Tan said they would make a Tex-Flex with a 13" seat with full size leathers on a special order when we were talking to them at the Congress so I think if one is clear with what they want and are willing to wait they can get the combination that works for them.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson