Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horse coughing...
Hi there! Its me again..I have a question about horse coughing. My mare has began to cough --not productive--and only when she is like trotting or something. I noticed this a few weeks ago--out on a ride--I only have had her a couple of weeks--anyways--I have been doing alot of barn work--moving dirt around and such and she always hangs out with me during my work....she is pastured and can get out of the elements by running under the run in barn...that is where all the dirt is that I am sifting through--due to it being a 50 year old site for tractor repair there is alot of metal and stuff that I am getting rid of every weekend--so I have been stirring up a heck of alot of dirt and dust...
She is not appearing sick in any way and the coughing isnt during the whole ride--seems only when she is like warming up....
Has anyone ever observed allergies to dust causing a cough but then eventually going away??
The vet is coming for the first time (thank goodness) next wed. so i plan on telling him all this. Also, she sometimes has a slight watery discharge from her nose. Sounds and seems like allergies to me, but what do you all think?
Thanks a bunch! I cant believe this...this horse is from a friend and I dont think she would willingly sell me a horse that is sick with heaves or something--
Thanks!
It could be caused by the dust, or it could be something else. With your explanation that she coughs when she first starts exercising, my first thought went to heaves. How old is your mare? I'd recommend getting a vet out to look her over.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Hi Appygirl--my mare is 12...I know that heaves generally happen in older horses also....yeah..the vet is coming on Wed. so that is good--looking forward to what he says about that!
Thanks.
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man."

Horses are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Hi horselvr;
My old games horse, ( 19 now, hard to believe)go into some moldy hay a few years ago and developed a slight cough which developed into her present state of heaves. she is still okay for very light riding but cannot game anymore.

The vet will be able to help you but you horse may just have a respiratory infection. One thing we do that i would suggest is that you water her hay to keep the always present dust down until you have a diagnosis. Horses lungs are especially sensitive to dust and I suggest that you keep her away from the dust during you work or lightly damping the area the day before to keep the dust down.

There are various herbs and supplements available that may help if needed to management the cough if it develops into a long term thing.

Keep your fingers crossed and keep her out of the dust.
Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
So, Hook, then you basically have that horse with heaves retired? Or, do you still take her on some rides around your place? This is really depressing. I have been so excited--this is my first horse as an adult--my lifelong dream--now I may not be able to ride her that much?? I am totally keeping my fingers crossed that it doesnt develop into a long term thing! Looking forward to that vet coming on Wed. that is for sure! You know, come to think of it, besides the work I was doing in the barn, we had to also feed her this really dry dry hay due to drought around here. I have recently found some good hay again--and now am not feeding my mare the "dry" hay--hopefully that was part of the problem and now with this new hay and me not working near her in the barn should all make it go away! I sounds almost like it is similiar to "croup" in kids--very dry cough more like expelling air--sometimes kids that get croup get it for a few years here and there, then they grow out of it. I can only wait and see.....thanks....
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man."

Horses are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

2 things for you here

I had a cold come through my barn, brought in by a new horse from alberta. New horse didnt get sick either!
Horses were coughing pretty bad, real listlest, hanging thier heads & feelin sorry for themselves.

Had the vet out, it was a virus, so treat the symptoms and let them ride it out was all we could do.

To help with the cough, I asked about soaking the hay. Vet said go one better, and submerse the hay in water, and serve it that way.
Lots more work, you wont believe how much dirt comes off, even your cleanest hay. So I was draining big tubs 3x a day. Well worth the effort though, it did help.
Sounds like your horse is not coughing nearly this bad.

A very long time ago (Like 20 yrs) I had a 3 yr old filly. She had been severly starved, from 1 1/2 yrs, to 2 yrs old. (6 mos) in a tie stall, in a barn. Then I got her.
Long story short, I bedded her large boxstall (about 10x20 ft) down with straw, real good and deep. I fed her well for the night, and came back in the morning. She must have ate non-stop, because about half the straw was GONE!
She also got a cough, like the one you describe.
Not all the time, just one or 2 coughs, when riding, once in a while.
Did eventually go away, but took a few years. Only happened once in a while. Never got heave lines or anything. Had that horse for 22 yrs total.
Try to keep the dust down to a minimum, whenever you can.
Ride safe, return safe.

I should mention that I had this horse for a year, and she was fully recovered, before this happened.
My above post sounds like I put a starved horse in a stall full of straw. Not the case.
I did come to learn over the 22 yrs of owning her, that the starvation "broke" something in her mind, and she never ever could stop herself from eating.
She never got over it.
Monitored her for the rest of her life.
Ride safe, return safe.

I have a horse that has heaves, the former owners called it a dust allergy. Heaves is not just for older horses, she is almost eight and has had the condition for almost 4 years. She only has a cough when she eats dry hay, and oat products. She had this problems since she was almost four recieved moldy hay, never colicked but coughing started. The major key is wetting the hay, you need to soak the hay for at least 30 minutes and give it to them in a tub they can use the natural grazing condition. My horse does not have any heave lines either, I feed her a couple of supplements that help. Msm is good for decreasing the respiratory inflamation in the throat. I have heard that anihist has helped alot of heaving horses, i try to go as natural as possible without having to use the steroids. The thing that worked the best was a supplement called cough free, it is a herbal formulation that helps with allergies, stable cough and mild heaved horses.
Another thing with heavie horses is they do better turned out in the open air, i only have a large lean to but have over 10 acres of safe pasture for her to run to her hearts desire.
There is also a yahoo group that has been very helpful called a breath of fresh air, the manager is a vet tech she has helped alot with chloe. Heaves is basically copd(chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) in horses. I been riding chloe 3x a week since i got herlast decemember she would always cough above the trot, but with all the haywetting, clean environment and extra care i have not have heard cough since and now we are cantering for at least 10-20 min. Time will tell, the worst are the hot summer months which i will be prepared to give her cortisone shots if need be.
You can still ride your horse even if she does have heaves; you just can't ride her 'hard'. I had an older mare (20) who had heaves. She would cough a little at first and then she would be fine. We never rode hard, just kind of moseyed along.
Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Don't get too depressed yet...a cough doesn't always mean it's heaves. I had an older mare that coughed during the winter when on she was on hay...especially when I wanted to trot or lope her, but then after a couple of weeks off hay in the spring/summer, she didn't cough anymore. Your mare may just need to clear the dust out of her throat'/ lungs from a whole winter of having her nose in hay!! The vet should be able to tell you what's going on. And like everyone else said, wetting down the hay can be really helpful.
Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show