Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring is here...and so are the BEES!
Found the hive Friday, beekeeper removed it today to his house for a mere (cough cough) $325!!!! That was a BARGAIN!! Others were more than twice as much...and MORE if relocated rather than killed (couldn't do that....) Considered keeping it until I did some reading....pretty destructive if they re-nest on your house. Then there are the horses and bees can get aggresive... but the hive itself is very cool!! Got bee-educated! White stuff is the honeycomb. Apparantly unusual to have it hanging on a tree and no protective structure.

[Image: 000_0462.jpg]

[Image: 000_0463.jpg]

Looks smaller in picture than it was. Beekeeper's wife came too and wants the pics... does elementary school programs and girlscout stuff teaching kids on bees. ...and loves horses! Dtr taking riding lessons! No wonder we yakked a bit....Big Grin] Would be neat to have bees except for the stinging...he didn't get stung today, but says he usually does even through his suit. So, a pass on that hobby[Tongue]
Those are neat pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Your weather is sure warmer than ours. Below freezing here with a strong wind and bright sunshine.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
LOL. Thats great!
Girl Scouts eh? Good cookies! :-)
Nice pics you got!
Thanks for sharing!

<font face="Tahoma"><font color="teal">"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."

"The horse, gives you the freedom from all life's challenges." H.Z.</font id="teal"></font id="Tahoma">

Dang! I just noticed the weather! Lcuky you! you've got nice and dry weather! I on the other hand have over 5 inches of snow for just today!

I NEED SPRING!

Send it over!

<font face="Tahoma"><font color="teal">"In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart."

"The horse, gives you the freedom from all life's challenges." H.Z.</font id="teal"></font id="Tahoma">

I'm going to be going to a bee keeping class this friday at a local school, we live in an area with many apple orchards and they are encouraging the public to have hives! My family kept bees when I was a hild but they always died off.

Here in the Northeast, we have hornets/wasps that build these huge nests underground. Last summer I had the unfortunate experience of disturbing one when I was gardening. Got stung quite a few times, itched unbearably for weeks and to top it off after about 2 weeks I developed a
severe case of hives...guess it was a delayed reaction. I'm not looking forward to bee season![xx(]. I'll never forget the sight of all of those bees streaming out of the ground. I don't think I've ever run that fast before in my life!!!
&lt;'\__~
_(( // ====

OMG!! I am SO afraid of bees! I, too, stepped in a nest in the ground. Where do you live? I have never seen anything like that! I think I would move if I found something like that. YUK!!!
Those are some really neat pics, Bones. I'm not a fan of bees (or their stingers at least).

My worst fear during fall riding is encountering yellow jackets when they go to ground. (Knocking on wood here) haven't stirred any up on our rides but have come through shortly after other riders had ticked them off.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Beccajane, I'm in Northern San Diego County. Had a LOT of rain for here, maybe 3-4" the last 2 weeks. Parts of stalls are mud pits. Windy and cool, upper 50's to low 60's last 2 weeks...even had a hail storm last weekend. Looked like shaved ice piled up by the barn...really unusual for us, and esp. this time of year. NIghts have been in the 40's and 30's..that is COLD for here. Then again, could be high 70's next week..sure a late winter.

S Bower...I can't imagine disturbing a nest! These were European honey bees, but the beekeeper says they also can get protective/aggressive if feel threatened. Cool to watch it...but glad it's gone.

I

My mom is very allergic to bees and wasps. I was tested and found not to be allergic when I was little(allergic to a lot of other odd things though!). I never really thought about it until a few years ago when we had hornets in a part of the barn wall and I got stung on my hand. I calmly walked up to the house and by the time I got there my arm burned all they way up to shoulder like it was on fire. I had headaches for two weeks after, it trigged a migrain that day. Turns out I am now allergic, not that bad but each time it will get worst. I didn't know that any signs of pain that isn't withen so many inches of the sting is a sign of an allergic reaction to it. Two summers ago I got stung on the jaw and I was sick for weeks after that one too. I really hate those things!! So last year we had a problem with them behind the barn. There just seemed to be tons of them. I looked and looked for a nest and never did find it. Found out that WD40 does a nice job killing them. I sat in the barn watching them. They didn't really go into attack mode that much but they where hanging around because of the flies. They would attack the flies and then fly off with them. I looked it up on the net and they eat flies. I'm hoping that if we keep the flies down around the barn they won't be hanging around this year.
We had a swarm of honey bees take up residence in the hollow tree in the yard about 15 feet from the ground. There were so many you could hear them buzzing in the hot weather as they cooled the hive. They didn't bother us and we enjoyed watching them. One thing neat was watching them drink out of the fish pond and fly back to the nest. They lasted about three years.

Yellow jackets, on the other hand don't last too long when I find their nest.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson