Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hook's Homestead
Very nice! Any inside pics of that barn?
Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

https://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Do you have the abstract, I think it is, handy? It'll usually say on there when or about when the house was built. Our's was built right around the turn of the century, too...1900. I haven't gone through the whole abstract (like I said, I hope I'm using the right term), but I think the entire history of our house is on it.

I don't think our house is quite that big... at least not from the outside. Our's is 9 rooms and 2 stories. The upstairs is 3 large bedrooms, which we use mainly for storage. Kinda like one, big over-sized attic[Smile].
"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Great place, Hook. I love old farmhouses! Nice looking barn, too. What kind of stalls do you have?

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Since we haven't heard from Hook for a while, I've got a feeling he's either out there birthin' or taking pictures of the inside of the barn.
"You learn a thing a day, you store up smart" - Festus Haggen

"A man’s soul can’t be hidden,
From the creatures in his care." -
Hard Candy Cowboy by Debra Meyer

quote:
Originally posted by Chuck

Barn is 34 X 50 with 8 stalls 10X12 with 10 foot aisles, 10x12 heated tack room with sink, Bar fridge & hot & cold water and 10 X 12 feed areas for grain bin and hay. Full length hay mow above barn 6 feet high.

Barn is finished with 2X6 spruce spruce plank floor to ceiling walls , 2 X 6 removable partitions, all varnished with black metal u-caps on fronts and partition to prevent chewing. Water bowls in the stalls. Aisle is interlocking brick. No bar on stalls except for one partition between profit and his mom. Floors in stall are wooden planks with drainage underneath. Doors are swinging type.

Barn Tees into 50 x 100 arena with large doors on each end.

I will take some pictures and post them sometime between now & week end.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

Hook , wow! Beautiful place! Curious, when a home is that old, how in the world do you keep it up? Geez, mine hit 20 and no kidding, something major seems to break on a monthly basis. Can't beat the charm of an old home like yours. I'd take your sissy trails any day.......just beautiful country.

We have completely gutted this old house and it is almost like new again. Walls used to consist of lathe & plaster plus layer of 1" boards on full 4" studs. We added 2 X2 to the studs, 6" insulation, vapour barrier and dry wall. All new electrics including main 200 service installed by yours truly. New furnace, central air, New Windows, vinyl siding, roofing. Varnished wooden floors throughout. New cupboards that I built myself to match the restored look. Mrs. Hook spent hours stripping and refinishing woodwork. New bathroom finished in wood with whirl pool tub.

Started the renovation , including the new barn and arena in 1997 and still have another year or so to the finish the back part. I think I will have to work until I am 100 to pay for it all.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck

Chuck;
I have attached a front view and an inside view of the barn. I Know you are bringing your horses home soon and if you want any futher detail I can explain our contruction or send more detailed pictures.

[Image: IMG_0840.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0538.jpg]
Hook(ed)......on Horses