Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15" or 16" saddle seat?
I am wondering what size saddle seat I really should be using? I am 5'3 and I weigh 124 lbs....I do tend to flexuate 5 lbs sometimes less. So what size seat should I be getting I am looking at Western saddles.
I would think a 15" seat should fit you just fine. I'd also go to a shop where they sell lots of saddles and just sit in a few. Even western saddles with the same seat size will feel different depending on the type... western pleasure, trail, roping, cutting, barrel racing, etc. And don't let the names fool you. I trail ride more than anything else but use a barrel saddle. I like the deep seat and the sense of security it gives me when going up & down hills[Smile].

Also, I've ridden in a 15" seat for most of my life. I'm 5'1" and weigh about 130 lbs. But I was comfortable in the same size of saddle when I was much younger and weighed 105 lbs. But that's been over 30 years ago[:O][:I].[Big Grin]
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Thanks Red Hawk....I think my Fiancee is going to buy me a saddle for Christmas....I am thinking that a deep saddle seat was what I was looking for as I trail ride too! Is there really a huge difference between 15 and 16 inches do you think?
Atrayou
quote:
Originally posted by Atrayou

Thanks Red Hawk....I think my Fiancee is going to buy me a saddle for Christmas....I am thinking that a deep saddle seat was what I was looking for as I trail ride too! Is there really a huge difference between 15 and 16 inches do you think?

All my western saddles have been 15". I have sat in a couple of 16" saddles, and I felt I moved around too much in them to keep my seat where it should be. I can only give you my own experiences in such things as they have applied to me. I don't know if it would be different for someone else.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
You really have to sit in them. Some don't feel that different but others do. My sister's old saddle was a 16" and felt like a 14" because of how it was made. Also deep might not be best make sure you try it out.

I would say don't let him buy you a saddle. Instead tell him that if that is what he wants to get you let you pick it out withen the price range he wants. You need to sit in it to see if it works for you but even more important you need to make sure it is going to fit your horse. Ten to one if he just goes out and picks one out for you without any thought to what would fit the mare or you not sitting in it it won't work as well as it should.
Oh No we are going to make sure it fits my mare....first and formost I am looking for a saddle that fits her....then me. Not sure if that is the right way to go about it...but the more research I do I am reading that a proper saddle fit on the horse makes a world of difference in the horse's performance. So I more thne anythijng want her to be comfotable with the new saddle. I am still looking into the Wintec's.....they seems to be a good synthetic saddle and fairly light weight.
I do want to ride her in the winter months But I am wondering....to those of you that do ride out in the snow. Do you go out on snow machine trails or do you just go out in fairly deep snow and make your own trails? I have a camp ground across the road that is full of snow machine trails. They are pretty much used during weekends, that being the busy times. I have been out there many times getting my brush for Christmas wreaths last winter and found it to be very quiet...so I was thinking that would be a great place to go and ride her? Or My Fiancee' will take the snow blower and make a big circle around the pasture area....my concern with that will be the ice of course so I will use sand on it....but I would really love to get out into the woods and enjoy the snow covered trees. What about all of you do any of you ride outside in the winter?
Atrayou
I personally would not use snowmobile trails. They go pretty fast and may not have time to stop for you. Also the noise may scary the horse apples out of her. If one does catch up to you and wants to get around you, there may be not good way to do that. Most snowmobile trails would not be open to horse traffice because of the high risk it would be for both rider and snowmobiler. My brother hit a deer on a blind corner and it nearly killed him. If that would have been a horse it would have killed him and probably the horse and maybe rider. I put this up there with riding a horse down the middle of a freeway, they are moving fast, can't always slow down in time and can really freak out a horse. And even if there isn't a lot of people there during the week I still wouldn't trust it. If you do decide to do this check the rules first. Most trail systems in heavy winter areas are closed to horses. Sadly many are closed to them in the summer months also, so double check that too if you don't know for sure about this parks rules.

How much snow do you get? Unless the snow is really deep you can ride in it with no problem. I wouldn't put sand on any path in the pasture and really not salt because that will kill the grass. The sand would probably be a waste of money but it will also alter the pasture and maybe not for the best. I ride on trails until the snow is too deep and then on the plowed camp road but this is personal trails on private land so no worry about crazy people on snowmobiles. I use Easy Boots with Ice studs which help with the snowballing and ice. If you shoe your horse have pads put on before snow so you don't get snow balling. Talk it over with your farrier about the best shoe and pad to use for riding in winter. If not you can use boots with studs. We also plow a very large area, we have to because of the amount of snow we get so by the end of winter it's much smaller. I also ride in this area. I try to ride nearly every day in the winter when I have a horse broke enough to ride in conditions like this. Even if it is just the 3/4 mile to check the mile.
I was also wondering what size of saddle to go to. Over the last several years I have gained some major wait. When I was younger I was 5'7" at 135 and road a 15 pretty easy. Now however I have gained. Now Im pushing 200 and don't seem to losing Im wondering if I should go to a 18. Right now I ride bare back cause I was going to loose wait and fit back into my saddle no such luck. I have a hard time sitting in saddles on the racks at the shop cause Im scared ill break those flimsy things. So I don't try many out.
http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2362

This is the link I got from Chuck

that link makes life soooooooooooo much easier.