Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We have a new baby..
quote:
Originally posted by 3B_Lady

Thank you all for the compliments and suggestions for her name. I really like them. And it would be spelled Belle if that's what we end up with. But I like "Too Much Beauty" too! Hmmm, decisions, decisions. [?] Appygirl, she's pretty much the same on her other side. The white isn't quite as high up on her other side. And, Hook, if the cannon bones are what I think they are (is it the part of the leg between the hocks and hooves?), yes. I told my husband that I think she's gonna be a tall drink of water! [Smile] Now we need to study the books to decide if she's an Overo or what. We're new at this, ya know! Hubby had QH's in Arizona and isn't too familiar with Paints and I'm a TOTAL greenhorn! Well, I'll be sure to post a picture of my mare's foal when she does her thing! By the way Hook, isn't your mare overdue by a week or so?

I think she will be at least as tall as her mom. How about "I Two MMM Beauty"
Our mare Flash is now at 10 days overdue at 350 days and counting and counting.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
My guess is she's an overo since the white doesn't cross over her back, and she has that blazed face.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

OK, I'm doing chants to Jazz and Mama Flash! C'mon ladies...you can do it!! [Wink]
Stormie, here's the info I have (no extra pics yet): Momma is a sorrel, papa is a Bay/Overo. Baby is pretty much the same on both sides except the white isn't as high up on her right side. No white on her back at all. That's why I'm leaning toward Overo too. Momma doesn't like us too close right now. She won't even come up to eat until we've backed off. All three of our mares were pretty much left alone to eat and breed before we got them. Not much human interaction at all from what we understand. Just out in pastures with about 130 other horses. We've just recently started to calm them down to our touch and got them to come up to us with treats in exchange for petting and nuzzling. But I'm hoping that in the next week we'll be able to get closer and give Momma some loving...hoping anyway! Well, thank all of you for your support! Now, Jazz and Mama Flash....GET IT IN GEAR GIRLS!!
3B Lady - she's a gorgeous filly. Wish we could have gotten one marked like her. BTW, she's an overo...no white across the back.
Boots

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tell me, and I forget. Teach me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I learn. – Ben Franklin
Truth is not determined by a majority vote.
- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
(Now Pope Benedict XVI)

Got any blue eyes?
Are her mane & tail black? If so, I think she'll be registered as a bay overo. If not, she'll be called either sorrel/overo or chestnut/overo. If the color confuses you, the APHA will help.
Let us know what you decide to name her.
Colonel's Beautiful Belle?
I'm trying to get the Colonel Freckles breeding on the sire's side in there....very valuable.
I'll say it again, she's an absolute BEAUTY.
Boots

Tell me, and I forget. Teach me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I learn. – Ben Franklin
Truth is not determined by a majority vote.
- Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger
(Now Pope Benedict XVI)

She is probably a Sabino which APHA is going to call Overo. I hate how they group things.

The white over the back thing is not a good judge. It's what APHA uses but it isn't the best bet. Extensive forms of all of the 'Overo' patterns can have white across the back without the Tobino gene. Many of them get listed as Tovero because of that.

Then you add in the mixed patterns and you can really have a horse that has only "overo" patterns but is listed as Tovero because of the stupid back rule.

And then to make it worst you have the minimals and incompletes which can look solid but carry the gene. I have an AQHA mare that is a Sabino Rabicano but you wouldn't know it unless you knew what to look for. I have photos on the conformation board of a mare named Cupid is is a Sabino AQHA but looks like a normal QH.
Boy oh boy, I've been studying a booklet that I got from APHA about classifying paints and does it ever get confusing! From what I can gather from all of your input and that booklet, she probably is a bay/overo like her papa. Her mane and tail are black. Can't get close enough to check out her eyes. Momma don't like us getting too close. My hubby told me that he doesn't want another horse with a name that starts with a 'B'. Our three mares are Blue, Blondie and Beauty and he gets the names all screwed up! We're calling our little place Three B Ranch because that's what we started with. I told him that it doesn't matter what the registered name is...he can call her George or Fred if he wants to! Our granddaughters, ages 8 and 6, are coming to visit her this weekend and they're going to put in their nominations for a name too. I have really enjoyed watching that little girlie running around the pasture with Beauty. It's such a thrill !!
Got a couple more pictures of the baby! Beauty is becoming more comfortable with us around her now. Can't keep my eyes off her!! We're thinking of naming her "Three B Colonel's Rain". She came the day after we got 6.2 inches of rain, so it's befitting.

[Image: Image11.jpg]

[Image: Image25.jpg]

[Image: Image23.jpg]