Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horse coughing...
Thanks you guys for making me feel better...I feel like you guys can always ease my fears! I think you guys are right, I may have been freaking out for no reason--I just dont want anything to be wrong with my sweet little mare--I already love her so much and anticipate so many great riding days with her! Thanks a bunch!
P.S. When is riding whether gonna start!?
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man."

Horses are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

quote:
Originally posted by horselvr0405

So, Hook, then you basically have that horse with heaves retired? Or, do you still take her on some rides around your place? This is really depressing. I have been so excited--this is my first horse as an adult--my lifelong dream--now I may not be able to ride her that much?? I am totally keeping my fingers crossed that it doesnt develop into a long term thing! Looking forward to that vet coming on Wed. that is for sure! You know, come to think of it, besides the work I was doing in the barn, we had to also feed her this really dry dry hay due to drought around here. I have recently found some good hay again--and now am not feeding my mare the "dry" hay--hopefully that was part of the problem and now with this new hay and me not working near her in the barn should all make it go away! I sounds almost like it is similiar to "croup" in kids--very dry cough more like expelling air--sometimes kids that get croup get it for a few years here and there, then they grow out of it. I can only wait and see.....thanks....

Sugar is retired. I have one foal from her and Profit just turning two. Nice baby. Sugar is now 19 and still looks 10. Warm moist weather bothers her a lot and we have to extra care in managing her breathing. We do water her hay by pouring water over it and letting it drain off before putting in her stall. When she is fed outside with the other horses it does not get watered.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions that your horse has heaves just because she coughs a little when you ride. Sometimes Hook coughs but he has no breathing problems at all. Heck, I sometimes cough with out reason. All sorts of reasons for a cough from a cold or virus to dust or just a tickly throat.

The main thing to remember is that horses lungs are very sensitive to airborne dust. The amount of air a hose breathes is huge. Never, NEVER feed your horse dusty hay with out watering it first. There are some molds that appear as fine smokey appearing dust when you first separate the flake that should never be fed, even with watering. Make sure that the hay you feed smells fresh.

Let us know what the vet says.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Hi guys! Just wanted to let you know I lunged Josanna again tonight--not one cough!! Yeah! Maybe it was just the fact that I was working in the barn and that she was eating dusty hay--both of those have stopped!
We will still see what the vet says though!
Thanks agian!
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man."

Good news. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Yay! Good to hear that. Hopefully it was just the dusty hay and barn. I'd still let the vet give her a good listen when he comes.

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Hi there again! Well, the vet came out today--and had a good listen to her lungs and all was well!! YEAH! [Big Grin]
He said it was probably due to all the barn work/dusty hay and that it may have just even been allergies--but if it starts up again/continues he wants to do some sort of breathing test. Good for now though!
Had her vaccines and teeth floated today too! So exciting![8)]
Poor thing will be sore for a few days...
next up on the agenda....shoes! UGH!
Thanks again for all your support during my freak-out-over-nothing stage!

Yay! Glad to hear she's fine. Sounds like you're gearing up for riding season!

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader