Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Hope for my Friend?
I have a riding buddy that has a mare 6 or 7 year old. She has had this horse for a few months now but life has caused her not to be able to be consistent with spending time and working with her horse.

The horse seems to be in good health as far as teeth, feet, etc.

The mare's issue is that when she doesn't want to go froward she keeps backing up while doing mini rears. Even while giving the horse a good kick to encourage her to move out the horse will keep backing up. She has made progress with the mare. We have been able to hit the trails but then we get to a certain place and the mare freezes in place and starts the mini rearing, backing, attempting to bolt tendencies. The owner is determined to work with the mare. She seems to have good patience but admits it is a heck of a challenge.

The mare has a defiant streak in her but sometimes she appears that she is just frightened.

Personally if the horse was mine I would be thinking about getting rid of her because I've witnessed how exhausting it is when she gets into that mode.

I did suggest for her to turn her horse in tight circles. I told her to grab down on the reins and pull the reins toward her knee while encouraging the horse with her left leg. She says that doesn't work.

It seems like she is going to have to resort to doing some ground work with the horse. I don't know what to advice her specifically.

Any suggestions?
Sounds to me this mare in the past learned she could get out of work by doing this - some good roundpen work would do her good IMO....[^]
I agree. Sounds to me like she needs to go back to basics and fill in some holes.

By the way, welcome to DE, grullagal! Good to have your input.
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

Thank you for the welcome!- I'm mainly a lurker [Big Grin] - I like to read and learn from the posts - on occasion comment....how do you put a personal photo into your posting area? (Instead of an avatar?)

Thanks!
Flooper or Hook, or somebody, will have to give you the details, but I think you have to send a request with a link or photo to Chuck and ask him to make it your avatar.
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

quote:
Originally posted by grullagal

Thank you for the welcome!- I'm mainly a lurker [Big Grin] - I like to read and learn from the posts - on occasion comment....how do you put a personal photo into your posting area? (Instead of an avatar?)

Thanks!

You need to make a 64 x 64 jpg or gif and upload it to the Internet somewhere, like Photobucket. Then give Chuck the location and which userid to associate it with and he will fix you up.

Here is a link to when I had Chuck make one for me.

http://www.dailyequine.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2477&SearchTerms=Avatar

Opps, Looks like you figured it out
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Ttyndale, if your friend is not familar with doing groundwork with a horse, have her look into buying or renting a good training tape. John Lyons, Pat Parelli, Clinton Anderson, and many others, are all good and will give her someplace to start. She might even be able to check them out from her local library.

When I got Butterbaby (she was 7 at the time and is 16 now), she only had one gear, and that was reverse. I actually rode her around a 4-acre pasture--backwards! I taught her the Parelli games, including circling at the end of the lead in response to swinging the end of the rope as a cue to move forward. When she learned that, I got on, and when she refused to move & started backing, swinging the end of a rope (from the saddle) let her know she was to move forward.

Tagnrocky had this problem with her horse, Rocky, on the trails & was able to greatly improve him by practicing one-rein stops! She will have to tell you more about it.

Also, what kind of bit is your friend using? Pulling a horse's head to one side while using a curb bit generally does not work. You need a snaffle for this.

EZ2SPOT

Thanks everyone for feedback!

EZ2Spot, I will mention to her about buying video. She mentioned some technique that she was going to try to use. I forgot what she called it. I am going to ask her what technique she was referring to. She is using a curb bit.

I agree that there are some holes in this horses training and for her to start with the basics. I really suggest for her to get another horse because she doesn't have a lot of time to work with the horse and she is missing out on some good riding time and that is what she really wants to do.
quote:
Originally posted by grullagal

Thanks!

Welcome to the Board, Grullagal!

To put a pic in a post, you need to have it online first. Most of us use [url="http://www.photobucket.com"]Photobucket[/url]. It's very easy to use! Create your account, upload your pics, then copy the IMG tag under the thumbnail. Paste it into your post here. That's IT!!

As a consideration to those of us that have S.L.O.W. dialup (like me!), if you choose the "tool" option in Photobucket, you can resize your pics so they aren't poster sized but will fit nicely into the post. I think most pics that have a maximum of 400-500 pixels on the long side work well.

I look forward to your pics!
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
Ty, I did have a similar problem with my horse, except I didn't have the rearing stuff. Usually it happened at a fork in the trail and he wanted to go a different way than I did. Circling and kicking had no effect.
He would balk and then back up, often until he backed into a tree. Something that helped was waiting him out. He didn't want to go my way and I didn't want to go his way, so I just sat there and waited. Usually within a couple of minutes, he would acquiese and continue on. I don't think this would work with every horse, as some are lazy and wanting to get out of work, so It might be a reward for them. Rocky likes going out, but he wanted to do it on his terms, so standing still was very boring to him. Your friend could also try backing down the trail (like EZ did with her mare). Or, can you ride ahead and have the horse draft off of your horse? Another trick, actually EZ's idea, I growled at him once and he stopped balking and continued on.
The one rein stop exercise was more effective at slowing down my racy horse, although it did make him understand that I could control his feet and made him more obedient to my cues.
Nancy (and Tag & Rocky)
Free & easy down the trail I go......