Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmets - Poll
I would like to develop some data on helmet use by forum members. Please review and select the answer that is closest to your helmet usage.
I believe that helmet use will increase as safety conscious riders protect their brains. It seems to me that I see more helmets being worn on the trails now than just 3 years ago. Besides, As more and more people wear helmets and they become more common, they don't look as funny. [Wink]

There will always be the ones that will not use a helmet just like there are those that won't wear a seat belt but many more people are realizing the importance of the "brain bucket". As for a false sense of security, I really don't see that at all. There are plenty of other parts of one's body to injure and I do everything I can NOT to injure them. Just because I wear a helmet, I'm not going to be doing stooopid stuff thinking that I'm invincible but then, I'm not as young and dumb as I once was. [Wink]
Karen ~ Trails  
  &
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."
[Image: th_horse-galloping.gif]  

~~~~~~
I picked that I always wear a helmet but that it's totally true. I always where it when schooling/trail riding and for speed events but not for some classes of showing or some parades. Times when you have an outfit you have to wear and a helmet isn't included in it.
Of the 19 people participating in the poll 68% wear the helmets every time they ride. Another 15% either wear the helmet occasionally or plan to get a helmet.

17% have no interest in using a helmet.

I think that forum members are predominately more safety conscious than average and have a better feeling for the dangers of riding horses.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

I think that forum members are predominately more safety conscious than average and have a better feeling for the dangers of riding horses.

I think you are probably correct in that statement, because when I am out riding I would say probably not more than 20% of the people I see are wearing helmets. (This is just trails and in the public, not shows, etc.)
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

quote:
Originally posted by hmeyer

quote:
Originally posted by Hook

I think you are probably correct in that statement, because when I am out riding I would say probably not more than 20% of the people I see are wearing helmets. (This is just trails and in the public, not shows, etc.)

I so wish that were true around my neck-of-the-woods. I usually do good to see one or two other people wearing helmets at SSF or LBW, and the ones that do are usually children riding with their parents. Seems the parents are concerned about their children's safety, but think they don't need to wear one, themselves.

I've never been scoffed at for wearing one by other trail riders, but I know there are many who think it's sissy or not the "cowboy" way. Personally, I don't care what I look like if it can keep me a little safer when I ride... and it was rather funny, yesterday when I rode the reservoir trails out of SSF. I must have hit my head 3 or 4 times on low hanging branches. This was a whole lot more than normal, since I usually don't hit any, but I heard the "CLUNK!" of it on my helmet every time.
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
I used to not wear a helmet unless I was training but after 2 seriously bad accidents I now wear one at all times.If I hadn't been wearing the ugly dang thing I wouldn't be writing this now.
BethAnn
BethAnn Stewart
Palmyra,Indiana

Lovie-gypsy vanner
Lad- Clydesdale

Do not take up the warpath without a just cause and honest purpose. Pushmataha-Choctow leader
I haven't looked at this poll for awhile, and I am amazed that at least one person actually thinks that real horse people do not use or wear helmets[Sad!]!

Let me see... Hook and his wife wear them and raise some of the best QH's I've ever seen and show on a regular basis. They also breed QH's. And I've been in horses for over 40 years and showed for 35 of those years, with 15 of them showing Appaloosas in regional and national level competition. I also know several endurance racers that wear helmets and one lady(who happens to be a very dear friend of mine[^]) who has well over 6000 endurance miles to her credit. These all sound like very serious horse people and are just a sampling of those who wear helmets.

And one more point... Professional bull riders wear them, too. I sure would like to see someone call THEM sissys or not real horse people!
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Of the 30 people participating in the poll 67% wear the helmets every time they ride. Another 20%% either wear the helmet occasionally or plan to get a helmet.

10% have no interest in using a helmet and 3% ( 1 Person) thinks that real horse people do not wear helmets.

19 of the 30 votes were from Forum members.

It seems that forum members are very safety cautious.

I wonder what reasoning is there for not wearing a helmet Vanity or ???.

I talked to one older experienced horse person who thought that wearing helmets contributed to neck injuries from the whiplash like affect of the added weight of the helmet on your head during higher speed events.

Comments?
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Too heavy[:O][:O][:O]??? You've GOT to be kidding me!!! I hardly know I have mine on when I ride.

I would say this person has never worn one from the sound of things. They do look cumbersome, but they are NOT heavy. On the contrary, they are very light weight.
--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown